+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Asking hippy gurus -- lunges, squats?  (Read 5276 times)

Juno

Asking hippy gurus -- lunges, squats?
« on: August 27, 2013, 06:39:57 PM »
So, to all you have gone down this path before me -- about how long was it before you found you could execute a lunge with your resurfaced hip/leg forward? How about squats?

I am not yet attempting to do these moves as I am only 7 weeks post op, but I'm just curious. I am walking really well - 1 mile easily done in 18-20 minutes....I guess I'm just wondering at what point did you feel your muscles started to allowing the lunges/squats?

Thanks!

Right resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 7/11/13
Left resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 12/11/13

Gazza2

Re: Asking hippy gurus -- lunges, squats?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 07:57:40 PM »
I am now at 6 months and found lunges to be the last muscle movement to come back "naturally" or rather it is the one that I still feel muscle weakness.  I have no trouble squatting - with no weight -  I have not yet tried squatting with weight and am not in a hurry to try.  For lunges I started trying them using the TRX at the gym at ~6wks (Sort of assisted lunge as the TRX bands give you some additional stability).  On my non-operated side they are trivial, on the operated side I noticeable improved from ~4mths to now  where I it is much easier but still not as strong as on the operated side.  As always YMMV
Dr Kim Ottawa LHR Cementless C+ Feb 2013

Gazza2

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2013, 08:06:19 PM »
BTW there is a video of a hippy doing lunges with the TRX on this site

www  surfacehippy.info/exercises-returning-to-sports-hip-resurfacing.php

(link broken because I don't think it lets me post URL's)
Dr Kim Ottawa LHR Cementless C+ Feb 2013

maxx6789

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 03:47:36 AM »
juno - are you going to an outpatient PT for rehab? based on your age, etc the PT can probably best answer this question. for me, my PT had me doing lunges using the bosu ball at about 4 weeks.

if you do have access to a TRX band, in my opinion, it is probably the single best piece of equipment to get a good, safe total body workout that i can think of. i especially love the core/ad related exercises.
Left BHR Della Valle, Sept 14, 2011
Right BHR Della Valle, April 4, 2012

Juno

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 07:30:25 AM »
Thank you both!

I am a Dr. Gross patient and he does not routinely prescribe PT. I have gone to PT before and I am also a RN and Personal Trainer, so I do know many of the exercises I'd be asked to perform. I just don't want to push it especially if those muscles (and the femoral head/ joint) will likely not be ready until 5-6 months.

Great idea on the TRX -- I actually have it hanging in our basement workout area and was using it regularly before surgery. I've used it once since just to do basic upper body, but you're right it's a great apparatus -- especially for stability.

hernanu

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 09:35:32 AM »
Took me a while to do both, Juno. The second time, I went through home PT, outpatient PT and then contracted a personal trainer to help me integrate PT exercises into my regular workout routine.

Lunges were left to the last, I'd say non-weighted lunges I started to do about five months in. There's a stance in martial arts which is like a lunge, not exagerated, but there is a whole mechanism for moving from one to the next. I was using that to do my 'lunges'.

It helped that early on (late home PT) one of my stretches was to put one foot flat on a chair while standing in front, using the chair to balance if needed and hold it there. That helped - the chair was not high and I only did it when flexible enough to reach properly.

I think that helped my later lunges, but also remember that I had no 90 degree or other restrictions.

Squats, I did chair squats without weights at about four months, real squats without weights about seven or eight months in.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Juno

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 07:32:24 AM »
Thanks Hern.

I realistically knew it would be months before those stabilizing muscles would allow lunges, but I guess (once again) I was hoping I was superwoman and could do them faster! You'd think I would have learned by now.

I guess it's time to just keep doing the basics.

packman

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 07:49:13 AM »
I will be asking Dr. Gross / Lee Webb, the exact same question shortly - I am currently 5 months post-op and waiting until 6 months plus / golf season to wind down before moving to lunges / squats work. Currently I am doing 25 minutes on an elliptical, followed by 30 minutes of weights / abs work (seated - no hip pressure), followed by 25 minute on another type of elliptical strider and doing that 2 X a week. Pain free but still feel occasional stretch points.
Squats and lunges engage the bigger muscles and are a great fat burner/control exercise.
I am being cautious and mindful of the previous restrictions on no running / no hip pounding sports like basketball, tennis, for 1 year - so lunges and squats are red light to me at the moment.
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

hernanu

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 09:45:47 AM »
Thanks Hern.

I realistically knew it would be months before those stabilizing muscles would allow lunges, but I guess (once again) I was hoping I was superwoman and could do them faster! You'd think I would have learned by now.

I guess it's time to just keep doing the basics.

Well, you are superwoman, Juno - you're walking and thinking lunges after having your hip resurfaced.

It's just that every now and then that outfit with the "S" on it goes into the cleaners, the tailor, etc. and you're home wearing the fluffy slippers and watching sappy movies. While working your butt off on getting your body healed.

Your suit is out of commission, it will be back in use in (seems like now) no time.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

Brian Wilson

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 11:04:19 AM »
Packman, does your reference to the end of golf season mean that you are back golfing?

packman

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 01:06:16 PM »
Absolutely Brian - I rejoined "the tour" at my club June 28/13 or 3 months plus a week post-op, and have  not had any setbacks. We are talking about fully walking 18 holes on a course 6500 yards.
1) At week 7 I received xray clearance from the doctor and the permission to begin additional exercises and in-home PT (Dr. Gross gives prescribed exercises - their team is not big on using a PT - whether waste of $ or risk they try to push you too hard - who knows)
2) At week 7 I began my elliptical gym work and stationary bike (no resistance) in additional to the stretches. Dr. Gross also told me golf is not much risk - more twisting - it's not like running, tennis or basketball, no lifting more than 50 lbs, or even martials weight transfers on the joint. I wanted to make sure I had some strength back
3) At weeks 9-11 I started doing some chipping and putting, and then anxiety got me to try a few wedge shots - not going all out, but to see if I had any pain or clicks / discomfort - took a full 3 days rest between sessions
4) At week 12 - hit more full shots on the range and I walked 9 holes without any clubs as a checkpoint
On June 21 played my first practice round and felt I was ok. Interestingly enough I don't like a golf cart - involves lifting the right leg gas pedal to brake and had minor discomfort there - I use a push cart and don't carry my clubs anymore)

So I was where you were Brian, (btw I am 55), and wanted to give you some positive aspirations but recognize a) take a cautious/planned approach and back off if any pain/ discomfort b) we all heal differently - I have been very fortunate to date c) Hernau provides great advice - I cannot reiterate the mantra "listen to your body", and my own - walk walk walk - the best exercise for the mind and confidence of being back to normal
Bilateral 99.9% Canadian,.1% USA re; BHRP (right) -3/21/13 Biomet uncemented - Dr. Gross / Lee Webb Columbia South Carolina
BHRP (left) standard uncemented Dr Emil Schemitsch sept 25/17
London Ontario Canada
Damn Osteoarthritis!!

Arrojo

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »
It was three months for me.  It was at that point, that Dr. Su lifted all restrictions (other than running).  One of the keys for my great recovery was ensuring that I got the scar tissue broken up.
Dr. Su
RBHR 4/9/12

Brian Wilson

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 10:03:24 PM »
Well done Packman. Thanks for the detailed timetable. I will take it at my own pace, but it looks like I will miss the end of the season anyway. Now that I think about it, my best pal and golfing buddy was back playing three months after his THR.

We are the same age btw. I have a lot of benchmarks to get past before golf. I do coach rep hockey and am anxious to get back on the ice for practices even though I have capable assistants. I will, however, proceed very cautiously! We have training camp next weekend and I plan to attend, but will coach from the bench if at all.

Chris F

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 04:22:48 PM »
At the 5 week point my PT had me start doing lunges.  At the 8 week point I started doing them with a band around my shoulder that went under my foot to give me more resistance.  As far as squats go I started using weights at the 8 week point.  Nothing major, just a 20 lbs dumbbell in each hand.  Initially did this with my back against a balance ball which was placed against a wall.  Started using the olympic bar with a 25lb plate on each side for a total of 95 lbs at week 10.  Started running SLOWLY on the treadmill last week.  I mean 5.5 mph slowly for 12 minutes, just working on correct form.  Today is exactly 12 weeks post op for me.  It's been a game changer.

Strength and coordination has been coming back nicely, only thing that seems to be going slowly is getting the range of motion back, but the Dr. and the PT both told me to expect that.

Hope everything is going well with your recovery.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat