+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2 week to surgery  (Read 3087 times)

bkeers

2 week to surgery
« on: September 10, 2013, 06:27:57 PM »
Hi, thanks to everyone who has posted on this site. It was very helpful in my decision process.

I'm 45 yrs old and an avid mountaineer, climber and hiker. A year ago I broke down and had my hip checked out. I had been training for a half marathon, running 6-9 miles 3-4 days a week and started having constant pain in my right hip. The doc said I had end stage arthritis and recommended a THR when I was ready. I did some research (found this site) and saw a second doc, he said I was a good candidate for BHR, only problem was he was leaving the state.
Ultimately a climber I know had both hips done by Dr Keggi and gave him great reviews. I set up an appt. and he sold me on his approach. I'm scheduled for sept 23.

So far I've had two cortisone shots that each lasted about 4-5 weeks. This help on a long planned climbing trip to scotland and the ice climbing season last winter so they were worth it. I'm still climbing but not very well. I look forward to getting back to mountaineering (maybe MT Rainier again next August), climbing and big hikes. I missed my first presidential traverse, 18 miles, 7k elevation in a day, this year after making it a ritual for 8 years. I don't know if I will continue to run but it's nice to know it is a possibility.

I'm looking forward to getting my new hip and  starting rehab as I feel I've been treading water for the past 6 months. 

Jaks111

Re: 2 week to surgery
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 06:34:32 PM »
Good luck for the 23rd, I'm due mine tomorrow but can't sleep, like you I'm suffering the pain now especially playing badminton, i have put my racquet away for now which gutted me earlier,but I will be back and running better.
Jackie

hernanu

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 06:44:18 PM »
Welcome to the site and good luck! This is a great step to take for someone who is physically active and wants to keep being so.

Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

podgornymd

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:22:30 PM »
I feel your pain. I am an avid ultraendurance mtn biker and hard core backcountry teleskier living in mountains of colorado. I was sedentary for about 6 months and had surgery 4.5 months ago. The recovery was slower than i thought but i am now road riding and hiking but still with some pain issues but i think it was the right decision. Good luck!!

Charvel101

• Bi Lateral Hip Replacements 6 Years Apart
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 06:38:36 PM »
Good luck with everything just  take your time getting back to full fitness ....

Mr Mcminn 2013 August 20th Left BHR   (-:
Ronan Treacy January 2020 Right BHR

bkeers

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 12:41:26 PM »
Thanks all for the encouragement. Jak11 I hope all went well and you are starting your recovery. Went to my preop class today. Nice to hear that impact and running is ok after 9mos, I know some say 6mos but I was planning on a year. Interesting the only real restriction was no vibration (ie riding a lawn mower) for 3 mos.

whyme

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »
I'm about your age and have done climbing for many years (although not recently), in my case this was a long time coming (5 years build up), I got my hip done just 10 days ago with De Smet, so far is going well, and I hope it will be the same for you. Of course only time will tell what we can do, and how long this thing will last.
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

Anna

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 07:24:47 AM »
Good luck .... and don't forget to update us all!!  ;D

Anna
RTHR - 08/08/2013 -Mr johan witt, London

bkeers

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 02:20:35 PM »
Surge great complete. Doc say everything went well.
Waiting on first Pt session. So far easier than I thought.
No pain,yet. Excited to be one the other side of this.

hernanu

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 02:35:36 PM »
That's great and congratulations! Keep a view on the pain, don't push it but work hard (  :o  )

bkeers

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 05:18:01 PM »
Surgery was9:00am. Woke up at 11:15.
First walk (100') at 2:00. A lot of muscle pain on walk but
It felt good walk.. Doc used the anterior approach just for
Reference here. tomorrow 2 pt session and lots of ice.

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 06:14:29 PM »
Welcome to the other side! Hope things go well for you in the recovery.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

Lauren Lee

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 11:05:44 PM »
Welcome! Sounds like you are doing just fine. I am gravitationally challenged so I don't climb anything but into bed.  Prefer to keep both feet on solid ground...still active and fit though.  ;) I had surgery on June 17th and I am hitting my stride again. Feels great! It takes a while but I took the advice of some wise hippys here "slow and steady". Kind of like mountainclimbing, right? Mend strong!
RBHR on June 17, 2013

bkeers

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 03:42:44 AM »
Well thing seem to be going well. I Started my second PT walk yesterday with walker but switched to cane after a few steps and did first stairs. Second PT went well with cane and stairs and since I had
no medical issues they agreed I could go home. We'll see how home pt goes today (day 3)

lgbran

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 05:24:19 AM »
Good luck.guess the hardest part would be containing yourself and not overdoing it.keep us posted. 7 weeks until surgery for me. The last week has flown. Hopefully the next 7 will fly by

RBHR 11/11/13 by Stephen McMahon @
The Avenue Hospital Melbourne Australia

oldsoccerplayer

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 05:55:16 AM »
That's encouraging that you went straight from walker to cane. I had to be on crutches for a week in between which I think is more common. Some people are on crutches for longer, I consider myself lucky that I was able to get off them that quickly. Walking with a cane is far less restrictive and helps you feel like you're getting back to normal.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

bkeers

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2013, 05:50:15 AM »
Things have been going well. been able to walk with cane for around 1/4 mile Wednesday and Thursday. Home pt is going well also. Presurgery exercises paying off. alot of planks, one legged bridges
and one leg stands on a bosu ball really helped with the minor hip muscles.

hernanu

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2013, 09:17:59 AM »
Good stuff. Keep it up, anything to help a good recovery.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat