+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: from the hospital to a rehab center?  (Read 1700 times)

josiefisher

from the hospital to a rehab center?
« on: August 13, 2008, 11:15:50 AM »
I am planning  to have surgery  this Sept.  I live in a ranch styled home and I am trying to decide if I should go directly home after surgery or go to a rehab center.  What is the advantage of going into a rehab center?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 04:58:21 PM by Pat Walter »

CITY2SOUTH

Re: from the hospital to a rehab center?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 03:07:12 PM »
Josie,

Most people go home. Do you have help at home? What does your doctor recommend?

Lisa
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6-23-08
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 04:51:56 PM »
You'll spend a few days in the hospital, right? And most of us had some PT starting the next day. As long as you have someone to help you at home, I'd say go there. With a ranch-style home, you probably don't have too many steps.
My insurance paid for a hospital bed on the main floor of my home. I used it for a week, and it was nice to have the reclining feature for head or feet.
Good luck - Tom

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 05:02:13 PM »
Hi Josie

Welcome to Hip Talk.

Very few patients having hip resurfacing need to go to a rehab facility.  They will teach you to walk and do stairs before leaving the hospital.  You will not be an invalid, but will be moving slowing and be getting very tired.

Many of us have traveled overease for surgery.  I was back at the Holiday Inn 2 1/2 days after surgery.  I was lucky and was on one crutch at 4 days.  I was able to do a little sightseeing at 5 days post op.  I was very tired and moved very slowly, but not an invalid.

Unless you are very old or have specific health problems, you should be able to return home.  If you don't have help, try to get a neighbor, friend or someone from the church to look in on you.  The social workers at the hospitals can also help you find someone to look in on you.  You will be able to crutch around the kitchen and microwave yourself some food.  You can do about eveyrthing, but slowly.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

dgm

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 09:36:15 AM »
Hi there,
I went to a rehab center after 48 hours in the hospital but that move was because I traveled out of state to have surgery (and that's the way Dr. Rogerson's program was set up).  My husband was there to help me - but I feel certain if I had the procedure done closer to home, it would have been no problem to go home so long as you have help and can navigate around your house easily.  That said, the rehab experience was great - somehow once I was back at home (a week after surgery) I wanted to do all the things around the house that I normally did and take care of the kids.  But having four nights in rehab gave me permission (for lack of a better word) to take care of myself and not feel like I should be taking care of anyone else for a change. 

I am 6  months post-op today!  Good luck to you!!

Denise
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat