+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blood Clots 3 Weeks Post Op  (Read 8490 times)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Blood Clots 3 Weeks Post Op
« on: June 20, 2008, 09:31:28 PM »
Link http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/surfacehippy/message/94261

...For those of you who don't recall, my husband ended upin the hospital 3 weeks post-surgery with blood clots. One traveled to his lungs and embedded in the lower-lobe. He determined this by severe shortness of breath and chest pain. My husband is a big and activeman (6'4", 245 lbs.) and the surgery knocked him for a loop so to speak - he wasn't able to do the level of exercise he was accustomed to doing, and even though he received Lovanox injections for 10 days after he came home from the hospital the blood clots occured. This is apparently not unusual, but to have one break up can result in some serious complications. He was hospitalized for 8 days and unable to get out of bed for 4. He has 2 large clots (one in his thigh that is about 13" long, one behind his knee that is about 4") so he will be on blood thinners for approx. 6 months. This is certainly a possiblity after any surgery...
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:07:50 PM by Pat Walter »
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Kal

Re: Blood Clots 3 Weeks Post Op
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 01:05:36 PM »
Pat,

What were the signs of his clots in the thigh?  Was he actually able to feel them by hand or did this take doctor examination to reveal the problem?

Kal

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Blood Clots 3 Weeks Post Op
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 02:12:07 PM »
Hi Kal

I don't know any more about the blood clots other than they message told. 

I do know several people have had problems and normally felt so bad they went to the emergency room.

I wish we had a doctor that could tell you more, but I can't since I am not medically trained.

I posted the story so people would realize that blood clots can happen and if any time post op you are having serious problems, it is always best to error on the safe side and call your doctor or visit the ER. Many people don't think blood clots can happen or are serious, but they can be.

My Mom who was 86 had a piece of one break off from in her leg and it stopped her breathing and heart.  She was already in the hospital and they immediately put her on a ventilator and saved her life.

I am sorry I can't tell you more.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat