+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muscle/ligament separation and increasing pain 15 months post-op  (Read 2311 times)

Lila

I had Birmingham Hip Resurfacing on my left hip on Feb. 2, 2007. I was 42 years old at that time. I am not overweight, I exercise and stretch regularly, and followed my surgeon and physio therapist's instructions to a T.

Every thing was going well except that recovery was slower than I expected. I really have to struggle not to limp, but there was very little pain - thankfully!

There always appeared to be a visible "separation" of the muscles/ligaments down the side on my leg - in the incision area. I was told that this would just take time to heal. The separation appears to be "growing", I am experiencing increasing pain in the hip area, with 2 spots that are very sensitive to touch. I swear that it feels like I am touching the nerve right on the bone! Sometimes the area of the incision feels numb as well.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there anything I can do to improve the pain (besides medication), healing of the muscles/ligaments? My surgeon has unfortunately moved, and my family doctor is referring me to another orthopedic surgeon, but the waitlist just for an appointment is very long, let alone any corrective surgery.

I would appreciate ANY advice, suggestions, etc.
Thanks!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Muscle/ligament separation and increasing pain 15 months post-op
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 06:40:58 PM »
Hi Lila

I am sorry to hear about your problem.

Where do you live?  Who was your doctor?

I haven't heard of a problem like this before - but that doesn't mean it has not happened.  I am not medically trained and don't know about everything that can happen.

You could drop Dr. Bose of India and even Dr. De Smet of Belgium an email and explain the situation.  Ask if they have an idea what might be wrong.  I think you need some input from some really expreienced hip resurfacing surgeons that have seen a lot of cases.  Dr. Bose and De Smet are very good about talking with people that have problems with hip resurfacing.  They are usually very kind and will share information with you. You can find their email addresses on my Doctors List.

If you tell me where you live, I might be able to suggest someone to write to or call to find out more.
Can't promise I can, but will see who is near you.

Pat
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 06:43:23 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Lila

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 06:55:31 PM »
Thanks Pat!

I live in the city of Regina, province of Saskatchewan, Canada. My surgeon was Dr. Smith (yes - his real name...). He had been performing resurfacing for approx. 2 years before he operated on me. He has since moved to Vancouver Island.

I am new to this site and did not know about the Doctors' link. Thanks for the tip - I will email the ones you suggested.

I just figured that I was one of the unlucky ones whose recovery would take longer...but my husband kept finding reports on the Internet of people running marathons a year after their surgery and here I was still struggling to walk properly.

The really unfortunate thing is the returning pain. I was so grateful to be rid of the arthritic pain that the recovery pain seemed a small price to pay. As of last week I have had to start taking NSAIDs again, and I really prefer not to take medication if possible.

I appreciate any advice and responses.

Thanks!
Lila

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 07:31:02 PM »
Hi Lila

I am sorry that I don't know too much about the Canadian doctors.

I do know it sounds like you are having a lot of problems.  Most people don't, so when someone has such lingering problems it usually means there is a problem either with muscles & ligaments or with the hip device itself.

Normally when there is a loose cup or problem with the hip device - the pain is very, very bad.

I am just at a complete loss of what your problem could be since I have not read about anyone with that type of problem.  Plus I am not a doctor.

I always tell people to ask the really experienced surgeons with there are real problems like you have.  I think Dr. Bose and De Smet would be a good starting point for you.

I hope you will keep in touch and let us know what you learn.  It is a way of not only helping yourself, but others who might have a similar problem.

Again, I am sorry I can't give you any kind of advice.  I wish I could.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Today at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
Yesterday at 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz