+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Re-surfaced leg shorter after surgery  (Read 12987 times)

hollyk

Re-surfaced leg shorter after surgery
« on: August 05, 2008, 11:11:39 AM »
I know there have been other posts on this topic.  I had my right hip re-surfaced almost 7 weeks ago. I still have pain in the operated leg as well as my other hip and in my knee. The physical therapists kept looking at me with a curious look as to why I was still liming so much. Yesterday they measured my operated leg and found it is 1 cm. shorter than the other..I have not talked to the Dr. yet, but I did not picture myself still limping at this point in recovery...any input would be helpful..thanks!

sroberts

• rbhr Dr Rogerson 6/26/08
Re: Re-surfaced leg shorter after surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:24:40 AM »
Holly,

Talk to your surgeon to put your mind at ease. Ask him if it will resolve? Or do you need an orthotic (heel lift).

I hope you get satisfaction.

spencer

hollyk

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 07:06:39 PM »
Thanks...I see the Dr. next week. My problem is I will be really upset if I have to use an orthotic lift as I live in Florida and wear flip flops or sandals almost always..I'm trying not to worry yet!

Vicky

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 08:07:58 PM »
Any LLD should be working it's way gone by now I would think.  Are you watching how you walk?  If not, get yourself a full length mirror and watch yourself as you walk and concentrate on every single step making sure each stride is equal and you roll your foot heel to toe and shoulders back.  We literally need to relearn how to walk after this surgery or we will learn to walk with a limp.  Who was your doctor?

Vicky

xocy

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 11:42:35 PM »
When I began walking exercises I found that walking behind a shopping cart let me concentrate on my form. Give it a try.

Mike

Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 09:53:37 AM »
I'm continuing to use my cane even though the discomfort is mostly gone. The reason for the cane is to avoid going back to my old limp. This was the advice of my PT.
Good luck - Tom
RBHR - 7/1/08
Dr. Ari Pressman - Pittsburgh (excellent)

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 09:52:22 PM »
Hi Holly

I just wanted to say that some people limp much longer than others.  We all have our own recovery and our bodies dictate it - not our minds.

I just wanted to remind you that even if you think you should not have problems at 7 weeks, some people still have problems at  7 months and there are even a few still working on getting back to normal at 2 years. These are people that have had problems for much of their life.

So don't get discouraged because you think you are healing too slowly.  You can't rush your recovery.

Many of us had back, knee and the unoperated hip pain after surgery.  YOu body has to become realigned and balanced again.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hollyk

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 06:16:40 PM »
Thanks Pat! That is helpful as it seems like a lot of people have such an "easy" recovery. I am still so much better every day, so I am hopeful. I really appreciate this web site and the ability to gain the encouragement from others!
Holly

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 12:34:02 AM »
Holly,

I am at 7 weeks as well. I limp at times, especially when I'm tired and in the back of my mind I think my operated leg is shorter.  I know it's just trying to learn how to walk normal again after all those months of limping/over compensating. Everyday we get stronger and there will come a day eventually when we no longer limp. I felt like I was 90 yrs old today. I worked out on my elliptical, then went to the floor and did abs and leg exercises. I layed there for a while when I was done watching some of the olympics and when I went to get up I was sore all over. I'm not even sure if it was a good soreness or more of body aches.
Good Luck and let us know how your appt. goes.
Lisa
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6-23-08
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

hollyk

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 04:58:49 PM »
Just curious to know if the "limpers" are those who have a leg length difference? Does the muscle stretch to compensate for that difference eventually? When I try to walk "normally" (without a cane) I get severe pain in the knee and groin area. I still haven't been to see the Dr. but I guess the therapist's concern over the leg length concerned me too! Thanks for any feed back..
Holly

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 05:16:27 PM »
Hi Holly

I did not have a limping problem very long, so I am not talking from experience.  I am thinking about the many hundreds of post I have read.

Many people will swear their leg is too long after surgery.  For many, it feels that way and actually may be from all the swelling and surgery.  For most, it eventually resolves itself.

A few people continue to have limps because of muscle problems and need a lot of PT to get back to a normal gait.

There are a small number of people that actually ended up with legs too long.  One becuase the doctor built the acetabular part of the hip up too much. I think a few others because of surgical errors.  Several ended up with legs too short.

Fortunately, not many people have permanent leg length problems.

I just wanted to comment on what I have read over the years.  I think you need to work closely with your PT and doctor to figure out what your problem is.  I hope you are able to get it under control soon.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat