+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Yet another 3 month update  (Read 2857 times)

brianebanta

Yet another 3 month update
« on: August 22, 2013, 12:40:55 PM »
Hello all,

I am constantly amazed by my new hip and wish I had done it a bit sooner.  At 3 months things are going great.  I started off a bit slow and focused on just healing for the first few weeks.  Spent quite a few hours and days just sitting and icing, but I was very lucky to have a fast healing process.  I think alot of that had to do with being young, fit, and healthy.  So if you are holding off cause you are only X years old.... don't!  I should have done it at 35.

I was still sometimes using crutches at week 4. I made my biggest progress during the  weeks of PT between weeks 4 and 10.  My hip now feels far better than it did prior to surgery. With the clearance of the doc have started integrating all my activities (except for Ultimate frisbee and Mountain Biking).  I went surfing last week for the first time, went on a backpacking trip with kids, I am up to 2 miles running easy, started doing yoga again.  The hardest thing is still being conservative with my hip. 

I still get soreness, but not bone pain, when exercising, but I have yet to been laid up the day after exercise which was a common occurrence before surgery, so I must be doing something right. I think I have taken less Ibuprofen in the last two weeks than I used to take in one day.

all in all I couldn't be happier, on my way to my goal of 110% at one year post op. : ) 

-Brian

RBHR 5/21/13

Reno

Re: Yet another 3 month update
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 02:47:54 PM »
Hi Brian-

Congratulations on your 3 month progress!!!  It sounds like you are doing wonderfully.  My THR is due in four days, on Aug 26th. Woo Hoo!  And, I hope to follow in your footsteps regarding your 3 month progress.  But, in reality, I am 67 years old now, so we will see...

Again, I am happy to hear about your success and I hope the next 3 months yield even more progress!!!

Take care.
Reno-Newbie

Chris F

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »
that's awesome Brian.  Funny you mention the age thing, I got mine at 35 and I wish I had done it sooner also.  Glad to hear that your recovery is going well.  I hit my 12 week post op today and it has been awesome.

brianebanta

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 04:41:47 PM »
4 months!  It just keeps getting better!!

Been gradually increasing my strength & flexibility, walking and even running.  In the last month have gone on two more backpacking trips, including scrambling and talus hopping.  No issues other than some gluteal weakness and needing a little more padding than my camping pad offers while sleeping.  Here is a pic from John Muir Wilderness this weekend.

-Brian

hernanu

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 09:11:48 AM »
That's great Brian - one word of caution, and I'm sure you're being careful with this.

You are still in the area where the femoral neck is regaining its strength, so it is good to be careful with jumps and such. I survived a rear end car crash at the same four months span, so it is stronger, just a note to be aware.

Beautiful area, though. Thanks for the pic.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 09:12:40 AM by hernanu »
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

lgbran

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 12:05:32 AM »
Great stuff Brian
Another inspiring story.   6 weeks til surgery for me .50 feeling like 101. Wish I had this done a few years back. Just about to get another bike ride in. Will be hard putting the bike and gear away . Sounds like you have come along way in a short space of time. Keep on posting. it's inspiring !!!!!
Cheers
Len
Waiting for surgery RBHR
RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

Juno

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 10:37:56 AM »
I would echo that this is the time you start to feel really good and that you should be able to do more than you think! I am just finished week 12 and did just that last week. Felt great and did three days of spin, followed by a basic yoga class (which is kicking my butt more than the spin classes!), and also weight training (mostly upper and core, but a few lunges just to test the waters) AND, then I was hurting for 3 days and did nothing! Live and learn.

The hurt was not basic muscle soreness either. It was pain that was telling me I overdid it and to take it easy. A few days of rest, lots of water and mobic really helped.

Got myself back to spin this morning but only allowed myself 35 minutes and then some basic Pilates core work. Feel better.

It's so hard to remember that 12 weeks really isn't that long ago and the body is still recovering.  Everyday I wish my ROM was back to where it was previously....slow and steady wins the race.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:21:46 AM by Juno »
Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz