+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sharp pain in hip when yawning???  (Read 7992 times)

AmyOhio

Sharp pain in hip when yawning???
« on: August 03, 2008, 07:12:19 AM »
Hi everyone.  I am new to the sight and have a 7 week old left BHR.  I still have a considerable amount of pain and a limp but my most disturbing problem is an extremely sharp jolt of pain in my new hip whenever a take a deep breath or yawn.  HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS???  Of course I am fabricating the worst.  Amy

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Sharp pain in hip when yawning???
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 09:38:30 PM »
Hi Amy

Welcome to Hip Talk.  It is interesting about your pain when taking a deep breath or yawning.  I would be sure to ask your doctor about it.

Maybe, somehow, you are pulling some muscles that were upset during surgery.  I am not medically trained and don't know for sure, just a silly guess.

If you have a serious problem like a displaced cup or cracked femur, you would have terrible, terrible pain that would not go away.  So I would guess, it probably is not something really serious - but only your doctor can tell you.

Who was your doctor?  Where do you live in Ohio?  I live in Marietta, OH.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 09:34:49 AM »
Hi Amy - That sounds like a muscular problem, as Pat said. I would ask my doctor or PT for some recommended exercises.
- Tom
RBHR 7/1/08
Dr. Ari Pressman - Pittsburgh (excellent)

AmyOhio

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »
Thanks so much for your suggestions/advice.  I have a call in to my Doctor.  My BHR was done on 6/16/08 at Euclid Hospital by Dr Peter Brooks.  This is hopefully the last surgery I will undergo to correct a congenital hip problem and so far (other than the odd pain with deep breaths) everything is going well.  Pat, I live in Clyde Ohio.  Did Dr Brooks also do your surgery?  Amy

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 05:55:40 PM »
Hi Amy

I went to Dr. De Smet in Belgium for several reasons:

• The BHR was not FDA approved in the US when I had mine done
  • [I had no medical insurance and could not afford surgery in the US even if I found a doctor that would do me
  • I wanted a really experienced surgeon since I was an older woman at 61 with a loss of bone density. Most US doctors own't do older women.  Dr. De Smet had done over 2000 hip resurfacings when I had mine done 2 years ago

It was quite differnt before the FDA approved the BHR and Cormet.  Many of us had to travel overseas for hip resurfacing. THe other doctors that did it in the US were doing it with other hip devices as off label.

I hope your pain is from some type of muscle problem and will resolve itself for you.  I did some water therapy at 6 weeks post op since I was so stiff. THat really helped me.  I did a lot of water walking, forward, backwards, left and right.  Also some stretches and exercises  http://www.surfacehippy.info/poolexercises.php

I hope things get better for you.  PLease keep in touch.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat