+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: One year one month post revision and doing great  (Read 7172 times)

Tim Bratten

One year one month post revision and doing great
« on: March 14, 2013, 11:27:59 AM »
For anyone who hasn't previously heard my story, I had a hip resurfacing done by an Argentine surgeon who botched the job bad. After a very difficult year and a half I decided to have revision surgery with Koen De Smet, who fixed me up with a large head ceramic on ceramic THR.

Well now it's been one year and one month I have to say, I feel like this THR is kicking butt (I hope that's not too crude for surfacehippy). I have been quite active (mostly hiking and rock climbing) without any real pain and the system has been pretty functional with respect to my rock climbing needs, with continuous gradual improvement over time. Over the past six weeks, to my pleasant surprise, I have noticed significant gains in flexibility and strength over the hip at more extreme angles. Just yesterday I managed to do a couple of boulder problems that involve very compressed, powerful moves over the operated hip. These are a couple of problems which I had had come to feel I might never manage again, and now I can enjoy watching young climbers, half my age, struggling to flex their hips on moves I can do. I guess I should get around to filming some of this, because it's even starting to surprise me. 

I sent De Smet an x-ray recently and told him I was doing fine. At six months he had told me the implant looks "perfect", but this time (at one year) he only talked about my my unoperated hip (I had included the unoperated hip because I was curious what he would say).  He said:

Hi Tim, looking to your x-rays you are indeed in need of a replacement of the right hip!
Everything depends on your complaints?!

It is bone to bone.
If you have enough problems do not wait another year.
If you are doing fine, just wait until there are enough problems

The thing is, I really don't have that much pain (at least compared to what I read about in here), but I didn't have that much pain with the other hip either, at least until I pushed it too hard. But now, seeing all the functionality I'm getting with the operated hip, maybe resurfacing this year is not such a bad idea.

I hope no one takes this post of mine wrong. I have recovered really well from revision surgery, but I'm not (just) gloating about how great I'm doing (although it's true). I guess what I want to do is let people know that there's still hope for an active, pain free life, even after revision surgery (which seems to be one of the big terrors here at surfacehippy). Well, at least it's possible if you go to one of the best surgeons in the world. 

Tim
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 11:05:00 AM by Tim Bratten »
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

hernanu

Re: One year one month post revision and doing great
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 12:53:27 PM »
I think it's great Tim, and a good report. You must also be ready for a Belgian trip too.

It's great to hear how well you're doing with the revision. Just shows how important choosing a good surgeon is.

If and when you do the other one, as a bilat, I can tell you that the second went as well or better that the first. HR or THR?

Excellent to hear how well you're doing.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tim Bratten

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »
All the evidence I've seen suggests HR is the better choice for me (done with the right surgeon). On the other hand, I can just hear a voice saying: "some people never learn".  However, it will be HR.
Botched LHR by Dr. Vilicich 06-17-2010 revised by Koen De Smet 02-14-2012
RHR Koen De Smet 02-05-2014

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »
I think De Smet will do right by you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Mike D

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 05:29:20 PM »
Great to read that,Tim.
I'm about 5 months behind you with my THR so I'm hoping I can get to that level of flexibility that you have. The signs are good at this stage so with some more physio work, I should be ok.
I think your comment about THR v HR is a good one.
There's nothing to be feared for anyone who gets THR, and it may even be preferable for anyone who's unsure about HR and would worry about having it.
Personally, If I'd been a candidate for HR, it's the route I would have taken without a doubt and like you, I hope that should I ever need the other one doing then it will be HR.
If it has to be another THR,so be it.
I think that maybe when resurfacing is not possible for whatever reason, the THR becomes easy to accept.
 That's the way it worked for me-once I got over the disappointment of not being a HR candidate,
I couldn't wait to end the pain and get my THR.
Keep up the good work,Tim.
Right Ceramic THR
Ronan Treacy   Birmingham R.O.H
8 August 2012

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 05:50:26 PM »
Great to hear that your doing well Tim. Keep us posted mate!
Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM