+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Delta motion on rheumatoid arthritis hip  (Read 7641 times)

hemantv

Delta motion on rheumatoid arthritis hip
« on: April 15, 2013, 06:06:35 AM »
Hello everyone,

I am 24 and a patient of rheumatoid arthritis for 14 years. My left hip started giving troubles 5 yrs back when I joined college. Since then I am on and off with pain and inflammation, restricted activity and high doses of NSAIDs.

I consulted Dr. Bose (all grace to Late Vicky) with my case and he said the hip joint is bone-on-bone and needs replacement. I was all in mind for hip resurfacing but given my low bone density (Osteoporosis) Dr. Bose said it might lead to femoral neck fracture and eventually a THR.

He recommended Delta motion hip with large metal head and assured me of full mobility and no restriction to my activity (I'm a structural Engg).

I, having gathered all the information about Dr. Bose (ref: hipresurfacingsite.com & surfachippy.info) scheduled my surgery on 17th April, 2 days from now.

I met Dr Bose again today, he told me to relax and do some pre-op exercises.

I have no doubts on Dr. Bose but I really can't find any post-op experience from delta motion hip patients. Also is there any patient with a history of inflammatory arthritis??

Anything on pre or post-op will be appreciated. Wish me luck. I shall be posting my post-op experience as soon as I am able to sit and type.

thanks in advance
hemant

hernanu

Re: Delta motion on rheumatoid arthritis hip
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 09:43:14 AM »
Good luck hemant - We have had some discussion about the Delta Motion here:

http://surfacehippy.info/hiptalk/hip-resurfacing-devices/delta-motion-ceramic-hip-hip/

By several hippies who were either considering it or ready to have it inserted. You might take a look at that. Gary2010 also provided a contact for more information about it and its success, so you might follow up with that.

Dr. Bose has a great reputation, you stand a very good chance of good success with him.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 09:51:32 AM »
hemant

Welcome to Hip Talk. You have choosen one of the best hip surgeons in the world for both thr and resurfacing.  I would certainly trust Dr. Bose's skill and decision to use the Delta Motion.  There have been a few people that received the Delta Motion and did fine as far as I can remember.  If a THR is a large ball version, you will have no problems being as active as you want without any restrictions after you have healed.  You are very young and want to remain active.  If it also important not to have a resurfacing if Dr. Bose feels your bone density is not correct for it.  You definitely don't want to face a revision surgery any time soon.  Stay conservative during your recovery and you will soon be out of pain and active again.

Thank You for sharing your story.  I look forward to your posts after your surgery when you feel well enough to do so.  Good Luck.  I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  You are in good hands with Dr. Bose.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hemantv

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:04:26 AM »
Hello Pat

Thank you for your valuable suggestions. It certainly gave me strength during the whole process.

My surgery as scheduled was done on 17th April by Dr. Bose and his surgical team. He used NCP approach and 48 mms Delta motion cup before getting final stability.

I started walking with the assistance of walker from day 2 and moved on to elbow crutches from day 3 onwards. I was kept on painkillers (IV) for 48 hrs which even after withdrawal, I felt no need for aspirins. The only thing that hurt was not able to sleep in desired way/posture for first 2 days.

I was discharged after 9 days( 4 more days on my request) and I stayed for another week in Chennai before returning to my hometown.

At the time of discharge Dr. Bose handed me the discharge summary with all necessary information about the implant, procedure, history and precautions. My post-op meds are just iron pills for one month.

I am now almost 20 days post-op and feel confident and lively back again. All pre-op pains are gone and I honestly never felt the surgical pain too (probably being so used to pain all the time).

Last but not the least I must say Apollo Hospital, Chennai is a great place where utmost care is given to patients. All nurses, working staffs, supervisors and Dr. Bose himself takes personal care of you.

regards:
Hemant

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 12:08:18 PM »
Congratulations on your new hip Hemant.  Glad to hear things went well.  After all, though, you are a Dr. Bose patient!

I am glad my information was helpful.

Take it easy and stay in touch when you can.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 12:45:11 PM »
Congrats Hemant... take care of the hip during healing and you'll be in great shape.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat