+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 9 days after op  (Read 2470 times)

John P

9 days after op
« on: June 13, 2008, 07:11:37 PM »
Hi there,

I am a 41 year old soccer coach from ireland and would like to share my last few days experince with you all. It is now 9 days after my resurfacing and starting to really feel that progress is here.
I had surgery in Blackrock clinic , Dublin, Ireland. I arrived in the hospital on wednesday midday, checked in at noon and was brought to my room. It was top class and very clean and all the medical staff were professional , and very caring. During the afternoon I went for last hip and chest xrays, had bloods taken and filled out all the appropiate paperwork. My Doctor Paul Nicholson came in that evening and had a good chat an told me all would work well after op.
The anesthestice also paid me a visit to explain what she would do before and during the op and it was all very reassuring. I was going to have an epidural which would really help with recovery.I had to shower with surgical disinfectant that evening and once again the following morning pre surgery.
I was taken down for the op at 9.30. Met surgeon & crew again in theatre and we had a final chat before the medication kicked in. I honestly cant say i remember much. Then The next thing I knew I was fully awake and aware 3 hours later in my room. I was being monitored for blood pressure, heart rate and oxygen. I also had morphine on tap for pain but this was limited to a certain amount for obvious reasons.
The pain was all from the muscles and wound and the joint really felt pain free. Next morning the Physio had me out of bed and walking down the corridor and back also started muscle strenghtening excercises. Rough work. The following 6 days in hospital were spent on crutches and doing strenghting excercises. It was a good experience but the beds can get your back after a few days.
On returning home I have surgical soreness and muscle soreness particurlay in the quads and even sore bruising in the groin area but it is getting better by the day. I am continuning my rehab at home with strectchng excercises 3 times per day, 3 x 10 minute constant walks per day, plently of stop start walking around the house. All on crutches. I do have swelling particularly in my right knee but hopefully this should subside soon.
Today it all started to feel a bit easier but I know the next 4 weeks are the main time I must concentrate and work on rehab without overdoing it.
I will keep you up to date next week.

John P

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 9 days after op
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 05:13:44 PM »
Hi John

I wanted to congratulate you again on your new hip!

Keep up the good work.  I look forward to hearing more as you recover.

It will get better and better.  Sometimes you will plateau and things seem the same, but then all of a sudden you take a big step forward and feel much better.  I felt big changes at 4 weeks when I did not need a crutch and at about 6 months when my energy finally returned.

I wish you the best of luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

yollyloo

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 10:34:16 PM »
Hi John,

Good to hear you're doing well and keeping up with exercises... I too had surgery last Thursday 5th June in Sydney. I'm a 43 yo mum who's just had a BMHR and every day just gets better and better. I look forward to reading more on your progress.

Yolanda, 43 yo
Left Birmingham Mid Head Resection
Sydney, Australia

John P

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 01:24:52 AM »
Hi Yolanda,

Just to let you know i had the Birmingham hip resurface product also on my hip. I discussed a number of different resurfacing products with my surgeon but we went for the BHR as it has the most data to look back on and here in Ireland it is most commonly used.

I hope your recovery is going well and would be interested if you could post your progress also.

Bets wishes

John P

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2008, 09:55:11 AM »
Hi Yolanda

Good to hear from your.  I would encourage you to start a story on the Hip Stories section about your new BMHR.  You should have your own topic to post your updates.

Some people don't know about the BMHR - here is a page with lots of info and videos from Mr. McMinn, the designer of the hip device.  http://www.surfacehippy.info/bmhr.php

I hope you continue to do well and will give us some updates now and then.

Good Luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat