+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Just over 9 weeks post op and getting back on track  (Read 12195 times)

John P

Just over 9 weeks post op and getting back on track
« on: August 11, 2008, 10:41:17 AM »
Hi there,

I would like to give an update on my progress at just over 9 1/2 weeks to anyone who is travelling along the same path as myself. I would consider my recovery to date as slow to moderate. I was on 2 crutches for 6 weeks and 1 crutch for a following 2 weeks. I am now walking and working very hard on a technique Vicky mentioned ,head up shoulders back and heal to toe strides. It is amazing how difficult this is after years of incorrect walking but I am getting there.

I have been swimming daily for the past 3 weeks and love it. My pool session lasts for 45 minutes and includes water walking, stretching and swimming. I would be lost without it. I have noticed a great improvement in the srtength of my quads and this is definetely helping my walking .  I also always start my day with dynamic stretches  (strecthes with movement ). Sometimes my 10 year old daughter and sons 9 & 7 put on some up beat music and its becomes great fun in the kitchen but I have to admit I can't keep up with them. Yet! !

This has been a tough journey for me as I didnt expect not to be able to walk unaided for 8 weeks however my body knows what is best for me and I do acknowledge that. This web site have been brilliant. I was and am able to read fantastic recovery stories which gives me great encouragement. Well done to all who have sent in and replied to topics

I manage and coach a soccer team and I am happy to say I am offically back managing my team this friday. Our season starts in Sept and we have a friendly match this friday evening. This is a major step in my recovery and I am now getting back on track with life and my activities. I know I have a way to go and will be sensibly. As a slow healer post op I know some people may feel progress is slow and fustrating but I am proof (as a slow healer) that time is what is needed to heal.

Best wishes

John P

BHR June 6th

NeilDC

5 month Post Op
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 11:13:22 AM »
I had my right hip done in March at the Anderson clinic outside of DC.  I am a former college/pro player in the states and am 44 years old.   I plan on playing next month in an over 35 league and have been diligent with my training.  I was on crutches for 3 weeks and then went directly to walking and at about 5 weeks started roadbiking and lifting weights.  I started slowly but am now riding about 100 miles per week (30 to 40 miles per ride) and have been kicking the ball for about 3 weeks (no matches or contact).  I am doing drills and exercises and am finding I am needing to teach my leg how to spring/move quick again...I am seeing some improvement though and am experiencing no pain.  My goal will be to play on an open age division on a top flight amateur team in the spring.  If you can rebuild your strength, get your flexibility back there shouldn't be any problem playing...bone grafting/healing to our replacement hip is essentially done after 8-10 weeks even if it'll take about 1 year or so for full %100 percent recovery.  I am literally working out every day and taking supplements too.  I plan on posting my experiences on the athletes section of the surface hippy site when I complete a couple of matches.  Keep the faith.  Neil

John P

Re: Just over 9 weeks post op and getting back on track
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 02:07:08 PM »
Neil,

Great to hear your story. Sounds like you are progressing really well. I would be very interested to know what type of work outs you carry out every day and your training routine also what supplements you are taking. I am taking Omega 3 ,6 & 9 oil.

I am working hard on stretching to increase flexibility and swimming for muscle work.I plan to use ankle weights soon for the quads. I havent hit the bike yet but will do very soon. I am trying to be conservative for the first 12 weeks. 

I really would appeciate any tips you have.

John P

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 02:08:40 PM »
John,

I'm 7 weeks post and swimming 4 times a week and getting on my elliptical 3 times a week for 20 minutes. I then hit the floor and do my required exercises. Lateral leg lifts are killer. I'd consider my healing pace to be moderate. I do not push myself as hard as I could due to reading stories of femoral neck fractures. My bones are super strong per my Dr. but with age (38) comes caution..Ha Ha. I too have difficulty keeping up with my son (3) but each day gets easier.

Neil,

All I can say to you is I envy your endurance. You Rock!
Good Luck with your playing goal for the spring.

Lisa
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6-23-08
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

John P

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 07:19:18 PM »
Hi,

Well I was back coaching and managing my soccer team today on my official 10th week BHR anniversery. What a great feeling.

Firstly I took the team through a 20 minute warm up session ( purely verbal on my behalf but a good strong warm up session for the team). I was slightly apprehensive before the game about how I might hold up however I was amazed at how I was able to stand and move well on the side line for over 1 & 1/2 hours during the game.

The game went really well. We won 6-1. Lets hope The results on the pitch this season match the results of my BHR.

back in action

John P

stevenp

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 07:53:53 PM »
Awesome! I'm 5 weeks post-op, looking forward to walking unaided (almost there, but not rushing it), and better yet, can't wait to be able to *run* and play recreational sports again! (Nothing hardcore, but stuff like softball, volleyball, throwing a frisbee around, etc.)

NeilDC

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 12:05:02 AM »
I just sent this to John...maybe other folks are interested.

John,

I haven't assembled all my notes in an organized way but I definitely plan to.  As you know, on all things pain is the key indicator.  I looked up a lot of information on bone healing/grafting to understand the most critical healing part of the process...at 8 weeks our bones have are basically mended for most everyday activities.  I started working out at the gym using all the machines (gently and terrified on the leg ones) at 6 weeks...it was about a month later that I became comfortable really pushing it w heavier weights (probably about 80% of what I could do on any given day)...I focused on repetitions (usually 15).  I also did the body for life workout for a month as I felt my whole body had deteriorated. 

I did hydortherapy (simulated running in the pool) beginning at 3.5 weeks for about 45 minutes 3 times a week for 1 month and vigorous walking at around 7 weeks (bones respond to stimulation like muscles it turns out).  I ran for the first time at 4 months..quite frankly I haven't done much distance running yet, although I can't wait.  I tried to sprint at 4.5 months and literally fell down on my face as my right leg dragged...I sprinted again two days ago and I was much improved, we litterally have to teach ourselves to run/move fast again...I only pushed it to 60% but I was very encouraged. 

I read Weill's book on healing/healthy foods and started taking vitamin D, vitamin C, fish oil and I was taking calcium for two months....I've since stopped because Ive read it can lead to cancer.  I also began taking creatine at 8 weeks, glutamine and a recovery drink...along w glucosamine/chondroitin. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 08:26:01 PM »
Hi John

Glad to hear you are back coaching.  I am sure that really pleases you and the team.

You will continue to improve and do better and better.

Best of Luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 08:28:37 PM »
Hi Neil

Sounds like you are well on your way to recovering too.

Many people have a difficult time training their leg to run again.  It all just takes time and patience.

Hopefully, you will get to 100% at some point.

Good Luck.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
Yesterday at 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM