+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for full hip extension  (Read 2933 times)

chuckm

Looking for full hip extension
« on: April 06, 2013, 08:58:38 AM »
Looking for ideas. I am 4 1/2 months post op LBHR and my hip flexors have remained shortened.
I went to rehab for six weeks after one month post op. They had me working fairly aggressively at stretching the flexors but I didn't get much improvement and they just always seemed sore from all the work. So, for two months now I have tried just leaving them alone. But I still have a slight limp that you don't notice because where my legs won't extend far enough behind me, my back flexes to help complete the stride.
Why I am at a loss is because I can do straight leg lifts with no discomfort and with equal strength as my non operated leg. I experience no pain and my leg seams almost completely normal except for this issue. The leg can go forward and back no problem except at the very end of extension it just won't let the leg go. It's not really a pain but more like a tight feeling pressure.

I had lost this part of my hip range of motion about a year before surgery. I know I'll get advice to be patient but I think I have been and it would be nice to see just a little improvement.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

hernanu

Re: Looking for full hip extension
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 04:24:22 PM »
I know you won't want to hear this, chuck, but here it is...

You need to be patient. I know you're four months along, and it seems like a long long time, but it is really normal to be tight that far along.

You have been patient. You need to be more. Sucks, but there it is.

I've done a lot of stretching in my life, started martial arts when I was knee high to a grasshopper. So my body should have been better at recovering in flexibility. I think it actually has been, but full flexibiity did not come back until about fifteen months along.

I felt like my flexors came back pretty well by twelve months or so, after some slow, long stretching. Now that means flexible for me, which is more flexibility than for most. So depending on your expectations, you will be back where you want to be earlier.

But in my opinion (just mine), not at 4 1/2 months. Take it slow in stretching, go slow and make sure any stretching does not hurt. Muscles can get injured by just stretching,so slow and easy is the right path to take.

Believe me, if anyone was going to be impatient with diminished flexibility it would be someone who used to do the splits with abandon (still can't, but I can live without that). But it takes time. Go easy, no pain.

One thing you might try in a few months (I started at one year) is some light yoga. Not something aggresssive at first (I was a beginner), but light and easy.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

evant

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 03:31:34 AM »
Chuck

I understand your concerns.

I'm 3 months post-op and getting my fitness back at a steady pace - I can feel I've a long way to go but I feel I'm being patient and trying to enjoy the journey.

I know you're doing the same - you're not on your own.

Hernan's words are really helpful and from the experience of having travelled the recovery route twice.

Hang in there and all will eventually be well I'm sure.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

chuckm

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 11:26:20 AM »
Thanks guys. I guess I was hoping you would share some double secret hip flexor rehab to go along with this amazing BHR. I already know about the patience method and that's what I'll continue to use. I don't need as much ROM as a martial artist, only that required for a normal walking gait. Eventually I will want more to get me back to soccer.

At the start of month three I began moderate walks twice per week. Then at month four I stepped it up to three to five aggressive walks per week. I have this cool app on my I phone that tracks all this. Now at 4 1/2 months I am able to walk several miles comfortably at 12:30 per mile which I think is close to a slow joggers pace. I started out six weeks ago only able to maintain 17 minute miles so this hip flexor is probably improving and I just don't notice or I wouldn't be able to walk that fast.

Thanks again guys.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

happyhopper

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 12:55:02 PM »
Hello
I agree 4 months is early days.
Just wondered if you had done some light strengthening work on your glutes, and hip abductors, to help support the flexors.
I have also had to do a lot of hip extension exercises by lying on my stomach and slowly lifting my leg in the air, keeping knee straight and hips on bed.   A good speed of movement to start is 2020 ie up for 2 secs and down to 2 secs, (ie slowly) then progress to 2121.  Dr Grosses 2nd stage exercises on his website look good, if you have been given the go-ahead to progress to the 2nd stage.
Take it steady!
Good luck

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 01:12:18 PM »
I think happyhopper is right.

One of the things that is necessary for true flexibility is strength. That way you avoid pulling muscles that are not ready for stretching.

Some muscle pulls can take on a life of their own, lasting for months. That's why you want to avoid pain. Pain equals no gain in stretching.

So do what you can to strengthen the smaller stabilizing muscles.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat