+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mountaineering  (Read 9109 times)

Clydascope

• THe Inyo Belly Project
Mountaineering
« on: May 21, 2008, 01:20:39 PM »
I had a hip resurfacing done on May 8th by Dr. Andrew Yun at St. Johns in Santa Monica.  Now that the swelling in my leg is down I feel much better.  Today might be the first day without painkillers for me! 

Thanks to all for the info and encouraging words here, this sight has been very helpful.

After I get the second one done and fully recover I plan to hike the entire length of the John Muir Trail (200+ miles) because the doctor who did my original diagnosis said maybe 1 out of 100 would ever do it after surgery.  I decided that I am the 1 out of 100.

Here's my story leading up to surgery...

http://www.summitpost.org/trip-report/341844/Am-I-Still-Hip-.html
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 03:27:01 PM by Pat Walter »

lisae

Re: Mountaineering
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 02:05:17 PM »
Hi there, Clydascope.  :)

Ambitious, eh?  I know you will succeed in hiking the John Muir Trail.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 02:29:56 PM »
Hi
Congratulations on your new Hip!  I think you will be able to hike the full 200 miles trail after you get your second hip done.  People have done amazing things after they heal. 

Beatiful photos on your website.

I hope you will keep us updated and post some stories and photos when you start to be active again.  People like to read the stories and look at the photos/videos.

I wish you the best of luck.  You are now climing the mountain of Post Op Recovery - it will soon be downhill all the way!

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Clydascope

• THe Inyo Belly Project
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 07:17:31 PM »
Hi Lisa,

Fancy meeting you here!  Yeah I might be ambitious but I like having goals, besides the Muir Trail is just a long walk after all.  Just wait till I get back on my motorcycle!

Pat, thanks for putting this website together.  I will post updates with photos as things progress (things will progress, right?)   Actually it's rather amazing how much better I feel on a daily basis.   

Chris

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 08:27:44 AM »
Hi Chris

Yes - things will progress - but at your own bodies speed.  We all heal at a different rate.  Some of heal fast and others heal slower.  Doesn't make any difference because we all end up in the same place eventually - healed, without pain and being active once again.

I look forward to your photos as you start to be active again.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

millerp

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2008, 12:31:05 PM »
Hi Clydascope,

I had my right hip resurfaced at the age of 44.  At 14 months after surgery I did my 1st fourteener in Colorado.  Recover first on a sationary bike followed by a stepping machine got me back in shape for extreme hiking.  I still have some muscle pain in hip flexure muscles and can only lift 50 or so lbs, but no bone pain.  This is excellent, can't wait to do the next fourteener.  Goog luck-- you will be hiking very soon,

Patrick

Clydascope

• THe Inyo Belly Project
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 09:45:16 AM »
Sounds great Patrick!

What peak did you climb?

This past weekend I walked 4 miles non stop in under 1.5 hours.  Been putting in over 2 miles a day on average for the past few weeks.  Mostly on paved roads but some dirt roads and trails too.  Maybe 500' elevation gain at the most.  It feels great, the limp is easing up, my coordination and ROM have increased dramatically and I'm breaking a sweat too! 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:14:47 PM by Clydascope »

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal