+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 year post op with Dr. Kusuma  (Read 5198 times)

tipper1

2 year post op with Dr. Kusuma
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:39:12 AM »
I am 2 years post op this coming June and I wish I would have had them done sooner.

The details:  I am now 51 years old.  I played basketball three times a week up to age 41.  Was athletic all through school growing up.  I started having lower back issues around the age of 42 and went to a chiropractor that did not give me relief from the pain that I was experiencing.  At 46 I went to get X-rays and the new chiropractor informed me he couldn't help me and told me to see a Orthopedic Surgeon.  Well, a good friend of mine who is an Orthopedic surgeon read the X-rays and told me about a new procedure.  At that time Dr. Kusuma was still in Chicago.  When Dr. Kusuma finally arrived in Columbus, I made an appointment.

My first meeting with Kusuma was amazing.  I complained about lower back pain, groin pain, and lack of mobility.  He examined me and explained that I had four bone spurs on my left hip, had less than 5% motion, and then explained the new procedure and the benefit of resurfacing.  I was hesitant and he told me when I was ready to call and schedule surgery.

Well, two months later, when I couldn't stand up from my desk at work, I called and scheduled.

September 2009 I had my left hip resurfaced.  In 2011, my right hip.

Recovery from the first surgery was exactly as was explained to me.  Four weeks with a walker, four weeks with a cane.  Slow, progressive recovery.

Recovery from the second surgery was four weeks on walker, two days on a cane. (Don't tell Kusuma) I knew what to expect, how to move, knew the pain of recovery.

I still no longer play basketball, by choice, not pain, but I am now in no pain and active doing other things.

Like I said at the beginning of this post, I WISH I WOULD HAVE HAD THIS DONE SOONER.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 03:26:31 PM by Pat Walter »

evant

Re: 2 year post op
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »
Well done. Interesting story too.

It sounds as though you were one of Dr Kusuma's early patients.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 2 year post op with Dr. Kusuma
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 03:27:59 PM »
Hi Tipper

Thanks for taking time to post your hip resurfacing story with Dr. Kusuma.  Sounds like you are doing great with your bilateral BHRs.  Your story helps others to learn how great the hip resurfacing option is and about Dr. Kusuma's skills.

Keep us updated when you can.  Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

tipper1

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 08:04:15 PM »
I was one of the first in Columbus for Dr. Kusuma.  Plus, the added feature for my surgery was a visitor from England was there in the O.R. with Kusuma.  I do not remember his name, but I think he had something to do with the training for Dr. Kusuma or the inventor of the procedure.  I don't know for sure.

tipper1

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 08:07:55 PM »
I forgot to mention my golf game.  I was a six handicap before the hips started screaming, then it went up, up, up.  I can now play golf without pain and the handicap is coming back down.  Dr. Kusuma will not play golf with me...wonder why!!!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat