+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Michigan Hippy! 5 days post-op  (Read 2385 times)

deb podany

New Michigan Hippy! 5 days post-op
« on: June 20, 2008, 08:49:16 AM »
I had my hip resurfaced Monday morning on June 16th by Dr. Schmidt in Commerce, Michigan.  I had been diagnosed with hip dysplasia and had been in constant pain (5-6 on a standard pain scale of 1-10) for months before my surgery.  I developed pain in my leg more than a year ago which slowly progressed to groin pain (never occured to me that it was my hip!).  What started as a slight limp became more of a lurch as I was literally throwing my body forward to walk!  Finally began using a 4-prong cane and then pain began radiating to both buttocks.  Needless to say, I was miserable and frankly at this point became pretty much home bound.  Surgery came none to soon.

My surgery was scheduled for 9:00 a.m. and by 10:30 a.m. I was awake and in my room.  Physical therapy pretty much began immediately.  The first thing I noticed was how my pain had decreased.  Other than pain in the surgical area and leg, I was no longer being tortured with pain throughout my buttocks.  I was discharged to home on Wednesday morning (my 52nd birthday!).  I was discharged with the standard Ted hose to reduce the chance of blood clots, 325 mg of aspirin a day, and Vicodin.

As of this date, I continue to be amazed how well I feel.  Until my leg pain began I had always been a fairly active person, but not an athlete by any means.  By the time I was diagnosed I had lost a great deal of muscle tone and strength. 

Right now I am virtually pain free (maybe a 2 on the standard 1-10 pain scale.  Having some trouble sleeping, but this is pretty normal.  My right leg still feels stiff, however that seems to improve daily.  I was fortunate to be able to have stiches instead of staples and my incision seems to be healing nicely. 

All in all, I feel incredibly lucky and would high recommend to other future hippies to not delay the surgery.  I also would highly recommend Dr. Phillip Schmidt.  He is not only a great surgeon, but also personable with a great beside manner.  He practices out of Huron Valley/Sinai Hospital which is part of the Detroit Medical Center.

I continue to do my physical therapy exercises and do as much walking (with the assist of a walker) as I can tolerate daily.  I can tell if I am over doing it when my legs start feeling shaky! 

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to e-mail me.  Good luck to all future hippies!

diann1460

Re: New Michigan Hippy! 5 days post-op
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 08:54:53 AM »
Congratulations!  you will be amazed how quickly your progress will be over the next few weeks.  I am 3 weeks post surgery today and just returned from a 2 mile walk (with my cane!), something I hadn't been able to do for 3 years!  I feel like I have a new lease on life...you will have trouble sleeping for the first week or so...I just started being able to fall and stay asleep this week.  Keep up the good work...don't try to do too much  too fast...progress will come naturally and i promise you will be thrilled to be pain free and moving about very soon!

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 09:03:29 AM »
Hi Deb

Congratulations on your new hip! You are an official Surface Hippy.

Glad to hear everything went so well.  People find it hard to believe how good you can feel after surgery.  THere is the pain and tenderness of the surgery along with stiff muscles, but the old terrible hip pain is gone.

I hope you continue to recover quickly.  I will post your story on the website when I get a chance. I hope you will stay in touch and give us updates as you improve.

Hip resurfacing is a great surgery and I wish you the best of luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

soon2Bhip

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2008, 11:28:26 AM »
Congratulations Deb! 

Dr. Schmitt resurfaced my hip also (May 8th).  It's been 6 weeks and everyday gets a little better.  I biked for 10 miles at 4 weeks.  By week 5 I had logged 70 miles (with one 25 miler).  I plan on riding this weekend if the weather holds up.

The only weak area I am struggling with is the side of my right leg where the incision was made.  When I lay on my left side, I still cannot lift my right leg up (side leg-lifts).  I guess this is the last area to heal since it was probably traumatized the most.  Because of this weakness, I still have a slight limp and am using a walking stick intermittently to help keep my gait as normal as possible.  I'm curious how long it will be until this area is healed and strong enough for leg lifts.  I'm in PT 3 days a week now so that should help.

It sounds like you will be better than ever Deb.  Good luck with your continued recovery!
Cathy

deb podany

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 06:46:25 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their encouragement.  This is now Day 6 post-op.  Did discover yesterday that I am already getting frustrated at my mobility restrictions.  Have to continually remind myself that it is getting a little better each day and I must be patient - I am not normally a patient person.  Also, put some sweats on yesterday for the first time.  I was shocked at the swelling on my right (surgery side), including my buttock area.  My loose sweats no longer felt loose, just uncomfortable.  I felt like the Goodyear Blimp.  This was depressing although I understand that swelling is normal.

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for the swelling to subside? 

Thanks again for all the responses.  Will continue to update my progress.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat