+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: anyone had double bhrs 3-4 months apart?  (Read 2163 times)

ahershberger

anyone had double bhrs 3-4 months apart?
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:28:20 PM »
I was told by my surgeon that he'll do my other hip at least 3 months out but then I read that many people on this site had both done at the same time.  I am all for following my surgeon's recommendation but wondered if anyone has done it like this?  My left one will be Aug. 4 and I want my right to be done in December.  Should I wait longer?  The pain is now equal and we'll have already met our deductible!
ahershberger
kansas city area

xocy

Re: anyone had double bhrs 3-4 months apart?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 10:59:43 PM »
I'm slightly past 2 weeks post op and glad I had them done in the same week. Two days after coming home I was wondering what the Hell I'd done, but it was the right decision. Blood loss is one of the big issues and I lost very little. Dr. Gross uses Cell Saver.

Mike
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 05:30:37 PM »
Hi

It is usually a personal choice between the patient and doctor how bi-lats are handled.  Many of the overseas doctors do them both at one time.  I have a handful of bi-lat patient stories from my doctor, De Smet of Belgium here  http://www.surfacehippy.info/hipstories.php#Dr._De_Smet_Hip_Stories_

Most of the US doctors don't normally do them at the same time.  You have to be physically strong and mentally strong to do both at the same time.

It is really your choice and if you want them done at the same time, finding a really experienced surgeon who will do both at the same time.

Best of luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

ahershberger

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 05:54:36 PM »
Thanks for responding  Pat.  I am very comfortable using Dr. Scott Cook (Leawood Kansas) who waits at least 3 months before doing the other.  I posted hoping I'd hear from someone who did them both within this same time frame to get some feedback.   I have heard good things about my surgeon and will do what he says.  I really do want to do them close together just because I want to get it overwith!!

Tarhoo2

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 11:17:33 AM »
I tried to respond previously to your post regarding bilateral BHR's, but for whatever reason, it didn't post.  I had BHR's done 3-1/2 months apart (12/18/07 and 4/4/08) by Dr. Andy Engh of Anderson Orthopaedic Clinic in Arlington, VA.  I think he would have preferred to wait a little longer, but the condition of my non-operative (right) hip (which continued to deteriorate) was impeding rehab of the left hip.

I am 48 and pretty healthy in general.  I'm glad I went ahead and did it.  At seven months out on the left and a little over three on the right, I am biking (stationary bike) 35-40 minutes a day or walking 35-45 minutes a day, or both some days.  I've started swinging a golf club again (not well yet, but at least I'm swinging).

I'm a very happy camper -- feel like my life has been given back to me -- and truly believe in this procedure or, for that matter, THR, if BHR cannot be done.

I'd be happy to speak with you, if you'd like.

At any rate, I wish you good luck and hope you have the same results I've had.

marathonhippo

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 04:29:30 PM »
I had mine done 5 weeks apart, and it has been fine (I was 56 at the time).  I know what you mean when you say you want to get it done and over with.   I was really sick of putting up with the pain in the non-operated hip.   I had actually planned on having them done 2 weeks apart (which is the soonest my surgeon would do it), but the schedule was filling up so fast, I ended up at 5 weeks.  Looking back, I'm glad it was that long so my first hip had time to heal enough to take the load.  My rehab was fairly quick and easy, and I have no regrets at all about doing them 5 weeks apart.  Another advantage is of course to get them done in the same year so you have your deductables paid and the out of pocket maximum met before your 2nd surgery.

Good luck,

Alan
RBHR  2/4/2008 - LBHR 3/10/2008 Dr. Hickman

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz