+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turning the corner  (Read 1963 times)

Juno

Turning the corner
« on: July 25, 2013, 01:53:05 PM »
Hi all,

I am 14 days post op today and I finally feel like I turned the corner! Hooray!

I Slept reasonably well the last two nights. I can finally roll stomach to back to un operated side and not feel like I'm going to dislocate my hip. It's still a pain to prop the pillow and find a comfy position, but it's better. I still have mild swelling from knee to butt.

Today was the last day for the Xarelto -- so one pill down! I've got two more weeks of baby aspirin, but hey that's easy. As Dr. Gross hippies know you are on several meds for a month after surgery - so finishing one of the major ones feels good. Also, can I just say Dr. Gross must have plastic surgeon behind is name as well cause my incision is amazingly small (3.5 inches), tight and well healed. I've seen loads of incisions / scars in my nursing career -- he does fabulous work.

I started practicing with the cane yesterday and managed to walk about 1/4 mile outdoors with it. I'm really concentrating on striking heel to toe and not leaning on the cane but using it for balance. Today I walked further by two mailboxes (that's how I'm judging my distance!), and it feels good. I feel no OA pain at all! I do feel every muscle in my butt, IT band and calf -- but I'll take muscle soreness any day. I even broke out my 5 pound hand weights on Tuesday and started with easy upper torso work while seated. Ice is still my friend and I use it at least 4x a day.

I even finally drove today....I have to use my left foot to brake. I drove 2 miles down the street and got a pedicure. I know the ladies can appreciate how good that felt.

So, the goal now is to keep myself in check and not overdo. I don't want anymore muscle cramps or a big set back.

Thanks for continuing to be encouraging. One day at a time.
Juno
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

hernanu

Re: Turning the corner
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 03:00:03 PM »
Sounds great Juno!

Each milepost is important, hitting the first "Wow - this feels better" is one of the best feelings. Keep it up.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Juno

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 04:01:53 PM »
Hernanu -- did I read in an old thread that you had a child at Amherst College? My son graduated from there just this past May.

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 04:45:52 PM »
I do. She's going into her junior year, wants to go to medical school. She told me at 7 years old she wanted to be the first supermodel dermatologist. Right on track.

bestbob

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 05:05:19 PM »
Excellent progress Juno, please don't over do it and listen to your body, as they all say.
RBHR June 18, 2013, Euclid General Ohio, Dr. Brooks

packman

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 05:22:44 PM »
Congrats on your sentiments Juno - plenty of milestones ahead and I understand your excitement
You are right on the incision - my family doctor could not believe how small the incision was
Would not worry about leaning on the cane at this point but as you progress you will start to feel that you can just tap the cane for balance and comfort - but hold your chin high you are on the right curve!
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Juno

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 06:47:18 PM »
Thanks all!

Hernanu -- small world! Great school -- my son loved his 4 years there and is spending one more year up in the area working for the Five College Consortium before grad school next year.

hernanu

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 12:13:41 PM »
Things move fast, Juno - she's doing the MCAT medical admission tests soon, and will move for early decision on a school. Sigh... growing up way too quickly.

MikeF

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 08:22:41 PM »
Wow Juno I just read your thread.....you are doing great!  Nice progress. My incision is 5 3/4" and I thought that was great. Yours is amazing. You had a great surgeon.  Do well and keep posting your progress.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat