+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: How much weight can you lift post Resurfacing?  (Read 1795 times)

Pistol-Pete

How much weight can you lift post Resurfacing?
« on: August 04, 2013, 10:06:32 PM »
I'm not new here but I lost all my old info so I needed to create a new account.  Anyways, I had my right hip resurfaced about 20 months ago and I feel great.  Been training Martial Arts and back into weight training.  I'm curious how much weight these things can handle with regards to squats and leg presses.  I use to leg press 700+ lbs but have been doing 400 lately and not sure if I shouldn't be going so heavy even though it's not that difficult.

Thoughts?

Dannywayoflife

Re: How much weight can you lift post Resurfacing?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 06:43:43 AM »
Great to see you back on here Pete! We got resurfaced within weeks of each other if memory serves!

I as you are finding that I'm really improving now. Buster on here seems to be able to lift a fair bit!

I'm personally not lifting heavy per say but lift for reps and burn. Although I am swinging a 65lb kettlebell around. I've actually just got some resistance bands and am using them increasingly to really strengthen the small muscles that are still slightly weak.

Danny
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 09:32:02 AM »
Hey Pete - I thought it was you again...

I've been careful with the weight, even now. On leg presses, I'm up to 270 (I did about 500, 3 x 8 before the OA), so decided to halve it, but ramped up the number of reps. I do 3 x 30 now, so about 90 total per workout. That's just me, and it is easy enough that I could ramp it up.

Not sure what my goal is, I may not go back up to my previous weight, just keep up the reps and slowly increase if it feels right. Buster I know has gone up to some good weights, but he is a competitor at it, so he would probably be a good source of info.

Glad to see you're doing well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Pistol-Pete

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 09:46:31 PM »
Yep, it's me.   ;D   I'm trying to put some of my mass back on and going really light just doesn't cut it.  I'm going to put a call into Dr. Snyder's office tomorrow and see what they say.  I will never get back up to the weight I was once doing but I would at least like to be doing 500-600lbs. 

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 10:24:47 AM »
I get you Pete. I promised myself early on I'd stay at 225 for 90 reps, but now that's too easy, so the ramp up to 270. That's gotten pretty easy, so I can see hitting 300, then so on.

I talked to Dr. Snyder about it, he had no problems with it after one year, which is when I started hitting that regularly. Let me know what he says, though.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

happyhopper

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »
Hi
Have just read Danny's post saying that his small muscles are still slightly weak.  I  have recently had a nerve conduction study, as part of the investigations as to why my resurfaced hip isn't functioning properly,  which confirms my nerves are fine, but that there is still weakness in my muscles.  I wonder if Danny would mind sharing some of his strengthening exercises with me, so I can get working on something new?
Thanks.   

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 06:08:18 PM »
Happy hopper I'm always willing to help other hippies! Im finding that's doing bridges, 1 leg ballancing and using a resistance band and doing isolation exercises are proving to help. I'd like to get into the pool again but just don't have enough hours in the day!
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat