+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip Resurfacing for my 93 year old Dad  (Read 1891 times)

scrowe

Hip Resurfacing for my 93 year old Dad
« on: May 22, 2008, 01:52:52 PM »
The web-sites for hip resurfacing say it is for younger active patients. My Dad is 93 years old but you would never know it. Except for the pains in his hips he is like a 50 year old. Every time he goes to the doctor and gets a check up, they can't believe how old he is...he has the heart and lungs of a much younger man (he worked out and played sports all his life). He is desperate to find an option to fix the problem just so he can walk more than 2 blocks without pain but no doctor is willing to perform hip replacement surgery on a man his age. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what he can do instead of just having to "live with it" the rest of his life? At this point he'll be in the Guiness Book of World Records the way he is going...he should be able to enjoy his health for as long as possible.  Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

papadop

Re: Hip Resurfacing for my 93 year old Dad
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 07:37:56 AM »

As an almost 79yr old I was accepted for LeftHip resurfacing subject to what the bone condition might be.
I think the Xray indicated there might be a need to cut away bone - anyway almost 4 weeks ago they removed about 2cm of femur and inserted a Bighead MOM replacement.

I must say I can't feel the difference between that and a technical resurfacing - once the incision was healed I've gone big into swimming and I'm now swinging around with a single cane.

And my friends tell me I'm much less grouchy than before surgery even tho I'm quite stiff. I go off blood-thinner in two days  but will be keeping on with 100mg aspirin for a couple more months

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2008, 08:33:18 AM »
Hi Scrowe

Sounds like your Dad is in great condition.

I am sure if he is in good health that he can have a hip replacement.  I don't think they will give him a resurfacing, but certainly he can have a THR which would get him out of pain and active again.

Usually they don't give resurfacings for people older than 70s.  It is really based on his bone density not his age.  You need to get him to an experienced hip resurfacing surgeon and find out what options he can have.  They don't often give older people MOM thrs because they have to be really active to keep them lubricated or they start to squeek.  I know of of older man that due to back problems, was not able to be active and walk and his MOM hip really squeaks.

That doesn't mean your father should stay in pain.  It sounds like he needs some new hips.  I just heard of a 100 year old lady that just had a THR revision and is back to being active again.

Age is not the determing factor in getting new hips.  YOu need to find a doctor that will give him some new hips.  Look at my list and make some phone calls.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php   You will more likely find a doctor willing to help that is very experienced. 

The reason I suggest calling the really experienced hip resurfacing surgeons is that they also do THRs and are trained to do more difficult surgeries than the normal orthopedics.  Resurfacing is a much more difficult surgery and the doctors performing them are normally really good.  So they are willing to do more difficult surgeries whether they are THRs or BHRs.

Where do you live?

Pat
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 08:36:08 AM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

scrowe

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 10:02:30 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  My Dad lives in Clearwater Florida. I looked up the doctors and found one at the Florida Medical Clinic.  I sent him an email with the same information I put up here.  Hopefully he'll respond.

Thanks again!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 10:13:33 AM »
Hi

Since you are not too far from SC, I would also contact Dr. Gross.  He does a lot of difficult resurfacing cases and is very experienced in all aspects of hip replacment.  Normally you can email him and within a few weeks he will call you and talk about your case.  He gives a free consultation.  He is one of the best in the US - so it might be worthwhile to call or send an email to him.

Sometimes it is worth the trip to go to some of the really experienced surgeons.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat