+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Long Term Running Recovery Issue  (Read 2447 times)

Buzz

Long Term Running Recovery Issue
« on: April 22, 2013, 01:40:13 PM »
Hello,
First, let me apologize in advance if my searches failed to find similar postings.

I have my left hip resurfaced in August of 2011. Prior to the surgery, I was no longer able to run but had continued to play basketball but with a fair amount of pain.  The post surgery rehab went very well after a year I resumed basketball and running.  At first things went extremely well.  To the point where I was running pain free 5 to 10 miles 3-5 times a week and basketball twice a week.  Then out of the blue I started having issues after running.  I would feel some pain right in the hip joint and would limp for a few days.  When this would happen, I would also notice that if I lay on the ground and tried leg raises there was also relative sharp pain.  It would go away after a few days.  Also I noticed that sometimes I would go from having pain to no pain in the matter of a minute almost as if I somehow moved my leg in a certain way that would "fix" the problem.  For the past few months I have run a lot less and continued to play basketball.  Basketball has been fine but there is still some soreness after running.   Last week I ran five miles.  There was no pain or soreness during or after the run but the next day I had a lot of pain and massive limp.  Today (3days later)  it feels somewhat better but still limping.  It feels the same as in the past where "the right movement" would eliminate the problem but unfortunately I have not been able to replicate that movement.   

I am wondering if this sounds at all familiar to anyone and if there are any suggestions.  I realize my explanation is fairly poorly worded so let me know if there is any need for clarification.  Thanks Much!
Left BHR August 31 2011
Dr. Gross

chuckm

Re: Long Term Running Recovery Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 01:53:48 PM »
With sharp pain you should contact your surgeon.

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Arrojo

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 02:56:50 PM »
Do you ever do a teep tissue massage ot trigger point release?  Assuming the implant is still fine, perhaps you have a scar tissue buildup, which is very common.  Consider Active Release Technique or a deep tissue massage to break up that scar tissue.  Active Release can also fix a nerve entrapment issue, which can sometimes result in the sharp pain you are talking about when the leg is in a certain way.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Buzz

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2013, 03:40:11 PM »
Thanks, I will make an appointment for a deep tissue massage and see if it helps.  I did contact my Doctor when I first started having some issues and after looking at the Xrays he was satisfied that there was no issue with the implant.   
Left BHR August 31 2011
Dr. Gross

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat