+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: What Equipment do I need after surgery?  (Read 3399 times)

research

What Equipment do I need after surgery?
« on: August 09, 2008, 12:59:08 AM »
I am having my right hip resurfaced on with Dr. Ure.  What medical equipment is needed at home after surgery?

Carla
« Last Edit: August 09, 2008, 12:54:09 PM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: What Equipment do I need after surgery?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 01:08:18 PM »
Hi Carla

Welcome to Hip Talk.

Here is a list I put together of what you need, what you might want and what might be nice.

http://www.surfacehippy.info/pcwhatwillineed.php

Normally, you don't need much. The two most important items are crutches and a toilet riser for most people.  Some doctors have people use walkers instead of crutches.

Some people do a lot of extra planing and re-aranging their houses, but most just continue to live normally.  You will be moving much slower and normally on crutches.  So you can't carry much around with your and you don't want throw rugs or any things that would make you trip.

I lived in the Holiday Inn for 9 days post op and I had a higher mattress and the toilet riser. That was all.  You are taught to do steps the day after surgery, so most people have no problem with going up and down steps.  I will say that you are very tired, so most people don't go up and down too many times a day. 

Many of us used are recliners to sleep in because they were much more comfortable and sleeping at night for a week or two after surgery is a problem.  The medicines cause you to not sleep and you are uncomfortable since you can't lay on your side right away.  Many of us can lay on the unoperated side a week or so post op.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

stevenp

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 01:40:01 PM »
I had no post-surgery restrictions (like the 90-degree rule), and didn't need a toilet riser. Sitting and standing were a bit slow for a few days, but it worked fine for me.  I haven't used any other devices besides crutches. I could bend over and pick things up pretty much since I got home (third day post-op).

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 08:18:46 PM »
Carla,

Good Luck with your surgery. My Dr. recommended all the things on Pat's list and it was offered for $45.00 at hosptial. I got it because OT said it would be very helpful. I barely used anything. I could see how some people would benefit from purchasing the items if there recovery was longer. The grabber came in handy for pulling up underwear and shorts as well as picking things up that I dropped. I used the sock thingy twice. The sponge on a stick was helpful in the shower. What I really needed was a razor on a stick. My wonderful husband shaved my legs for me instead.
Hope this helps
Lisa
uncemented/biomet/Gross/6-23-08
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

Tarhoo2

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 10:37:17 PM »
I found a backpack helpful for carrying things -- books, etc. -- up and down steps while I was on crutches.

dgm

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 03:50:44 AM »
In the rehab center where I stayed post surgery, they had these extra large ice packs that were very helpful.  My husband couldn't find any that size when I got back home so I just used bags of frozen peas instead.
I used the grabber thing a lot as well as a bag/sling purse so I could carry the phone, etc around the house.  The sock thing is more aggravating than useful - I never did get the hang of it. 
After surgery, I learned it was okay to ask for help rather than thinking I could do it all myself! 

Good luck and hope that helps,
Denise
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson

nwugrad

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 02:38:38 PM »
I want to rehab as quickly and as well as possible.  Would it help to have an eliptical trainer at home?  How soon could I begin using it?  Would you recommend other exercise equipment in lieu of or in addition to an eliptical trainer?

John C

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 05:11:58 AM »
Remember that the rehab schedule varies greatly from doctor to doctor. For example, Dr Gross does not allow Elliptical trainers until 6 weeks. I balked when he first told me that, but found that it was actually the perfect timing for me. As is said here so often; everyone is different, both doctors and patients.

John/ Left biomet/ Gross/ 6/16/08
John/ Left uncemented Biomet/ Dr Gross/ 6-16-08
Right uncemented Biomet/Dr Gross/ 4/25/18

takilasunrise

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 12:09:18 PM »
I slept/lived downstairs in our livingroom for a few weeks.  I slept in our reclining chair (and I was very glad we had one).  We did borrow a bedside commode (since the only bathroom was upstairs) and set it up nearby so I wouldn't have to run up and down the stairs to go (I still used the bathroom upstairs for more privacy when needed).  I was very glad to have it the first 2 weeks!  Didn't need it after that.  The toilet seat riser with handles was a must for me.  And the grabber and the sock helper was used all the time the first month!  I used the sock helper for a few months!  I used the frozen bag of peas trick, too, which worked great!  I could have used a grab bar in the bathtub, but we didn't have one, so you can do it, but it would make it easier to have one.  Especially to get in and out of the bathtub for the first few weeks.  I did purchase a pair of nylon athletic pants for PT.  It makes it easier to get in and out of the car and to move around during PT (it makes it easy to slide around).  I have a recumbent excercise bike.  My PT told me I could use it (after I was a month post-op) but to be sure I didn't go past the 90 degree rule.  The only other thing I can suggest is to re-arrange your dresser or closet to be able to reach your clothes without bending down.  Especially for the first 2-3 weeks!  Good luck!

nwugrad

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 02:44:27 PM »
Thank you both very much for the input!  I do have a downstairs room with a bathroom, including a shower but no tub, a recliner, a tv,  a mini fridge and a computer.  It sounds like I am lucky to normally sleep on my back.  I will be sure to get the booster for the toilet seat and the grabber.  The nylon pants sound like a great idea as well.  I don't know what the sock assistance device is.  I try to avoid socks when not wearing suits, tho.

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 07:46:50 PM »
If you go to most medical equipment stores and ask for a Hip Kit (at least around here), they will give you a grabber, a sock assistant, some elastic shoelaces, a long shoe horn and a couple of other little things. It costs about $35.
Also, my hospital had a little prep class, which I did a week before surgery, with nurses, PT people, etc. It was very helpful.
My insurance paid for a hospital bed in my dining room for as long as I wanted it, since my bedroom was on the 2nd floor. It was good, but I moved upstairs after one week at home (10 days post op).
I didn't really have 90 degree restrictions either, but the toilet riser was good for about a week. Just more comfortable.
- Tom
RBHR - 7/1/08

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2008, 01:06:07 AM »
I started using my elliptical 6 weeks post-op and feel great. It is set on the lowest incline and pace. Wrapping my leg with the polar care ice pack that my doctor provided (and I got to take home)helps get the swelling down when I over do it.

Lisa
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6-23-08

takilasunrise

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2008, 03:09:53 PM »
Here's a link to a sock assistant.  I'm not endorsing the website or brand, but it has a good photo of it!

http://www.activeforever.com/p-1266-dual-handle-sock-assist.aspx

TomBuell

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2008, 04:16:35 PM »
The sock assistant looked great when the petite nurse demonstrated it at the hospital, but when I tried with my size 13 feet, it didn't really help much. Lucky it's summer and I could go without socks most of the time, or my wife helped me.
Now I have just enough flex to put them on myself.
- Tom

stevenp

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2008, 08:56:50 PM »
Tom--Same here. I 'cleverly' timed my surgery for the summer so I wouldn't have to wear socks at all. A month later, haven't worn a single sock, and my sandals are easy to slip in and out of.  ;D

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »
Same here Tom..I'm a flip flop gal all the way. I did have the urge to lace up my sneakers a few times in the past  few weeks but only used the sock assistant once other wise my son enjoyed tying our dog up with it.

Lisa
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6/23/08

research

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2008, 08:07:29 PM »
Thanks to everyone regarding what I might need after my surgery.  The responses and information on this site are great.  Thanks Pat, Vicky, and those who have gone through this surgery.  It makes it easier for those of us waiting our turn.

Carla

dgm

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2008, 12:30:43 AM »
You might want to see if any of the items will be provided by your doctor's office/PT.  They gave me a package with all of the things and the crutches too.  Another thing I thought of that was cheap and helpful was using a plastic garbage sack (the large black ones had the thickest plastic.  You can put it on the car seat and it helps you turn easily when you are getting in and out of the car.  At least there's one thing inexpensive!
Denise
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson

TomBuell

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2008, 05:52:32 PM »
Good idea Denise. My insurance didn't cover the hip kit for some reason, although they did supply a hospital bed in my home for the first month. Go figure.
- Tom

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:04:13 PM

Donate Thru Pay Pal