+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Gastric Reflux  (Read 2537 times)

tgmsandfort

Gastric Reflux
« on: May 24, 2008, 05:10:31 PM »
I had my first hip resurfacing this past Monday and the most difficult part for me has been the gastric reflux symptoms. They began in the hospital on Monday after I got morphine for the pain. I think it is due to lying down so much and also the side effects of the pain meds (oxycodone in the hospital and now vicodin since at home for the last 2 days). Have others experienced this? Any suggestions for how to help alleviate - the pain it causes keeps me up at night. Thanks!

soon2Bhip

Re: Gastric Reflux
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 09:30:31 AM »
Do you really think it was the medicine that caused your gastric reflux?  My daughter had a similar reaction after her knee surgery 2 years ago (we both had knee surgery in 2006 due to soccer injuries).  She has had gastric reflux ever since her surgery and we have taken her to multiple doctor's to help resolve this.  Prilosec, etc has not helped.  She's had endoscopy's, pH monitoring etc and they say she now has severe GERD.  I didn't know how to tie the surgery to her reflux and asked a few people but they did not know of a link--  but maybe it's from the med's.  She never experienced any sort of heartburn or reflux prior to the surgery.  I am curious whether others have experienced this, and if so, how did they resolve this?  They actually suggested a surgery called fundoplication for my daughter but it seems so risky and she is only 17 years old.  I hope your reflux is short-lived.  Good luck!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 04:55:29 PM »
Hi

Congratulations on the new hip.

I would just try some of the over the counter meds like Prilosec or even the rolaids or tums.  I normally take about 4 - 6 rolaids to stop an attack. 

The pain meds are hard on some people.  Do you need the heavy pain meds?  I did not take any after I left the hospital.  I just took Advil for the sore muscles and incision pain. You can take even 3 or 4 advil if you have bad pain.  It might not be as hard on your stomach.

Good LUck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

xocy

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 09:20:27 PM »
This could be caused by many things. What does your Doctor say?
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

takilasunrise

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 03:16:55 PM »
I have connected my heartburn issues with being overweight.  I know that's not the case for everyone, but it is for me.  I lost like 25 lbs. from almost 2 years ago and noticed I wasn't getting heartburn anymore!  Then I gained back 10 lbs. since my surgery and I noticed I'm getting bouts of it again, especially when I'm wearing jeans because they're tight.  I'm sure meds. could have a lot to do with yours.  When I was put on the prescription NSAIDS, my doctor also gave me a prescription to a reflux med. because he said this will more than likely mess with your stomach.  I had constant heartburn during both of my pregnancies! 

terryi

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 02:39:36 PM »
Gastric reflux was my biggest problem too.  Felt sick to my stomach continually.  Worst time of the day was pre-dawn.  A lot of lying down did seem to contribute to my condition.  Neither Tums nor otc Pepcid helped me.  Keeping something in my stomach at all times -- grazing, grazing, grazing -- did help a bit.  Salty foods -- pretzels, Saltines, chicken noodle soup (especially the broth) -- seemed to work best.  Toast too.

After 5 days of that, I've seen a lot of improvement over the last 4.   (I'm now 9 days post-op.)   I think it will get better for you too.  Hang in there!

ginnie

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 12:18:58 PM »
yes the upset stomach is misery,, they give you so MANY medications in the hospital not the least of which is a stool softener and laxitive, that along with everything else is misery. I ended up visiting with the people on my floor because we were all ortho patinets. The wonderful lady next to me said she took some over the counter antacid that helped. When I asked my nurse for something she was hesitant, so I just asked for a carton of milk. That did the trick. I dont normally like milk .. but it was a Godsend !! Now I am at home and they gave me a prescription for Nexium, it seemed to help me yesterday, but as the meds go so does the heartburn. I only have one day left of the indocin, then Im just on Cumadin for another 2 weeks. good luck   ! ,, ps.  the milk will make you burp alot .. its ok !!   :)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat