+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Insurance & more  (Read 3568 times)

LP

Insurance & more
« on: July 17, 2008, 10:30:32 PM »
In April 2006 I had my right hip resurfaced by Dr. De Smet (my expense).  Now the left hip needs it so I am going though my HMO.  Orthos at UW hospital tell me my age (58) and  bone density (slight osteopenia) make me a bad resurfacing candidate. (De Smet and Rogerson have both seen my x-rays and tell me I am perfect for resurfacing ) UW orthos also use Conserve , Biomet & Zimmer prostheses which I understand do not fall under FDA approval.  I would like my insurance to refer me out for a BHR with a surgeon trained and experienced with them   Has anyone else lobbyed their company successfully?
Can anyone help me understand how non-FDA approved devices can be used?  Other words of wisdom &/or support??
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 01:59:32 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Insurance & more
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 02:03:01 PM »
I don't know much about insurance, but I know that doctors use FDA approved components to have insurance approve surgeries for hip resurfacings.  The only 2 systems approved are the BHR and Cormet.  However, all the others, like the Biomet components, Wright C+ and ASR  components are all FDA approved components.  The doctors the use approved components off label to get insurance approval.

Dr. Gross explains it well in this article  http://www.surfacehippy.info/fdaapproval.php

I hope that helps you.  I would not worry about what device is being used as much as choosing the most experineced surgeon you can find.  It is their skill that makes or breaks the surgery, not the hip component.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stevel

Re: Insurance & more
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 04:42:46 PM »
Dr. James Pritchett in Seattle installs the FDA approved Birmingham Device.  Check out his website referenced in Doctor information on the website.
Steve
LBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 9/29/08 age 55
RBHR 60mm/54mm Dr Su 11/1/19 age 66
Age 70

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat