+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 7 Weeks post-op - Gym question  (Read 1649 times)

Limper

7 Weeks post-op - Gym question
« on: March 04, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »

I'm seven weeks post op and so far this thing is pretty great.  The pain was gone immediately after the surgery, which by itself was pretty miraculous, but perhaps more amazing is the level of functionality that has returned.  Bending to put on my sock and shoe in the morning is a little challenging, but I can manage.  Other than that, I would say I'm at a higher level of function than I was before the surgery.  I caught myself running down a flight of stairs a few days ago and had to remind myself to take it easy.  The limp is gone, I'm back at the gym, and with the exception of some tenderness around the scar I don't have any reminders.  I should have had this done years ago. 

So - a question: at the gym I am avoiding anything that increases the amount of weight on my joints.  No squats, nothing where I need to stand with weights - like curls or military presses, no lunges, no impact.  Mostly I limit myself to the various weight machines.  However, I wonder if leg extensions, adduction machines, leg curls, and so on put a "load" on the hip joint that I should avoid.  Any thoughts?

Limper     

stephen1254

Re: 7 Weeks post-op - Gym question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:52:37 AM »
There are several threads on this. I was cleared to do deep knee bends at about 5 weeks and I did them assisted until about 7 weeks. At 6 months I began adding 50 lbs and I've kept it there until my 1 year checkup, in another month. I haven't discussed any other leg exercises with my Dr. beyond variations on the squat. I would think there wouldn't be an issue with light extensions and curls, probable more of a concern with adduction and abduction machines. The key at this point is light weights at least until the 6 month mark - I think most hippys wait at least a year before ramping up the weights.

The key is what you have identified - the load on the joint. Definitely avoid impact till after 6 months and keep things light on leg work. At 11 months I have no restrictions on upper body work, but I am still very cautious with leg work.
RBHR Dr. Callander 3/27/12

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 10:57:36 AM »
I think you've got several things to consider (in order of importance):

• The healing of the bone into the device. This needs to happen without disruption. That's one of the reasons for the wait to start lifting heavier. It's like glue being allowed to set, once that happens it will be as strong or stronger than before, but it needs the time while fluid. Later, once the basic healing is done, like with preventing osteoporosis, lifting (with care) increases bone density and growth.
  • Protection of the weakened bone while recovering. Blood loss to the area needs time to recover, so prevention of both neck fractures and collapse of other areas is important
  • Recovery of the stabilizing muscles, which have been weakened necessarily. The larger muscles recover more easily, and will transfer the any stress to the smaller ones. So in my opinion, we need to take care of these with core exercises and other (side leg lifts, etc.) that are not usually addressed by machines.

These are, I think some of the motivating influences for the six month restrictions on weight over 50 lbs, running, etc.

As to machines, I was ok with low weights on the leg press, but that was something I did at 12 weeks, supervised by a PT and keeping good tabs on how I felt. I did the adduction machine some times, but at that time it didn't 'feel' right, so stopped. I didn't do the other machines until about six months along. Everyone is different, though.

I'd talk it over with your surgeon, see what they think is good for you. Nothing wrong with waiting a bit, easing into it and being patient. You get back to the heavy workouts soon enough, you want this to last a long time.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hipnhop

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:57:44 PM »
I was back in the gym after seven weeks but light stuff only.  The main thing is to stop if anything hurts and not to push it. You might just want to chill for a little while longer. What's the rush?  I know - easier said then done. 

After two HRs I am back everything I used to do.  It comes back, Just be patient and be smart.

Good luck
3/2011 and 2/2012 HR Dr. Craig Thomas

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »
I, like you, started back at around 7 weeks, and only did upper body machines.  I did no weight squats (not real low), and very low weight leg extension and leg curls.

I cleared all of that with my surgeon first.  I think that's prudent.

And do be careful to not run.  You're entering the danger zone for femoral neck fractures.  I know you've heard it a million times, but it's a marathon recovery, not a sprint.

Andy
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 05:02:45 PM »
The danger zone indeed.  You're feeling great, coming out of the recovery period and realizing what the new hip can do, less to no pain,...you want to conquer the world.  Like Andy said be careful.  The femoral neck is still fresh in the recovery process. 
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat