+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: I am so confused and need help!!  (Read 2732 times)

kimberly52

I am so confused and need help!!
« on: March 29, 2013, 09:24:09 AM »
I made an appt with Dr. Su way back in October 2012.  Subesquently I decided to have my resurface with Dr. Michael Clarke.  When I called to cancel my appt with Su I explained that I will be having it done with Clarke.  She did not say in any words anything about my choice but she strongly recommended that I keep my appt with Su.  I told her that I am scheduled for April 6th and if Su did schedule me would I have to wait as long as I did just to get in to see him.  She said it would only be a matter of weeks that I would have to wait.

I need opinions please!  I want the best doc.  Clarke has done thousands all posterior with cement, Birmingham.  I think Su has done about 1,300 and cementless.  Correct me if I am wrong.

I appreciate any and all advice here.

Thanks,

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

hernanu

Re: I am so confused and need help!!
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 09:42:30 AM »
Hi Kim,

I agree that Dr. Su is an excellent surgeon. Dr. Clarke also has great credentials, and seems to more than adequately fit the profile of what we want in an HR surgeon.

I had mine done by a surgeon who had done 800 at the time, and am very satisfied. In the end, it's hard to give you advice one way or the other, since it seems that you've got two very good options.

In my opinion (and there are plenty of others), you're in good hands either way. Sorry I can't be more specific - if Dr. Clarke had done less than two hundred the choice would be easy.

I went with my doctor because I felt comfortable with him and he had the appropriate experience. It is in the end your choice, but you've narrowed it down to two excellent candidates in my view.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:55:21 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

evant

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 12:23:03 PM »
I agree with Hernan.

You look like you're in a win-win situation here.

Listen carefully to your heart and your head - they really will give you the answer that makes you feel so comfortable and confident with your choice.

rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

stevel

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 04:34:08 PM »
Hi Kim,

Dr. Su has done over 2000 resurfacings according to the listing on this site.
He released data over a year ago for over 1000 resurfacings and it should be located on this site.  I believe there were only six complications.
He primarily installs the Birmingham, BHR, posterior approach, but I heard he also installs the cementless Biomet upon request.
Once he reviewed my x-rays, I was offered a surgery date as early as a month later.
Sometimes there are cancellations and you can get in earlier if your schedule is flexible.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 06:58:11 PM »
I dont know much about Dr Clarke but have heard of Su. But dont put too much emphesis on surgical approach and cement etc. The approach generally the surgeon will take will be the one they were taught in surgeon school(some will change the approach in some circumstances) but generally it will be the same. The BHR which is the the the best devcie out there with hundreds of thousands implanted uses cement(yes it uses it differently to any other device) and it has a track record longer than any other device out there with astonsihingly good results. Cement I personly think is not the evil some peolpe seem to think it is, Watch Mark Bloomfields interview he explains a lot about the predudice gainst cement.
Im sure either surgeon in your case will do an excellent job just choose who ever you feel isright for you.

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Roberta

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 04:52:36 PM »
Keep the appointment with Dr. Su. You will not be sorry. I have had bilateral hip resurfacings with him, 2 month apart. The first time I went ome in 2 days and the second time after one night at the HSS. It took 7 minutes to ride home by cab with my husband and we managed very well from there. Ice packs were at the ready. A visiting nurse came to the house almost on arrival and checked everything out for safety.

I have checked all over the world and talked to many surgeons and patients. I believe that Dr. Su is the best for what you want. If yo want to see a video that is not yet complete, just to give you an idea, send me an email at russellk100@gmail.com.

At an international conference of surgeons Dr. Su was the one chosen to demonstrate hip resurfacing live. They should know.

Roberta Russell
right HR with Dr. Su, 12-18-2012
left HR with Dr. Su, 2-15-2013 on both acetabular cup 50mm, head 44mm, both cemented

RJKELLY

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 12:17:16 PM »
I had bilateral resurfacing at HSS (Oct '11 and Jul '12).  I researched the topic ad nausea and conducted many interviews with patients from HSS.  I can tell you that again and again Dr. Su's name kept surfacing (no pun intended) as one of the best, if not THE best in this field.  From my research it's all about the numbers/experience with resurfacing.  One thing you also need to consider is the hospital.  HSS stands supreme and I can attest to that after my surgeries.

mustang4172

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 04:00:32 PM »
Kimberly,

Stay with Dr. Su and HSS.  I have nothing but praise for Dr. Su and for the care I received at HSS.

Bilateral by Dr. Su 12/31/2012

kimberly52

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 09:14:03 PM »
Thank you all for your input.  I am very fortnate to have two top docs to select from.  I do not have a number but was told by Clarke's PA that he has done thousands over the last 8 years and just a couple of redos.  I also see that he has been presenting on the topic for years and has quite an extensive CV of experience.  So I am now more comfortable with my selection.

Other factors that weighed in were traveling right afterward.  My boss had this done 3 years ago by Clarke and she said just the ride home for 15 miles was rough and I would have to travel about 300 if I went to HSS or stay in a hotel.  She and I compared both docs together and although Su is the most popular doc, I get excellent care at Clarke's practice and they know me because I have been going to him for a few years now.  So for me, it came down to the personalized care and familiarity.

Well I guess I'm on for Saturday with him.  He is so busy he now is doing surgeries a couple Saturdays a month.  Let my countdown begin.....

Kim
D. michael Clarke
4/6/13
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 09:26:39 AM »
Good luck Kim, just get everything else out of your mind - you'll be in good shape.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 11:00:05 AM »
So, tomorrow's your day.  You're in good hands, good luck!
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Marco Polo

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 11:21:10 AM »
Kim- You have made an excellent choice.  As you indicated, Dr. Clarke is very experienced, and I am confident the surgery will go well.  Let us know how are doing when you are on the other side.
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

hernanu

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »
Good luck, Kim!

kimberly52

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 12:28:10 AM »
Thanks all for your support.

Well I am 11 days out and very happy with my selection.  Had my 10-day post op appt. yesterday and found that I am right on track and recovery is going very well.

What a feeling to have that pain gone and only incisional pain left to deal with.

The excellent service that I have received over the past two years from Dr. Clarke and staff continues and confirms to me that I made the right choice.

Looking forward to an active and enjoyable summer!

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

hernanu

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 10:05:48 AM »
Very glad for you, Kim - keep it up and recover well.

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 05:42:11 PM »

"Looking forward to an active and enjoyable summer!"

Congratulations on your new hip.  I bet you will have an enjoyable summer.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat