+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need Surgeon in Ohio  (Read 1818 times)

LILLYFARM

Need Surgeon in Ohio
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:05:26 AM »
Pat:
My husband suddenly began having hip pain late last winter.   diagnosis was bone on bone...and a complete hip replacement.   we scheduled the surgery (finally after lots and lots of pain pills, etc.) and then he decided he couldn't deal with them 'cutting his leg off'.   He's 56 - very active farmer.   He went through about two more weeks of excruciating pain, and rescheduled the surgery!   (yeah, he did.)   His surgery is actually scheduled for next Tuesday.  Now, we have heard about the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing and that's exactly what he wants to do.  He had a meeting with his surgeon last Thursday to discuss this option.  His surgeon is trained in BHR technique, but according to your site, has done less than 50 resurfacings.  And, he doesn't want to do that procedure on my husband, because he feels it shouldn't be done on patients over 45!   He said he would do it, if that's what hubby really wanted, but that was not his recommendation.  Now, after discovering your site, I'm really, really hesitant about even having this surgeon do the BHR because he doesn't seem to have enough experience in it, and maybe that's why he doesn't want to do it.   He couldn't give my husband any clear, definite reason why - i.e. medical or physical - that the BHR wouldn't be the best option.

Have you ever heard of something like this?   I truly hate to do it yet again, but I am seriously thinking of having him cancel the surgery yet a second time!  We are about 2 hours away from Cleveland Clinic (Dr. Brooks) and I see that he has done at least 200 resurfacings, and seems to state in his statement exactly what my husband feels about cutting away the top of his femur.   Suggestions?   Advice?   Help!   

Dianna   (wife of a future 'surface hippy') ::)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Need Surgeon in Ohio
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 11:57:55 AM »
Hi Dianna

Personally, I have learned over the last 3 years that the experience of the resurfacing surgeon is the most important thing to consider.

I would not want to use a surgeon that did not think he wanted to do a hip resurfacing for your husband.  Age is not the determining factor.  I was 61 when I had mine done and I know many older men than I am that had hip resurfacing.

Dr. Brooks has done quite a few resurfacings and seems committed to resurfacing.  I definitely would contact him befoe I gambled on not getting a resurfacing.  A doctor should give you the odds of getting a resurfacing and it should be high.  The doctor should be optimistic and be committed to resurfacing.

Many of us have cancelled THRs to get hip resurfacing.  There are always plenty of surgeons to give your husband a THR if you end up having to go that way.  56 is still pretty young and I would consult with a more expeirneced surgeon.

I have heard of many of the newer resurfacing surgeons doing "bait and switch"  They just are not experienced enough to do difficult surgeries and won't gamble.  It is not a gamble in the hands of an experienced surgeon.

You might also want to consider going further to Doctors like Gross in SC or Mont in Baltimore.  Both have done over 1300 resurfacings. 

Don't let the old fashioned negative doctors scare you into a THR.  Find out from the experineced surgeons just want can and can't be done.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

xocy

Re: Need Surgeon in Ohio
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 12:10:42 AM »
I'm 59 and have good bone density. Just had bilat 2 weeks ago and I am progressing rapidly. I'm not a doctor so I don't know why your OS has a strict cut off date. Only time will tell if I made the right decision.

Mike
Dr. Gross Left 6/23 Right 6/25
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM