+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Two steps forward, one step back.  (Read 5607 times)

David

Two steps forward, one step back.
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:33:33 AM »
Finished the HOT Raleigh, NC IM 70.3 race this Sunday.
Based on my running improvement up to date, I was hoping for better.
Swim was good. 32'
Bike was good. Rolling hilly course and tried to be conservative on the uphills to prevent the glutes from fatiguing too quickly. 2:38
Knew the run was not happening from step one. Glutes were seizing the entire 13.1 m.  Walked all of the uphills and ran the flats and downhills. Averaged 10:15/mile. When running I was good, but was unable to sustain without 3-4 minute walk breaks each mile. 5:29 finish.
I don't know exactly why, but I'm thinking the lack of heat training and acclimatization contributed a bit to the early fatigue.  It's a weird feeling, it's good, it's good, it's good, then bam, the muscle firing just shuts down and have to walk to get it firing again.
Going to concentrate on more strengthening and shorter distances for the summer until I attempt the WC 70.3 in Las Vegas 9/13.
Going to keep at it, try to listen to the body and not go beyond what it wants to do comfortably.  Push when I can and rest when needed.
Best.
David
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

MaryEllen

Re: Two steps forward, one step back.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:38:06 AM »
"Push when I can and rest when needed." Those are the best words of advice to heed, ever!! Congrats on your finish... that's phenomenal! I know it's not the time you wanted, but in the grand scheme of things, it really is fantastic. 
MaryEllen
LBHR 11/2/11
RBHR 12/12/12
Dr. Palmer Stillwater, MN

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 09:43:57 AM »
Good post, David.  Strange to face that shutdown, but like you mention, there may be parts of you that need more incremental strengthening.

Sounds like you're tackling it the right way, so keep it up and I'm sure next one (Vegas) will be better.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:23:40 AM »
That's amazing mate! I know you hoped for better but all things are relative it's amazing someone can do this on a bionic implant. Well done keep it up.

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Arrojo

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 02:49:16 PM »
"Push when I can and rest when needed." Those are the best words of advice to heed, ever!! Congrats on your finish... that's phenomenal! I know it's not the time you wanted, but in the grand scheme of things, it really is fantastic.

I agree with all of this.  You still ran a 4:28 marathon, after having done all that biking and swimming, right?  Damn impressive no matter how much metal in your hip!
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

David

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 08:58:31 AM »
A little running redemption from 2 weeks ago.
After resting and cross training for the past two weeks, did a hilly 10K this weekend and all was good.
Night and day from the tri run.  Steady 7:10 pace and no glute/hip issues whatsoever.
Hoping to keep away from the "one step back" this go around.
Best all...D.
RBHR Dr. Su 8/29/2011
www.jayasports.com

hernanu

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 09:42:42 AM »
Just shows that even at two, three years we have to fine tune ourselves a bit.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat