+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Will my other hip fail also is that normal  (Read 1665 times)

Charvel101

• Bi Lateral Hip Replacements 6 Years Apart
Will my other hip fail also is that normal
« on: August 12, 2013, 09:27:44 AM »
I am booked for the resurfacing of my left hip my Mr Mcminn in Birmingham next week nervous but more concerned as my right hip is feeling familiar in terms of a light groin pull and aching in my glute muscle ,,,, is it me or is it very common for the good hip to follow .... Any help or comments would be good ..

I'm 46 active cyclist rower and weight trainer ,,, I gave up running last year when the pain was to much before I realised the hip had worn out.

Chris.
Mr Mcminn 2013 August 20th Left BHR   (-:
Ronan Treacy January 2020 Right BHR

fenceman

Re: Will my other hip fail also is that normal
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »
I had about 4 years before the other hip started acting up.  Although it look bad on the X-rays when I had my first one done it did not hurt at that time.   It depends on a lot of factors including wear & tear and genetics.   I have heard of many people that only need one done during their life. 

Good luck and try not to be nervous.  It will go quickly and you will be back to an active lifestyle.
Bill
L-BHR - Aug 2008 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
R-BHR - Dec 2012 - Dr. Brooks  Cleveland Clinic Euclid Hospital
L-BHR Revision Nov 2017 - Dr. Brooks Euclid

Charvel101

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 10:00:48 AM »
Thanks Bill ,,  hard to know what hurts for real I guess until the first one is done

Good feedback

Dannywayoflife

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 10:05:52 AM »
Your good hip could hurt because your compensating for your bad one.
Train hard fight easy
LBHR 10/11/2011 Mr Ronan Treacy Birmingham England
60mm cup 54mm head
Rbhr 54mm head 60mm cup 12/02/15 Ronan Treacy ROH Birmingham England
;)

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 10:20:03 AM »
Play it by ear, Chris. Your body has been under attack, so until it stabilizes once it realizes you've done something really nice for it, you don't really know what hurts for real and what not.

Has anyone looked at an XRay of the other hip and seen the signs of OA?
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Charvel101

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:43:56 AM »
I have an X-ray from a month ago and all looked well ,,, think ,my fear is the speed my left one failed went from early signs to useless in 8 months ...  Maybe it's pre op over thinking hope so glad this site is here its kept me sane in the early hours ..

Miguelito

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 12:53:09 PM »
My experience is turning out to be very similar to that of others (particularly males who are my approximate age [41 at time of surgery]and have FAI) I have read.

April 2012 I get the "Bad" right hip fixed. At this point I didn't have any pain in the "good" left hip, though it did show FAI. Just as I start ramping up my athletic activities post-surgery, the "good" hip started acting up.

I think it is probable that as one hip really fell apart, the resulting lessened physical activity protected the better hip from doing the same. Once I started being more active than I had been in years post-surgery, the deterioration of the "good" hip accelerated.

This is all just my experience, but again, it is similar to many others I have read.

Mike

RHR April 2012.
LHR March 2014.

Both Biomet Magnum/Recap 54/48, by Dr. Thomas Gross.

HippyDogwood

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 05:07:51 PM »
My experience is turning out to be very similar to that of others (particularly males who are my approximate age [41 at time of surgery]and have FAI) I have read.

April 2012 I get the "Bad" right hip fixed. At this point I didn't have any pain in the "good" left hip, though it did show FAI. Just as I start ramping up my athletic activities post-surgery, the "good" hip started acting up.

I think it is probable that as one hip really fell apart, the resulting lessened physical activity protected the better hip from doing the same. Once I started being more active than I had been in years post-surgery, the deterioration of the "good" hip accelerated.

This is all just my experience, but again, it is similar to many others I have read.

Mike

Mike

I think this is key to the whole debate. The OA cause may be natural or exacerbated by FAI and activities that necessitate different movements to right left sides.

Take a cyclist, with no FAI and a symetrical pedalling motion. OA has every chance of being mirrored both hips in time. In contrast, take a soccer player with FAI on the one side he normally kicks with - every chance of getting OA on that hip but nothing or way less on the other hip.

All comes back to root cause (genetically and activity wise) as far as I can tell

Jason0411

• Hotelier and Volunteer Lifeboat Crewman.
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 03:23:27 AM »
A lot depends on the person. My brother had his Left Hip resurfaced 13 years ago and he has never had problems with his right. I had right resurfaced 20 months ago and am starting to get problems in my left. I did have LCP in both hips as a child though which doesn't help.
RBHR Mr McMinn 6th December 2011.
Tripped and crushed head under cap 31st January 2012.
Self repairing.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat