+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Swimming and Biking 20 Mos. Post-Op  (Read 5784 times)

sdunn4

Swimming and Biking 20 Mos. Post-Op
« on: June 30, 2013, 05:25:21 PM »
Update- the resurfaced right hip continues to feel great.  Slowly but surely the (un-operated) left hip will wear out, but so far it is holding up well.  This summer has brought some great outdoor activities- rode a 100K "Tour de Cure" bike ride at 16 mph to benefit those with diabetes, then today I swam the 1500m leg as part of an Olympic Triathlon team in Hague, NY (slow but steady at 31:09). 

Getting the resurfacing done has helped me to stay active and enjoy life!  I never was a big runner, but occasionally I do run a 1.5 mile loop near my house and I do use the Hoka running shoes- no pain at all!  Waterskiing- my passion- has taken a back seat this summer as we are "empty nesters" now, with the boys out of the house, and there are rarely spotters to ride in the boat (NYS law).

Have a great summer!

Steve
52 YO Rt Hip Biomet Dr. Gross, 10/24/11

hernanu

Re: Swimming and Biking 20 Mos. Post-Op
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 08:35:45 PM »
Nice progress, Steve! I'm glad the other hip is holding up, but if you need to get it done, you'll have confidence that it will eventually be in good shape.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

evant

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 04:48:49 AM »
Thanks for the update Steve.

Great distances to cover in both your cycling and swimming.

If I'm able to return to an occasional short run I'll be happy too.
rbhr 3 january 2013
mr ronan treacy
royal orthopaedic hospital, birmingham, england

fenceman

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 10:13:54 AM »
Great to hear Steve.  I had 4-1/2 years on my R-BHR before my left hip gave out.  I am 6 months on the L-BHR and just started biking again.  Traded in my road bike for a commuting bike and put 40 miles on it since Friday.  Feels good to be out riding and both hips feel good in the saddle.

I also enjoy waterskiing but am not allowed to this year, Dr's orders. I still have 2 kids at home so I took them out this weekend to ski and tube.  I think they like tubing better.
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

lgbran

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:56:05 AM »
So looking to returning to cycling and swimming post op... RBHR schedulled for early November.
In the meantime cycling as much as I can . Just rode 70 km on my road bike. Now my right hip is on fire and the left hip is sore as well. My local GP has advised me of the importance of cycling keeping weight do pre op. I cherish each ride beforehand as I low it will be ages before I return to cycling post op. your story and others gives me hope
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat