+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Count down to June 18th 2013 and post-op story  (Read 4374 times)

bestbob

Count down to June 18th 2013 and post-op story
« on: May 26, 2013, 10:01:12 PM »
Hello everyone, and especially Pat,

Like A LOT of others, the postings, stories, research, and everything else on this site is fantastic.

My Bio: I am a male, 59 yrs old, 5'-11", and weight 185 lbs in my birthday suit. aBout 4 yrs ago I would get hip/groin pain 2 to 4 times a year, which would go away after some weeks. Well, July of 2012 the pain became more regular, and by Thanksgiving it was daily and I was taking 1200 to 1800 mg of Ibuprofen daily. I saw my GP(many times) a couple years back and she felt it was lack of exercise, which ended up not being the case. Then saw a Ortho, Urologist, Rheaumatologist, and nobody could figure it out. After going to another Ortho who did a MRI with dye, I was diagnosed with mild/moderate OA and a torn/detached labrum. Well, I am going to beat this is what I said to myself, started to exercise more, eat a anti-inflammatory diet, supplements, and of course Ibuprofen. The pain decreased but never went away.

The pain has returned and a little worse, and is mostly in hip, groin, and knee. If I go up 20 stairs I am extremely out of breath and my ankles actually hurt. I talked with a couple of friends in more detail, as they have had a BHR by Dr. Brooks. They both said they wished they wouldn't have waited so long.

I was initially looking at Arthroscopic surgery for the torn/detached labrum, but stopped as I wasn't a good candidate with the OA.

Well, I am scheduled for June 18, 2013, and getting pre-op jitters, scared, and starting to question my decision. I read the board daily, or try to, as there is a lot of excellent information and stories I can relate to.

I will log my progress, thoughts, and feelings pre and post op, as this does help me in dealing with the stress. Hope you all don' mind, and that the post help some, like all the posts I have read helped me in making the decision.

Thank You ALL!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:07:50 PM by bestbob »
RBHR June 18, 2013, Euclid General Ohio, Dr. Brooks

Marco Polo

Re: Count down to June 18th 2013 and post-op story
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 10:52:12 PM »
Bestbob:

You've done your homework and picked an excellent surgeon.  I am sure you will have a great outcome.  Best wishes on June 18!
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 08:13:19 AM »
Bob - post away, this is why we're here. You've taken the right steps for you, and are set with an excellent surgeon. We've all gone through the same decisions, the questioning of needing to do it.

I put off the surgery as long as possible, trying a lot of the same things as you - physcal therapy and fitness boot camps, just ignoring it and powering through the pain. Ultimately for me it was the realization that as leery as I was of the surgery, I was losing the outlines of my life.

The surgery gave me back what I had lost. First the pain was gone, although the recovery is not easy, it was bearable and even good now that painful companion was gone. The results for me have been excellent. I hope the same for you.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

evant

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 09:02:38 AM »
Good luck with your forthcoming surgery - Dr Brooks' patients speak very highly of him so you're in excellent hands.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

bestbob

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:28:05 AM »
Thanks for the replies, they are appreciated. I am attempting to read all the stories of each person that replied, just got done with Marco's. I too am now on  Tramadol, and sometime take Ibuprofen also. Marco, did your back pain ever go away? I couldn't tell from your postings, or just missed it. I just hope I can stay mobile enough for the next 3 weeks and continue going to work until June 17th. I am a contractor and get paid hourly, so no work = no pay. I do have Short/Long term disability thankfully and will start the paperwork soon. My pre-op is June 6th, so want to wait to be 100% sure this will happen, as well as my insurance co paying. BTW, has anyone utilized CIGNA for this operation?

Hernanu - You have been on this site for a long time. Started to read your post, and was impressed with you having 2 within 4 months, AND your recovery. What a great story. Also glad to see your still posting. Haven't read all your post, will take some time, but will get to it.

Evant - Another success story it looks like. Yours was also interesting to read, and I learn more and more each day. My groin/knee pain is what's stopping me from being more mobile, and it's mostly due to the torn/detached larum from what I have been told. By themselves, the hip xray would not recommend a BHR, but when the MRI w/dye was done, t showed a whole lot more gong on with my hip. Will have to take a picture of the report and post on the site.

Thanks all,

Bob
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:59:06 AM by bestbob »

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:29:05 AM »
Bob -

I assume that you have read the patient stories by Dr. Brooks' patients.  If not, check them out at http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipresurfacing/stories/dr-brooks  Mine is titled
MT Hip Resurfacing Dr. Brooks 2010.  I am now more than two and a half years post-surgery, and I still marvel at how well it has turned out.  I play tennis, and I never give my hip a thought when I am chasing down a drop shot or running to the back of the court to return a lob that has gone over my head.  Although the recovery is longer than any of us would prefer, it was not particularly arduous, and post surgery pain was never an issue for me --- not even during the few days in the hospital.

I look forward to reading your story.
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

bestbob

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 11:57:10 AM »
Attached is my MRI report, which was the clincher for the BHR.  The XRAY by itself was not enough, as the OA was not progressed enough that would make me a candidate for BHR.

bluedevilsadvocate - Thanks for the link, I have been reading them and will continue to do so.

Bob
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:58:25 AM by bestbob »

podgornymd

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 01:42:32 PM »
Hey Bestbob,

congrats on making your decision. I am only 5+wks out from LBHR and recovering slowly. I am hoping to have the same outcomes as most of the others on this site.

My story is a  little different than yours b/c i never really had any pain until 4 months before my surgery. I can tell you that it is very normal to have some type of trepidation in deciding on the surgery and then the doctor. I am in the medical field myself and even with the knowledge it was very difficult for me to decide. It is always difficult when it is an elective surgery vs an emergency surgery.Once you decide and feel good aobut it and the surgeon go in there with a positive attitude and dont second guess yourself. You are going to do great.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Eman

Marco Polo

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »
Bestbob:  Yes, my back pain cleared up after my resurfacing. I am 8 weeks out and my recovery continues to go well.  While I need to continue to work on my flexibility, I can go for extended walks and begin riding my bike outdoors. I went to the driving range for the first time this weekend.  I left my driver in the bag, but experienced no pain whatsoever swinging a golf club.  Looking forward to an active summer!
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

bestbob

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 06:47:26 PM »
Hello everyone, and especially to those that just went thru BHR. 1 week and counting till I go in on Tue June 18th.  Still getting the jitters on going, but so, so tired of this chronic pain. Had the pre-op visit last Thu and so far still god to go. It will be so nice to be able to walk pan free, and I do recognize it's the little victories that win the war, so will try and not get too anxious.  Keep up the stories, good or not so good, as I learn something new from every post.

hernanu

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 09:37:27 PM »
Keep it up, Bob - not that long to go until you turn this ship around.

I feel like I've got a second life in my hips and another chance overall. Good luck.

bestbob

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 06:30:37 PM »
Thanks Hern, and others for the positive feedback. The following is something I am experiencing, and as usual, feedback welcomed. For the past 7 months I have been taking the following on a daily basis, adult multivitamin, vitamin D3 2000, Krill Oil(1,000), Permaflex Supplement, and 1200 to 1800 Ibuprofen. In the past 1 month I also started taking Tramadol 50 mg to 100mg because the pain was becoming unbearable.
Now, with surgery 6 days from now, the Dr. said all I can take is the Tramadol, and Tylenol. so, I stopped taking all the other stuff 2 days ago.

My comment is, pain in my hip, groin, and knee has increased and I am now taking Tramadol 4 times a day at 50 mg a pill (200mg daily). Pain still there but bearable, although I slur when I talk some times and a little too laid back for me. :-) 

Has anyone experienced increased pain prior to the surgery when you had to stop taking anything?

My hopes are high, and trying to keep a god attitude, like you all have.

Lauren - How are you doing bu the way? Hope all is well.

Thanks Hippies!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:36:39 PM by bestbob »

bluedevilsadvocate

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Bob -

Your daily handful of supplements sounds almost exactly the same as what mine was pre-surgery and continues to be post-surgery.  I don't recall any increase in pain when I stopped the supplements before the surgery, but a daily dose of ibuprofin or any other pain reliever wasn't (and isn't) part of my regimin.  Maybe the elimination of the ibuprofin is resulting in more pain for you.

Hang in there --- relief is on the way.
LBHR 10-20-2010
Dr. Brooks - Cleveland Clinic
Age 62 at time of surgery

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 03:40:29 PM »
Bob
Good Luck with your upcoming surgery.  Dr. Brooks is an excellent surgeon.  I look forward to reading your posts about your recovery.  The folks here are great and very supportive - as you have already found.  They have "been there and done that."  They can answer questions for you.

Keep in touch when you can.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Lauren Lee

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2013, 11:05:20 PM »
Bestbob,Mine is the 17th, as you know since we have crossed paths on other topics. I will be thinking about you,  praying for great outcomes for both of us and will keep in touch. I am looking forward to getting it done and this time next week...we'll both be home and enjoying another weekend! But...without chores!!    ;)

;)
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Lauren Lee

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2013, 11:29:11 PM »
Re: the supplements and meds. They took me off EVERYTHING one week pre-op. I can take Tylenol if I need it but...I have felt GREAT!! I thought for a minute that maybe I got a supernatural healing but...got checked by the doc and things really haven't changed. I still don't do stairs well, sleep poorly because of pain in my knee, no ROM, and walk carefully...fearing one wrong move and I will be in acute pain. Maybe I feel so well because I'm not doing anything to aggravate the mess and I am relieved  that 30 years of on and off misery are almost over. (Darn snowmobiles anyway- I should have listened to mom when she said stay off the things).
I am starting the bathing with the special cleanser they gave me. House cleaned and sorted out, plastic toilet risers ordered, furniture moved around, fake flowers in the pots outside that I won't be able to get to, cane blinged out, IPod loaded and charged, last time playing guitar with the worship band tomorrow (for awhile), dog will be walked til he is begging for mercy, bags are packed and I'm ready to go.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

bestbob

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 11:43:37 AM »
Hi Lauren - Getting all prepared I see! Good for you, and don't forget the gallon freezer bags with rubbing alcohol & water.  :D You will be feeling better before you know it, as that is the positive side/feeling we should be having in my opinion. There have been a couple of times I thought about cancelling, but than I think of this chronic . pain and decline in my daily living that the couple of days, weeks, or months of rehab will out weight living the rest of my life in that condition. Way to young at 59!

sharleen

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 03:28:58 PM »
Good luck you guys for the 18th! Will definitely be thinking of you! I am 6 days later (24th) Even more nervous than I was 3 years ago when I had the first one done. Then went SO well with absolutely no pain that I can't believe that it can happen twice! I hate being pessimistic, guess it's just nerves!

hernanu

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 09:40:35 PM »
Good luck! only a few days to go until you get to start again.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat