+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bearing Weight Issue  (Read 1781 times)

kimberly52

Bearing Weight Issue
« on: March 11, 2013, 10:35:54 AM »
On Saturday I did something really stupid.  I was feeling really good and decided to move my queen size bed with oak headboard attached. Yes, I know it was stupid but I am concerned because I am in pretty serious pain when trying to bear weight on the hip.  My entire let hurts down to the outside of my ankle.  I had to call in sick today because I don't think I can manage to walk the 3 blocks to my office.

Has anything like this ever happened to any of you prior to your surgery?  I am scheduled for 4/6/13.  At this point, it has been 3 days and I am unsure whether it will feel well enough to muddle along until my date.

Thanks in advance.

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Dan L

• LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012
Re: Bearing Weight Issue
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:01:00 PM »
I've done lots of dumb things before and a couple after, but never to the point where weight bearing was not doable.  You may want to give the doc's office a ring.

Dan
LBHR Dr Brooks, 10/2011; RBHR 2/2012

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »
Agree with Dan, call the doctor, ask them about it. It may be a muscle, slightly irritated nerve, something that with rest will calm down.

I would think they could continue it, but call them to make sure.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

hipgirlatheart

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 11:11:45 PM »
Wondering how you're doing and if you've been checked yet?

Tim Bratten

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 10:06:02 AM »
Hi Kim
Here's my story about overdoing it before surgery. I was still rock climbing before my first surgery and one day I went out and forced some very compressed moves over my left hip (the one scheduled for surgery). That evening I felt fine, but the next day the pain evolved into the most intense pain experience I've ever had. On a scale from one to ten this was eleven. Maybe I should mention every hip doctor I've been to has expressed surprise at the lack of pain I feel over my hip condition. In other words, I'm apparently not very sensitive to hip pain. Well this was very, very painful. Besides taking some pretty heavy pain meds, the only way I could relax sufficiently to breath comfortably was to lay flat on my back on the floor with my knees bent up. Driving was impossible, and one time, when I had to get in the car to go for a medical study, the pain forced my to kneel on the passenger seat and face backwards with my arms draped over the seat. As I recall, this very intense pain lasted about 5 days when it finally began to subside, although my entire thigh continued to feel numb until (and after) the surgery. However I did manage to recover somewhat and I recall hobbling along for a three mile walk a few times without much adverse effect.

I'm being pretty careful not to do this to my right hip (which will need surgery in the near future). I'm climbing regularly but I'm not forcing any extreme movements over my hip. So far, so good.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 10:22:36 AM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 04:43:02 PM »
Hi Kim,

Prior to surgery, I don't recall ever having one single event cause instant pain, if that's what happened to you.

But, I would have episodes that would last days, usually the day after a strenuous activity.  I recall grocery shopping, and my hip hurting so bad just walking with the cart that I had to sit down for 5 minutes to rest.

You should check with your doctor, but you're probably just experiencing the pain that a bad hip is going to give you.

The good news is......that will be GONE after surgery!  Good luck.
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

kimberly52

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 07:25:54 PM »
Well today it finally turning around and I was able to walk the 3 blocks however it was not fun. Thank you all for your responses and I see from Tim's response that I am not alone.  And I too also experience episodes like you do Imgetinold after strenuous activity and even had instances when not doing anything strenuous.

The first time it happened was around Christmas in the mall.  It just happened where I could not bear weight and I ended up having to hobble in some serious pain to my car having to stop and hold handrails to rest. It was ridiculous.  It happened a few other times too and I did tell my doc's NP about it but when she didn't seem too worried I figured it was part of what is wrong and so I didn't call them this time.

I was just wondering about others and what is happening to me and whether this was "normal" for someone on the short list for a hip job or whether I should be alarmed and really curtail activities until D-Day or should I say H-Day.

Anyway, I think I will play it safe and not do anymore  strenuous activity until this is all over with.  And yes Imgetinold, soon it will be GONE!

Kim :)

Dr. Michael Clarke
4/6/13
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

imgetinold

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 09:21:46 PM »
From what you've described, it is totally normal for an arthritic hip.  But, keep doing activities to what you CAN tolerate.  If you, like most of us, are typically a very active person, then you will be chomping at the bit to do more before you're "allowed".  So, stay as active as you can tolerate up to your surgery date.

Then.......learn to be patient.  It seems like forever until you can start being more active (6 months to a year, depending on your surgeon).  But, it passes quickly. 

Good luck!
Andy
- Right Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 1/11/2012
- Left Biomet uncemented HR with Dr. Gross on 10/28/2020

BOILER UP!

Tin Soldier

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 04:39:50 PM »
I didn't see if you had talked to the doc.  I'm no doc, but I sort of suspect you'd have to do a lot to the bone, like break your femoral neck, to really screw up a surgery schedule.  Not saying its a good idea to overdo it before surgery.  Although if you do push your self within limits, the pain may be a good reminder as to why you are having surgery.  A confidence-builder in that you've made the right decision.   
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

kimberly52

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 08:37:46 PM »
I agree with you on the confirmation that it is the right decision.  Not that anyone wants pain, but with some days that are really good that leave you wondering whether you should go through with it, this brings yo back to reality.

From here on out I vow I will not vacillate about the decision and forge ahead.  Can't wait to be one the other side where I will be so much closer to getting back to my old self again.  Doc said I can even go back to running eventually.  :D
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat