+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: pre-surgery exercise  (Read 1745 times)

claudia

pre-surgery exercise
« on: April 12, 2013, 04:45:53 PM »
I want to get in better shape prior to the surgery.  I have a treadmill, bike and bow-flex at home that we normally use but I have gradually eased up on my use because of the pain AFTER I use the treadmill or bike.  I want to ramp up my use again without overdoing it.  Was thinking the bow-flex would be very helpful before and after surgery.  Adduction, abduction and leg lifts?
Bike or treadmill? Both?   I can put up with the pain now that I know there is an end to it all!
Any suggestions? ;D
Everything on the internet seems to be oriented to less active people.  Bed exercises. 
thanks!

Dr Gross, Right hip, 3/21/18

Woodstock Hippy

Re: pre-surgery exercise
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 07:19:24 PM »
Claudia, you're on the right track.  The better shape you can be in before surgery, the easier time you'll have with your recovery.  Work your upper body, you will need strength to get yourself around at first. Work your core, work your legs.  It's all necessary for a good outcome.  You're going to do great.  Get to work, do everything you can to get ready. And of course; good luck with your surgery.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

kimberly52

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 07:41:03 PM »
Hi Claudia,

I am just 6 days outof surgery and so very glad that I worked out core, upper body, lower, glutes, etc., etc.  i had a trapeze over my bed and could very easily pull my entire body up to reposition myself.  Something I could not have done if I had not done all that upper body and core work.  Post op, I was cruising the halls that night and have been going strong since.

I paid in pain for my workouts at the gym but I figured I would pay before or after surgery and I choose before.  Of course a generous script of vicodin helped me to sleep on those bad nights.

Do everything that you can and you will not regret it.  Let your body guide you as to how much exercise is too much.  If you can get in to a gym and use the Cybex machines 3-4 times a week you will be happy you did.

The best of luck to you.

Kim

Dr. Michael Clarke
LBHR
4/6/13
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Woodstock Hippy

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 07:08:17 AM »
I even started to run again in the weeks before my surgery.  It hurt like hell but I figured I had nothing to lose.
Bilateral, Dr Scott Marwin, NYU Joint Disease Hosp, 11/15/11

kimberly52

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 08:54:47 AM »
Dang!  I was so tempted to run again too but opted to remain a gym rat.  I just have to say that today is my one week mark and man I feel really good!  I was so active already this morning that hubby put the cabash on me and ordered me to rest.  Party pooper. Haha!

Claudia, keep your eye on the end result and focus on your whole body inside and out.  Try to eat clean meaning whole healthy foods and good protien.  You have enough time to prep your body to be the healthiest that it can be.

Best,

Kim
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Canadian-Ice

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 10:09:16 PM »

I believe Corey Faulk does pre-train some candidates for the resurfacing surgery, if you want to contact him.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat