+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: What does it mean when your femur is flattening?  (Read 2610 times)

Renee P

What does it mean when your femur is flattening?
« on: July 25, 2008, 10:33:08 PM »
Hi Everyone, 

I had a cortisone shot today to try and get some pain relief for my OA.  I happened to have my ankles crossed when the OS turned on the fluoroscope.  He noticed something on the x-ray right away and had me cross my bad leg over my good knee.  He showed me that my femur is starting to flatten.  What does that mean as far as the stage of OA, what does it mean for resurfacing....and why do I still have good range of motion (in most directions...a little trouble with adduction and abduction) and no limping (except when I sit too long or in the wrong position)?????  My hip x-ray 3 weeks ago showed no more cartilage wear than a year ago.  I was told to ask for a false-profile x-ray (I have dysplasia), which I plan on doing, but I'm a little freaked out by the flattening femur.  Am I running out of resurfacing time??????

Renee

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: What does it mean when your femur is flattening?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 11:43:38 PM »
Hi Renee

I am not medically trained and don't know what a flattening femur means.

I would try to get your x-rays to some of the really experienced sugeons and get some input from them. 

I think you understand that there is a window of opportunity to have a hip resurfacing and a person can go beyond that where they can only get a THR.  The condition you talk about is a new one to me.  I have not heard of it before.

I think some of the doctors can tell you more and I hope you will share what you learn with us.

I wish you the best of luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Renee P

Re: What does it mean when your femur is flattening?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 09:04:45 AM »
I meant the head of my femur. He said it's wear from the arthritis, I just wasn't sure what it means as far as rsurfacing goes.  Vicky...I'm going to call on Monday and ask for a false profile, and copies of my other x-rays on disc so I can send them all out to the top surgeons.  I haven't sent my standard AP x-rays because they don't show anything!  All the things that have been discovered have been seen on fluroscope at weird angles.

Pat....when  have more info, I'll definitely share with everyone!

Thanks!

Renee

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM