+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Do I need Hip Resurfacing  (Read 2666 times)

flfiregirl

Do I need Hip Resurfacing
« on: May 20, 2008, 05:41:48 PM »
Hi All....
I'm new to this group and have just learned about hip resurfacing! I'll give you my Reader's Digest version of me: I had surgery in Oct. 07 for fermoro-acetabular impingement.  (I just turned 47.)  For the first 6 weeks everything was great... then the cortisone wore off.  Little by little, I'm experiencing the same pain as I initially had, but in a different area of the joint.  The doc (very well respected and I traveled 1500 miles to use him!) told me that there is nothing wrong with the hip other than incredible inflammation (he did another MRI with contrast).  He suggested that I rest it. I am a firefighter and took 5 months off of work.  I went back for about 8 shifts and the pain is getting worse.  I've been off work again for another 6 weeks.  My symptoms:  pain in the left joint/groin area; pain getting in and out of the car when lifting my leg, hip rotation is almost impossible, I cannot sit cross-legged on the floor.... I have degenerative bone disease, osteopenia, and early arthritis...

My question(s):  How did you know that you needed hip resurfacing?  Did you have other surgeries or treatment before the hip resurfacing?  Does insurance cover the surgery or is that individual to the insurance company?  Who is considered the most experienced here in the states?

I need to get some relief so that I can go back to work and not put my partners (and myself!) at risk by not being able to pull my own weight! 
Any information is appreciated!!! 
Thanks,
Terry

Clarkefan

Re: Do I need Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 09:24:34 PM »
Terry:

I am sure most of the other folks who frequent this forum will tell you the same that the decision for hip resurfacing is very personal. If you decide it's the right time, then it's the right time. There are numerous stories of people in similar situations as you, and they can recount what brought them to their decisions.

Personally, I opted to have resurfacing rather than attempt other operations (after consulting with several doctors). The decision seems to have been the right one for me. I am cresting the 8-week mark, and have just returned from teaching my boxing class. I am -- for the most part -- pain-free, and apart from being anxious to get back to a more active lifestyle, I am so much more at ease.

Though the first 3-10 days were very difficult for me, from 2 weeks on, I have had a very easy, very speedy recovery. Spend time on this site and I'm sure you'll find some great information that will help you come to the right decision for you.

xocy

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 10:12:14 PM »
I do not know where you are located, but Dr. Gross in Columbia, SC can look at you xrays and bone density scan an determine if you are a candidate for resurfacing. If not, I guess you are still a candidate for THR.
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

flfiregirl

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 08:22:28 AM »
Thanks for answering and your thoughts.  So far, the doc says that I'm not close to a THR....yet... but I am not the type to sit around and wait for things to get worse before they get better!  I kinda like to take the bull by the horns and nip things in the bud, so to speak!  I will continue to read and research what I can (especially on this very helpful site) and see what I can come up with!

I'm in the Palm Beach area of Florida, but traveling to the right doctor is not an issue!  If the more experienced are in NY or AZ, then that is where I'll go!  I don't see myself going all the way to Europe, though... my insurance will pay for the doctors here.. i'm not sure about internationally!

Thanks again,
Terry

rlm869

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 08:56:39 AM »
terry, on this site there is a list of several surgeons in florida here:
http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php#Florida

you owe it to yourself to get at least a couple of different opinions. i am 38 and am in my 10th week...i say don't wait! i am so happy i did this now rather than continuing with the pain. if resurfacing is right for you then you should not continue to be limited by lack of mobility and pain.

rebecca
dr. john evans
3/24/08 rbhr

xocy

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 09:45:38 AM »
Call Dr. Gross' office nurse, Brenda. You will probably have to leave her a message, but she will return you call.
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »
Hi Terry

Welcome to Hip Talk.

None of the experienced resurfacing doctors will perform a hip resurfacing unless it is needed.  I know that from experience and reading hundreds of posts from other people.

The best way to know where more about your hip is to get a consultation from a really good, experienced hip resurfacing surgeon.  Since you are in FL you could pretty easily get up to DR. Gross. He will give you a free consultation if you email him and attach a copy of your x-rays in a digital format or as a .jpg

The overseas greats like Dr. Bose of India and De SMet of Belgium will also give you free consultations.  I went to Dr. De Smet because I wanted a very experienced surgeon several years ago and I did not have health insurance.  I still would have gone to him with insurance.  Many insurance companies are now paying for the overseas surgeries. They are much less expensive than in the US.

You can see from my list that there are some experienced hip resurfacing surgeons in FL, but not quite as experienced as Dr. Gross who has done over 1300. 

I would not just rely on the input from a doctor that only does THRs.  I would try to get more input and then you can make a decision.

Many of us have had chiropratic done, steriod shots in the hip capsule, done PT and exercises, used glucosimine, etc to try to keep away from surgery as long as possible.  However, in the end, once you are bone on bone or have serious problems, hip resurfacing is one of the few choices besides a THR.  Of course, everyone on this group prefers the bone conserving hip resurfacing option.

Try to get some more input and keep in touch.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

flfiregirl

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:37:27 PM »
Pat,

Thank you for the input!  I will talk to the doc who just did my hip arthroscopy to see what he says and I will also begin my search for a doc to work on the problems I am presently having!  I just wish that I had heard/read about this procedure before I had the arthroscopy done! 

I will keep in touch...

Thank you!
Terry

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 08:52:56 PM »
Hi Terry

It seems some people are happy with the arthoscopy and some aren't.  People need to learn about what is available.

That is the reason I work so hard on the website so it is a place people can learn about options that they did not know about.

The more people know - the better decision they can make.  Each person posting a story or comment here is helping future visitors learn.  Unfortunately, many of our doctors are not up to date on information or just chose not to share info about other options. 

I wish you the best of luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM