+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 6 week post-op update  (Read 3031 times)

BAM

6 week post-op update
« on: November 14, 2013, 08:10:20 PM »
Hello, all -- 6 week checkup, ROM tests and x-rays yesterday.  All is great, components seated well, bone growth excellent, ROM far beyond what I thought it would be and incision looking good. 

I still have some swelling under the incision but apparently only noticeable to me :) as everyone at the pool thinks I'm nuts.  Been back in the pool for 3 weeks, now doing 5 days a week, with 2 of those being 90-minute sessions.  Feels good and is really helping strengthen the muscles.

Only bad news is apparently I need to learn to walk again ... I have never had 'normal' hip joints, so this is a first and my body is definitely taking some adjusting to the new angles.  I am nearly 100% weight bearing, still taking it easy with a trekking pole for balance, and really having to concentrate on a straight, even gait with both legs doing equal work.  It probably doesn't help that the other hip is still a wreck! 

Upping the leg lifts and stretches and will start back to yoga next week.  I have not taken a pain pill of any kind (even OTC) for 5 weeks; haven't needed it. 

Thanks for the support from this site, and if I can answer any specific questions, please let me know! 

oldsoccerplayer

Re: 6 week post-op update
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 09:53:31 PM »
With all that time in the pool and the difficulty walking, maybe you should declare yourself an amphibian  :)
The post-op checkup seems to be a turning point. It seems to take 6 weeks for the body to get over the initial shock of what was done to it and begin to stabilize. It's also reassuring when  the results come back and show you're on track. Glad to hear things are going well.
BioMet Left Hip Resurfacing, Dr. Gross, 07/2013

whyme

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 07:38:57 AM »
Hi BAM, I'm 5-6 weeks ahead of you. Swelling around the incision is still there but I noticed a big improvement in the last two weeks.
Walking was alright at week 6 but I would still limp without a crutch after a few minutes. But at 7 weeks I could walk normally (no limping) without any aid.
Maybe you need to spend more time walking and less in the pool!
Left hip resurfacing (Conserve Plus) 2013-09-04
Dr. De Smet

hernanu

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 08:23:19 AM »
That's great BAM - excellent results. Your body has great recuperative powers, the walking will come, seems the swimming is doing well.
Hernan, LHR 8/24/2010, RHR 11/29/2010 - Cormet, Dr. Snyder

BAM

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 12:01:13 PM »
Oldsoccerplayer:  funny, I've been accused of being part shark as in, if I don't move, I die :) staying mobile is the only thing that held off surgery this long.

whyme:  I'm just now 100% weight bearing so am transitioning to more and more walking, the pool serves for cardio and stretching.  Of course, just about the time I'm weight bearing, we get a layer of snow and ice!  I know it will take time to work out the kinks.

I'm sure like everyone else, my gait pre-op wasn't pretty, so it's kind of all new from here on out. 

Forgot to add, I can easily reach my feet!  Life is good. 

keepmovin

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 01:41:24 PM »
Hi BAM!

Congratulations on a superb 6-week check up!  I envy you having a pool to use as therapy.  If I had the access, that's were I would be.

I, too, have 'odd hips' and once I am further along in my recovery (4 weeks yesterday), will have to learn to 'walk again' as well.  I'm using one crutch now and I'm comfortable with it - I started using the cane yesterday around the house but definitely not ready to use it fully or outside walking.  Even though my hip feels good and I'm pretty much full weight bearing, I can feel my gait is still off.

Were you given any special guidance on this or just working it out on your own?

Whyme - I'll use you as a guide, maybe at week 7 my gait will improve! :)

Oldsoccerplayer - congrats on reaching your toes - every milestone counts! ;)
LBHR - HSS, Dr. Su, 4/11/2011
RBHR - HSS, Dr. Su,  10/17/2013

BAM

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 02:20:04 PM »
keepmovin -- I'm very grateful to have access to 3 pools within 15 miles of home and take full advantage of it.  Swimming kept me sane between having to stop running and surgery and is definitely helping me recover quickly. 

A friend is a physical therapist who sidelines as a personal trainer and has been instrumental in my workout regime for the last several years; a big part of how I went into surgery in great shape and I'm grateful she's willing to work with me.  She spent a couple hours working with me on gait a few days ago and giving me 'homework' to practice to get to an even, level gait.  It's helping immensely, as is many hundreds of yards of kicking drills in the pool.  If you don't kick evenly, you either go in circles or run into your neighbor :)

Is there a PT you get a couple sessions with to work on gait re-training? 

A big part of the homework on gait is using a mirror to make sure I'm tracking evenly, shoulders to hips to feet, along with keeping the core stabilized and not falling into the old gait patterns.  I find using a trekking pole on the non-operated side helps a lot, I think it's just a reminder to balance and think.   

I certainly have different muscles working and it's a constant challenge to think about how I'm walking.  For someone who's used to moving at Mach 1 without much thought, it's hard work! 

Sorry for too much information, but if any of that is helpful, go for it.  If I can answer a specific question, let me know! 

Staggerwing

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 10:13:02 AM »
BAM,
Congratulations on your progress!  I'm 8 days post op so several weeks behind you.  Things have gone well for me to date.  I have noticed each day seems to bring a different spot of soreness, stiffness, etc.  Its hard for me to gauge, some times, if I'm doing enough, too much, or not enough.  I've tried to err on the conservative side because I've read of so many people overdoing it and having set backs. 
It truly is a great procedure and even though it's a slow recovery, it's far better than what we had prior to surgery. 
I'm not much of a swimmer but I may look in to some water therapy type classes at the Y.
LBHR, Dr. Brooks, Euclid, Ohio,  11/8/13

Reno

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2013, 04:48:21 PM »
Hi BAM-
Your progress is astounding, which is wonderful.  And, I am envious of the amount of time you can spend in the water at this point in your recovery.  I had a THR of my left hip due to Avascular Necrosis, and I am at 11 weeks this coming Monday. Woo Hoo! I was cleared to get in the water at my 6 week checkup, and probably could have by around week 4. But my PT cautioned me to go slowly, doing only the exercises she provided for me, initially. I assured her that I have been an avid swimmer since I was around 3-4 years old, but she said some of my muscles were not strong enough... I have started water aerobics recently, and it is wonderful even just being in the water again. And, I have stayed at my own pace, not trying to keep up with the class. So far so good.

A question for you, BAM. Are you actually swimming, especially including the flutter kick/free style breast stroke? While I have not been cautioned about it, I have heard some Hippies on the site say they were told not to.

Take care and I wish you a speedy recovery in working on your gait.
Reno

BAM

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2013, 11:05:34 PM »
Staggerwing -- hopefully your recovery continues well!  Conservative is good, we have to let our bodies heal.  I think the swimming has been huge in my recovery. 

Reno -- yes, I swim freestyle and back stroke with flutter kicking.  No breast or butterfly (due to the hips I haven't been able to do that for about a year anyway.)  We have a Masters swimming program and I've been doing the mid-level workout the last couple weeks which is usually 3000 yards or so, with no issues.  I certainly feel the muscles but I expected that.  But I'm not dealing with a THR either, so I don't know how it compares. 

I don't view my recovery as astounding; I put a huge amount of effort into going into surgery in the best possible shape and I really think that's paying off.  I'm also grateful my work schedule is flexible enough I could stay in the office for 6 weeks post-op instead of my normal field work, which let me get back to work full time 7 days after surgery. 

Reno

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 02:29:56 PM »
Hi BAM-

Oops. I meant to say that I will be 12 weeks post-op tomorrow. When I tried freestyle and back stroke I had no problem, although I did them both gingerly... I fully agree that your pre-op preparation has greatly contributed to your recovery and how well you are doing. Prior to my surgery I spent 4 months practically in bed, and my left thigh was atrophied as a result. So, PT has been difficult but has helped tremendously. I can really see the payoff, as you did in working so hard prior to your surgery.

Thanks for your response, BAM. Wishing you continued success in your recovery and I will keep you updated on mine.
Reno

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat