+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Five weeks yesterday- incision pain  (Read 3157 times)

Lauren Lee

Five weeks yesterday- incision pain
« on: July 23, 2013, 10:00:15 AM »
So far so good. Right now we're working with some bad habits in my gait which is causing mild lower back pain. I am still using a cane. Need to keep my shoulders up and back and I have to remind myself of that.
The last couple of days I have noticed some increased tenderness and tightness of my incision. It is red but not hot and no signs of infection that I can tell. I have been using oil to soften and doing some gentle massage with a tennis ball. Is it "normal" for pain to increase in incision? Is it possible to develop an infection 5 weeks out? My incision was glued.
I have my six week check with Dr. Schmitt next week. Thanks everyone for your fantastic support!
RBHR on June 17, 2013

hernanu

Re: Five weeks yesterday- incision pain
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 10:10:04 AM »
Hi Lauren Lee, my incision was glued also. I had some tenderness as I went along. I think it was scar tissue that was working itself out as I did more active things.

The tightness and tenderness went together, eventually both left at about the same time, never to return. Nothing to lose with checking with your doctor on this or even having it looked at (I did both at times), since your peace of mind is important, but for me that's what I think it was.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Tin Soldier

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 04:16:54 PM »
Same here, I had some increased discomfort on the incision at the 4 or 5 week timeframe.  Like Hern says it's probably due to the tissue trying get reorganized and become real skin again.  It went away within a week or so and my PT did massage it a little, and so did I, but that seemed to increase the discomfort for a few hours afterward.  Probably good in the long run though, but a little uncomfortable.
LBHR 2/22/11, RBHR 8/23/11 - Pritchett.

bestbob

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »
My 6 week is also up next Tue. As far as incision pain, mine is tender but no pain. I had staples though not glue.  What just started to bother me over the past 3 days is shin pain. Hope I spelled it right. Half way between my knee and ankle, about  a inch to the outside of my shin bone I get a throbbing pain every 15 seconds or so. Kinda like when I was getting the pain above the knee. Has anyone ever experienced this type of pain below the knee by the shin bone?

I am walking 50/50 between 1 and 2 crutches, and do not want to press more with one crutch or a cane. Will wait until my 6 week checkup to get the doctors report.

Bob
RBHR June 18, 2013, Euclid General Ohio, Dr. Brooks

Tin Soldier

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »
I wonder if the shin pain is related to a newish archeticture and movement with walking with one crutch.  Maybe it will take a little time for some of the tissue in that area to get used to that and even get used to no crutch.  I have heard of folks talk about some odd aches and pains that come and go as their legs are getting used to the new hip.   

John C

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 09:56:02 PM »
Its probably nothing, but as a non-medical person, a clot does come to mind as a possible explanation. There are many different protocols that different doctors use to prevent blood clots in the legs after hip surgery that can later travel to other more problematic locations. If you think that sounds like a possibility, it might be worth a call to your doc.
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

Lauren Lee

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 10:46:12 PM »
Thanks everyone. Took some Motrin and it feels better. Easing up on the tennis ball massage AND my therapist put a heating pad on it this morning. 
bestbob, I didn't have shin pain...except for in the beginning when I was overdoing the calf stretches. Is it hot, red, swollen? I'm not a doc but still....weekends coming...if you are concerned about it might be best to check with your doc.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

bestbob

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 05:00:42 PM »
Lauren, glad to hear it's going better.

Regarding the shin pain, it's mostly at night, no swelling, not hot nor red, just a sharp throbbing pain every 15 seconds or so. During the day it doesn't happen as much. My thigh is sore, but mostly muscles, and nothing unusual going on with the knee. My 6 week checkup is on Tue (5 more days), and unless it get's worse I will wait till then.

Lauren Lee

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 04:49:01 PM »
I decided to get the incision checked out and they pulled out the tiniest little bit of disposable suture that had worked itself to the surface of my skin and I guess once that happens it won't dissolve. It had poked a hole at the top of my incision. Took 5 seconds and I  feel so much better. The whole top part of my incision reacted.my skin is so sensitive these days.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

bestbob

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 07:49:16 PM »
Lauren - Way to go for getting it checked out, just goes to show that it's always better to be safe than sorry.

I did call my PA and left a voice mail about the shin pain I am having. He did not call me back, probably waiting for the 6 week appointment this coming Tue. If it wasn't for this shin pain I would be very, very pleased with the progress.

Juno

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 08:19:58 PM »
Bestbob--- could you have shin splints? Shin splints are an overuse injury that causes inflammation of the shin muscles. While you may not be over-using --- worn out shoes, improper gait and just over all wear and tear can cause shin splints. Generally they subside with ice, Advil and rest.

I hope you are better soon!
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Tin Soldier

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 04:11:46 PM »
I was thinking the same thing, shin splints.  I recall when I first started really walking again without aids, I would get a fair amount of shin pain, but only short lived while I walked.  I thought it was only the muscles getting used to a fast and proper gait, which they hadn't seen in awhile.

bestbob

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2013, 06:36:52 PM »
Had my 6 week checkup today, and was given the nod to get rid of the crutches, Yippee. Was informed everything looks perfect, and to start gradually building on exercises. I.e. bicycling, swimming, and other standing/laying down exercises. No 90 degree restriction, and was said to get on with my life. Only restrictions are, no impact sports/work-outs for one year. I did ask about the shin pain and he feels it is muscle spasm. Was given a muscle relaxer, shall see if it goes away sooner than later.

Lauren Lee

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2013, 09:57:24 PM »
Yay!!! Get on with it then!! I'll bet you are beyond happy to go hands free. So Bob...no assistance at all? No cane? What about PT.
I have my 6 week tomorrow. I'm concerned about my incision. I had one rogue "dissolvable" suture removed last week but my incision is red and "lumpy" and more tender than it was two weeks ago..  I am concerned that I may be allergic to the dissolvable sutures, or that they are not dissolving  and that I'll be "spitting stitches" for awhile. I can't believe all the stuff I have become allergic to - antibiotics, latex, adhesive, medications, some unknown substance. Of course my mind goes to the worst case...and my PT says this is highly unlikely.I just want Dr. Schmitt to confirm that it's all good. I'll keep you posted.
Other than that I have made remarkable strides (per my PT) even in the last week.
I'm headed back to work next week. It's a brand new position that I worked for two weeks before I had surgery. It's full time...straight in...no easing in. I'll be taking the  cane with me because I still have a limp when I get tired and the uncertainty of where I'll be walking. I still get tired but I don't know if that is still recovering from the surgery or....boredom. Just wanting to "get on with it" but I know it is early and  I need to pace it and take it easy.I'll probably be in PT for another 4 weeks. Wish me luck, send some prayers that this incision thing is nothing.
RBHR on June 17, 2013

Marco Polo

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2013, 11:05:30 PM »
Lauren Lee-You will be in my thoughts and prayers for positive news about your incision at your six week visit with Dr. Schmitt.
Marco, RBHR, Della Valle, 3/29/13

bestbob

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2013, 07:16:14 PM »
Lauren - I do have a slight limp, but was given a exercise to do that will help take care of it. You lie on non-operated side and raise the operated leg up (straight leg). The want me to do 3 reps a day 30 times per rep. Well, that's not gonna happen day 1 or 2, so I will be working it up gradually. Still doing the other 12 exercises though.

My incision is still a little tender, was a little lumpy at the end but is going away.

Regarding your concerns, completely understand your mind going to the worse cases. I think everyone has been there with you, and don't forget you had the foresight to go to the doctor to get looked at, so you are smarter than the average bear  :). You've gone this far, so hang in there and let us know how tomorrows checkup goes.

Lauren Lee

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2013, 10:29:44 PM »
Checkup went well...no concerns about the incision. Perhaps the redness could be from Mederma...I used it a couple of weeks ago and then stopped. But....my skin is soooo sensitive these days. I may or may not get some more stiches coming up. The knots underneath are adhesions...and I worked on it gently and released one...it's like popping bubble wrap. Really strange feeling.
Dr. Schmitt seems to be a little more conservative than I originally thought even though up front he doesn't seem as restrictlve as some....ex: no crutches, cane asap.  Restrictions are not lifted. I saw the PA and she said I should continue to be very careful for 8-10 weeks post op . They will see me again at 12 weeks post op and then lift restrictions. PT for 4 more weeks. She said "protect that hip"...so I will because I don't want a re-do.  I think I am just about ready to wean off the cane...I went to the store yesterday and lost the cane 3 times and had to go around looking for it! If I get tired I do have a little limp but it is getting much better.
Bob,  I tried to do side leg lifts and I can't do that yet. It's like my mind isn't connecting with the muscle.   Very weird. Other than that I'm walking a lot and doing my upper body stuff and people are asking if I have lost weight...and I haven't really...just tightning it up. I played guitar with the band at church tonight and was able to stand for most of the 30 minute worship set. I dropped my pick though halfway through and couldn't gracefully pick it up. Usually I have backup picks up there...tonight...one. What was I thinking?Back to work on Monday.  Mending strong!!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 10:31:41 PM by Lauren Lee »
RBHR on June 17, 2013

bestbob

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2013, 09:53:55 PM »
Hey Lauren - one checkup out of the way, fantastic! it's funny how you lost the cane in the store, sounds like something I would do. :-) It's interesting to hear about the stitches and bubble wrap sound also. Regarding the side leg lifts when lying on non-operated side, one of the exercises I have also been doing since post op day 2 is, laying on back, operated foot in a plastic bag so it slides easier (I don't need it anymore though), and slide the operated leg out away from body and back in. I also do this when standing up, without the bag of course. These are hip abductor exercises. Not sure if you saw this link, http://www.surfacehippy.info/exercisesmcminn.php

I worked up to doing the above 3 reps a day, at 20 to 30 times for each one.

We are both back to work on Monday, how nice it would be to not work, and retire. We will now be able to enjoy it a lot more for sure...

Bob

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM