+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Extreme Fatigue after Surgery  (Read 6688 times)

Lisa

Extreme Fatigue after Surgery
« on: July 14, 2007, 08:39:24 PM »
I had the BHR resurfacing on May 14, with no complications, no bruising at all, & no pain meds needed after the second day. I had a blood transfusion on May 16 and my energy remained low. After about the third week, a heavy fatigue set in, similar to the fatigue before getting the flu. I had bloodwork done and was found to have adrenal insufficiency, for which I am taking 2.5 mg of prednisone for a few weeks (the hope being that this low dose would help to "kick start" the adrenal glands). While I have improved a little, I am still really wiped out. I am 51 and have been very fit for the past 30 years. I still work out and am gaining strength slowly in the left hip & leg. After 10 years of pain, it is wonderful to be able to move and not have to go to work or out in any public situation and pretend to be "fine."

Pat, you mentioned in another post that it took several months to regain energy. Is this common? Has anyone else experienced this? FYI - I have normally low HR, BP and a temp of 96.1. I have had a temp of 98-98.5 since the surgery. No other ailments have been found in lab work. This fatigue makes it really difficult to think and accomplish anything, not to mention the effect on general quality of life. So, if anyone has any suggestions, I certainly would appreciate reading them. thanks!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Extreme Fatigue after Surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2007, 09:06:23 PM »
Hi Lisa

It is quite common for people to take several to six months or more to gain their normal energy level back.  Hip resurfacing is a major surgery and takes it toll on the body. I think that younger people usually get their strength back faster, but there have been many younger people that have been what they call "turtles" with a slow recovery.

It is difficult to judge ahead of time just how long it takes to recover from major surgery.

It really took me a good six months to recover to my normal energy level, but I was 61 years old. I don't think you can do much to push your recovery except to accept that your body is doing it's best.  We are all different.  I took a lot of naps and was lucky that I did not work.  If I had been working, I know I might have made it to work, but after work I would have been in my lounge chair napping all evening. 

Lisa, you are only 2 months post op.  I have heard that it takes quite awhile just to get over the anasthesia of the surgery.  I would be easy on yourself and just let things take their own course.  If the pred can help, that is great, but it sounds like you just need a lot of rest. You will find there will be plateaus in your recovery.  I found a big change at 4 months and 6 months. It is different for everyone.

Please be patient.  When all is said and done - we all end up recovered and happy.  We just can't predict a time line.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 06:40:17 PM »
Yes, I also could not believe the extreme fatigue I had after surgery.  I remember still feeling so tired even at three months.  That is why I chose not to go back to work until 2 1/2 months, and when I did it was part time.  I am self employed so luckily I get to choose the hours I work but unfortunately when I don't work, I don't make any money.    :-[

I think some of it is the anesthesia and the other part is your body healing from major surgery.  It is definitely normal.

Vicky
LBHR Dr. Bose Dec 01 05

Lisa

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 11:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the responses. It is very helpful to learn about others having similar experiences. I will have my adrenal functioning tested in another couple of weeks, and will be off this very low dose of prednisone at that time as well. I feel like a little energy is coming back. I went to the YMCA and did a light workout and treadmill for a while - it felt really great to do some activity again. At this age, the less activity we do the faster the entire body degenerates & I feel like I'm turning to jello. So I have to get going because I'm back to work and need the energy that exercise provides. The interesting thing is that my brain is still instructing my body to walk with that loping gait I had before the surgery. So, I really have to make a point to retrain the legs to walk normally now that there's no pain.  ::)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat