+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Urinary Catheter Fear  (Read 4383 times)

xocy

Urinary Catheter Fear
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:46:21 AM »
There, I said it! I've never had surgery (male 59) and I fear this procedure. A bit embarassing, but I'm dreading it. Any suggestions.
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Clarkefan

Re: Urinary Catheter Fear
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »
I wasn't looking forward to it either, but you won't even notice it (one moment you're preparing for surgery, the next you're in recovery and it's already been taken care of). The day between having it removed and being ambulatory enough to make it to the head as needed is perhaps the least convenient.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 03:08:43 PM »
Hi

Many guys have had catheters and did not have problems.  Normally they put them in while you are out.  Sometimes the guys said it stung a little when they were taken out, but don't remember anyone saying it was terrible.  Some people like having them since it makes things easier.  Other don't like them.  It is a personal thing.

Also, many doctors don't use them.  The overseas doctors, especially, don't use them unless you are a bi lat.  They want the body to function normally. 

Don't worry about it.  If you don't want to remember anything - do what I did - tell the anasthesiologist that you want to go to sleep and wake upon the other side.  I did and it worked fine. They gave me a sleeping pill at night and I can hardly remember surgery day.  Normally, they will do what you ask.  I also told them I get nauseated easily - so give me something.  They did and it worked. 

Just be sure to tell them your concerns and what you want.  It normally works because they want to keep you happy and relaxed.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

takilasunrise

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:47:06 PM »
From my understanding, I didn't even get one when I had my hip done!  I have had them in the past with my other 2 surgeries, though.  They insert it after they put you out.  Afterward the surgery, I didn't even know it was there the 1st time.  The 2nd time I did.  It felt like I had to go "pee" really bad all the time.  I kept joking I needed the pain meds. for that, not my surgery!  I was told later I should have never felt it, if I did, they had it in wrong.  You'll be ok!  It's just a guy thing, I think!

xocy

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 02:38:58 PM »
Thanks, you are right, it's a guy thing. I'm more worried about it than the actual surgery. I belive the necessity is determined by the type of anesthesia.
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross

Tarhoo2

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 10:33:15 PM »
Not to worry.  I've been through it twice in the last 5 months and it's not bad at all.  They put the catheter in while you're out and you'll find it's better than having to deal with a bedpan.  When they take it out, it's not pleasant, but doesn't hurt, and it's all over very quickly.  Honestly, this is not a big deal in the scheme of things.  Good luck.

Mike Mc

• Pain Free
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 10:52:37 PM »
This is what I dreaded most.

The worst part was looking at it. Truly.

Have no worries about that.

11 months after my right hip resurfacing I had a partial knee done.Then,  I expected and gave no thought to the catheter.

I wasted too much critical thinking time anticipating the tube. Don't waste yours.

01/03/07 R-HRS-Biomet-C-Dr.Gross/Lee Webb

xocy

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 11:05:07 PM »
Thanks to all who have repiled. You're reassurances are helping. Please continue to monitor this Board. You never know when you might be doing something God's work and not even know it!

Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross

takilasunrise

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 10:39:17 AM »
Actually, I would have rather had it after my hip surgery the first day!  It was hard to lift up my rear-end to get on the bedpan (fracture pan)!!!  And then it would take forever before I'd actually go, then, being female, it went all over!  My mom said she could never use a bedpan, either.  We've been programmed to not "wet the bed" our whole life, so it was hard to relax.  So, if you have the option, ask for it!  There's enough to deal with the 1st couple of days after surgery, and having to heist yourself up on a bedpan was not fun! 

Big Bill

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2008, 07:38:08 PM »
Hi..no catheter needed here ...I had a phobia about that at first...after doing more research,that is the way it used to be done...under normal curcumstances it is not needed. Funny story ....the 2nd day post op "Nurse Ratchet" came in and asked if I had went to the potty yet...I said no...she said if you don't we will straight catherize you   :o ::)...she left the room and I filled the bottle to nearly 700 cc ! Hey Pat ...if you read this one ,  I accomplished that without any Belgium Beer!!

Glad to share, Big Bill,  C.A.S.H.    8)

xocy

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2008, 10:42:41 PM »
I was the one that posted my fears of the catheter on a couple of web sites. Since I had both hips resurfaced in the same week, Monday and Wednesday, I had a catheter each time. It was inserted while I was under anesthesia so I new nothing. After the surgery I was acting normal and talking like I new what I was doing, but I only remember bits a pieces for about 12 hours. Dr Gross puts some really good stuff in the spinal. I never felt the cath after the surgery.

The nurse came in around 6 AM the morning after both surgeries and removed it. Even after I was back to my senses, I avoid looking at it until that moment. It was much larger than I expected, but the removal was a matter of seconds and there was a bit of a sting. I jokingly asked the nurse if she got that hose at Sears. LOL

I have found that some of my buddies that have had various surgeries think they did not have one when in fact they did. One sign is they have a big urge to urinate, but find it diffulcult. This happens after having had a cath. After they remove it, you must begin to urinate on your on, or they will have to put it back in and you will be awake! Thank God I did not have to go thru that.

Also, when the cath is in, you have no urge to urinate. What ever comes into the bladder goes right out.

Mike

Dr. Gross
Bilat 6/23/08 and 6/25/08

Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster