+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hip is fine but everything else??  (Read 5865 times)

chuckm

Hip is fine but everything else??
« on: July 15, 2013, 10:51:12 AM »
I am 7-8 months post op and have returned to playing soccer. Until my hip failed a few years ago, I was never prone to injury.

Now with this new BHR performing so well, the problem is everything else. Since becoming somewhat active at about 5.5 months, I have:
*strained the hamstring on my non-op leg twice
*had pain and swelling in op side knee that lasted weeks and knee is still not quite the same
*strained Achilles on op side. Granted I was kicked in the Achilles but ordinarily that would not have caused this.

I'm going to completely shut it down for a month and then start up again gradually - like I did the first time but see if I have more success. And yes I do stretching and strengthening.

Is anyone else experiencing nagging injuries like this?

Chuckm
Left BHR 11/30/12
Hospital for Special Surgery
46 years old

Miguelito

Re: Hip is fine but everything else??
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »
You mean, besides the failure of the other hip? :-(
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 01:54:36 PM by Miguelito »
RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

hernanu

Re: Hip is fine but everything else??
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 02:52:03 PM »
Hey Chuck, I hit that on a couple of things, but I did wait longer before going back to soccer and Tae Kwon Do.

Mine were: strained hamstring whenever I ran on the treadmill / did leg presses on the same day - from 8 months to 11 or so. Happened three times, each time when I did both the same day. Not anything huge, really just warming up with running (15 minutes or so, walk / run) and light on the leg presses (90 reps, 200 lbs).

No knee issues, but IT band issues off and on about the same time. I also scaled it back, kept up pilates core exercises and slide board just to keep moving, cleared up after about a week to two weeks each time.

Now no problem with doing any of that, soccer or combined hour of bag work with weights following.  I think not all muscles heal at the same rate, some are problematic, or were either overworked or underworked (atrophy) due to the OA, so this is the kind of setback you see when you really start to push things.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat