+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: range of motion  (Read 1619 times)

pamelaj

range of motion
« on: July 17, 2008, 12:44:06 AM »
Do any of you know what the difference is between the range of motion with a BHR and THR?
thx

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: range of motion
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:05:57 PM »
The BHR gives the best range of motion since it acts more like the natural hip.  It loads the hip in the same manner as the original equipment.  The THR has a long rod down the shaft of the femur and does not act like the original equipment.  That is is laymans terms which is all I can use since I am not medically trained.

Here is an answer from Dr. Vail   http://www.surfacehippy.info/faqrom.php

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Vicky

Re: range of motion
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 06:59:40 PM »
That depends on the type of THR.  There are a ton of different THR's out there.  If you are talking about the newer MoM THR then the ROM is pretty much the same.  But at the same time ROM should not be your only determining factor in deciding which surgery you want to have.  If you have a choice, a resurfacing should ALWAYS be the only choice IMO.  It is like choosing between pulling a tooth or crowning it.  There is absolutely no reason to amputate a perfectly healthy bone if you don't need to.  With the smaller head old style Metal on poly THR devices, my Mom has two of them and she can't even cross her legs.  I know of one person that dislocated her THR several times, one time by just reaching for a cup of coffee. 

Vicky

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat