+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sch. for BiLat w/Dr. Su 9/8--Ion Issue/One Kidney  (Read 1635 times)

Donna

Sch. for BiLat w/Dr. Su 9/8--Ion Issue/One Kidney
« on: August 13, 2008, 03:07:38 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Donna I.  I'm new to the site, and I truly think it's wonderful.  Time is drawing near and my  anxiety is mounting.  I've been suffering with my right hip since last year (the last 6 months have been in terrible pain).  My left one is isn't as bad but getting there (lately it's been very painful).  Was all set for resurfacing (bilateral) but just recently found out that I was born with one kidney.  When I spoke with Blair a few weeks ago (Dr. Su's been on vacation) about it she said they most likely won't recommend the resurfacing now because of the Ion issue.  I was all geared up for this and now I'm probably faced with going with a total hip replacement.  My next decision is one or two (total hip).  I didn't seem to have a problem with deciding on doing 2 for resurfacing, but having an awful time deciding on doing 2 for total hip replacement.  I'm 48!

Anyone out there with the same issue of one kidney??  Does it really pose as a problem?? I know it's a controversial issue with resurfacing. 
Thanks!
Donna I.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 03:57:33 PM by Donna »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Sch. for BiLat w/Dr. Su 9/8--Ion Issue/One Kidney
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 04:48:55 PM »
Hi Donna

Welcome to Hip Talk.

I am sorry to hear that you only have one kidney and Dr. Su may not do a hip resurfacing for you.  You do want to remember that you probably want to error on the side of caution.  Having 2 hip resurfacings causing problems with your one kidney could be very serious.

Many people have MOM THRs and Ceramic on Ceramic THRs and live just as active of lives as hip resurfacing patients.  I assume, you should not have a MOM either since it presents the same metal ion problem.  I am guesiing the ceramic on ceramic is the only solution left for a younger person.

I am sure Dr. Su will be willing to talk with you about the problem when he returns.

The one thing you can do is to write to Dr. Bose of India and Dr. De Smet of Belgium to get their opinions.  I am not sure what I would do if they both said - it was OK for resurfacing.  This could be a difficult decision for you.  But having several of the best surgeons in the world giving you some extra input may help you make a decision.  You can write to both Dr. Bose and De Smet and they are very understanding and will talk with you via email about your situation.  We are only patients, they are the doctors with real exprience.  You can get their emails from my doctors list  http://www.surfacehippy.info/listofdoctors.php

I would definitely encourage you to get some more input.  Not because I am trying to push resurfacing only - but because this is a difficult situation and you should have as much knowledge as possible to make a decision about your future health.

Please keep in touch with us and let us know how things are going.

Why don't you join our Chat with Dr. Mont tonight???  And Saturday with Dr. Bose.  You can't ask the question about yourself - but ask what if a person only had one kidney - should they have a hip resurfacing.  See what they have to say.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

xocy

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 12:38:37 AM »
Call Dr. Gross and ask. If you leave a voicemail they will probably respond the same day.

Mike

Bilateral
Dr. Gross
L 6/23/08 R 6/25/08
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 08:40:30 AM »
Hi
I asked Dr. Mont about one kidney and hip resurfacing. Here is the question and answer from last night's chat:

[Pat Walter Moderator] 8:49 pm: If a person was only born with one kidney - could they have a hip resurfacing? Would there be a great risk due to the metal ion issue? Could the person consider a bilateral resurfacing?

[Dr. Mont] 8:51 pm: I think with normal kidney function, a resurfacing is fine. Many patients may not even know they have one kidney. I don’t think I would do both resurfacings at same time but would wait a year apart till the metal ions reach a steady-state. There is no definitive answer though, as others might argue that the metal would put a patient at risk if their kidney function deteriorated, but a lot of things would occur if kidney went South. A ceramic-on polyethylene interface would avoid the whole issue.

Again, I would definitely get some more input from the really experiened surgeons - then make up your mind.  I would think it better to be safe than sorry, but hopefully the doctors can give your better information to make a choice.

You are still welcome to post here which ever way you go.  We will give you support and be interested in your recovery.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Re: BHR by trochanteric osteotomy - Day 0 onward by sergioms
April 23, 2024, 03:32:11 AM

Re: Powerplate Use by jimbone
April 22, 2024, 12:09:35 PM

Re: 8.5 months post op - lots of problems still by Boz
April 21, 2024, 10:15:28 PM

Re: Leg lift pain by Boz