+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: BHR working well  (Read 1577 times)

smokechief

BHR working well
« on: May 31, 2013, 08:26:16 PM »
In the summer of 2009 I had to find a fix for the pain I experienced every time I played Senior Softball.  At age 64, I was using pain killers at every game.  A fellow player told me I probably needed hip surgery, but he recommended resurfacing over a total replacement.  Someone advised me to visit Dr. Kusuma at Grant Hospital.  After consulting with Dr. Kusuma, I found I was a good candidate for hip resurfacing, as I had good bone density, was in good physical shape, and I was not over weight.  I was a little concerned due to this procedure being rather new, but I understood that it was a better choice for those people who wanted to stay active and play sports, etc.  I had always been involved in sports while in school, and my 31 year career as a Firefighter, Lieutenant, Captain and Battalion Chief in the local Fire Department demanded maximum physical stress on my body.  My bad hip was mostly bone on bone according to the x-rays, but Dr. Kusuma assured me that the BHR was the way to go.  So, in September, I had the surgery.  The next day I was shown how to use a walker, and climb stairs, and was discharged.  I think I might have used the walker for a week or ten days, and then I used a cane for a couple of weeks.  After than I was walking better than ever and without any pain.  In fact, I never experienced any pain during my recovery!  As a Ski Instructor with 20 years of experience, I wanted to return to the slopes as soon as possible, even though Dr. Kusuma recommended that I sit out the season.  In mid January I went to the slope to try out my new hip.  I took it easy, and had no problem.  Then, to get the good Doctors approval, I ask him to join me on a little trip to the local hill, so he could see that I was really ok to ski.  He did get a few hours away from the Hospital and joined me on the slope.  It was all good!  In the spring, as I walked the dog, I began running a little, and then a little more, until I would run several miles with sprints included.  Returning to Softball, I played some 70 games in two leagues and a few Tournaments.  It's been almost four years now, and I do everything I did when I was much younger, and still have had no problem from the surgery.  In fact, I think the resurfaced hip might be better than my "natural" one.  I have recommended the BHR to everyone I know, and anyone who will listen!

hernanu

Re: BHR working well
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
Great report and welcome to the site! It's a great help to new hippies to see experienced folks checking in.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:45:54 AM »
Thank You for your story.  It's great to hear you are back to skiing and a great, pain free active life. 

Perspective patient learn from reading patient stories like yours.  It helps to explain hip resurfacing and let them know they can return to an active life.

Good Luck.  Let us know how you are doing sometime in the future.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 12:03:22 PM »
Always good to hear from a hippy well down the line. :) welcome to the group.

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat