+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 9 Weeks Out - Pain Sleeping on Either Side  (Read 1326 times)

rcomstock

9 Weeks Out - Pain Sleeping on Either Side
« on: August 04, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »
I'm 9 weeks out from a right hip Corin Cormet and overall doing very well.  There are two items that stand out that I'm trying to learn if they are normal:

1 - laying down on either side causes a pain that extends from my hip down towards my shin on the operative leg.  The pain isn't immediate, but after a few minutes begins to come on and I need to revert back to laying down on my back or stomach (or switch to the other side but then that is only temporary as well).  There is no pain when I'm walking, etc.  Anyone else experience this?

2 - muscle (I think) popping on the front of the hip joint.  No pain, just pops that feel awkward but are really more of an annoyance than anything else.  Anyone else experience this?

I started PT about 3 weeks ago and everything is on target or so it seems. 

denisesuemann

Pain Sleeping on Either Side? but sleep is sooooo important!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 08:03:19 PM »
I can speak to the first issue only:
A side position might put weight, stress, or unusual extension on nerve, muscle, or connective tissue that hasn't healed sufficiently. If you really like sleeping on your side, try this in the daytime when you are awake (!) and have some time for bed experiments (no snotty comments from others, please).

Lie in bed on your side with the operated leg on top. Lie there until the pain only just starts. Try to rule out lower back tension/swelling/strain/ by pulling your knees a couple of inches closer to your chest (this bends the legs more and straightens and eases the lower back). lower back tension (and tight hamstrings) can trigger sciatica and likely other referred (i.e, you feel it some distance from the source) nerve pains.

Also try resolving the Downhill position of the top leg (as seen from hip bone to ankle), as stretching the leg over the hip (or incision site) might cause pain and that sleepless aching -so please try putting a pillow between your thighs and extend it to between your feet - or put a second pillow between your ankles and feet. (one or two pillows depends on length of pillow, pillow size, your size, and how much you bend your legs). Sometimes the "top" leg wants to be parallel to the mattress and not squished over. Or the bottom leg doesn't want to be squished by the bony knee of the top leg. the point here is to "shorten" the stretch between your waist and that knee along where the outer seam of your jeans would be...

We forget how wide the pelvis is (especially for women) and side-sleeping requires one leg to whack way over, especially if you cross the top leg above the bottom leg. Sideways weight also pushes the implant into the socket in a loose and non-weight-bearing way. If you discover the distinction between a painful and non-painful position tell your PT and they can likely tell you the source. If you can not identify the problem then do ask your PT about it, and work with them on side positions!

BTW I could not sleep on the operated side for quite a while, but could manage a semi-side/back position by putting pillow behind my torso and kind of reclining a bit towards it.

Either way this will ease over time but it is more interesting (and useful) to investigate your difficulties and work with your body position when you are alert and awake. Good luck, I'm a huge fan of sleeping for health!

kimberly52

Re: 9 Weeks Out - Pain Sleeping on Either Side
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 08:41:53 PM »
I am 4-months out and also have that problem sleeping on either side.  One thing I have found is that the thickness of the pillow between your legs does make a difference.  Too thin or too thick causes the dull pain after a short period of time.  I found just the right thickness of pillow and extra long to reach to my ankles and whola! Perfect fit and my husband knows that pillow is off limits.  ;)

Even just reclining over the pillow propped up from the front with top leg slung over the length of it is a very comfortable way to sleep and avoid that dull pain.
LBHR 4/6/13
42/44
Dr. Michael Clarke

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat