+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Surgery with Dr. Gross  (Read 1987 times)

obxpelican

Surgery with Dr. Gross
« on: August 23, 2008, 11:19:06 AM »
I wanted to share my story about my surgery.

On August 6th 2008 I had my right hip done by Dr. Gross of Columbia, SC.  The surgery from beginning to end was great, well, as great as a surgery can be.  Dr. Gross's team of Nancy, Lee and all of his other staff are fantastic to deal with.  The hospital folks at Providence NE are fantastic, they treat Dr. Gross patients like rock stars.  I am not exagerating but if you hit that nurse button next to your bed you never had to wait more than 2 minutes before somebody came to your room.... nurse Lynn is really feisty and tough but she is great people, she was Dr. Gross's 50th or so patients, she even has her x-ray laminated on her key chain.  The food was nothing to write home to your Mom about, but it was edible.  You can always have your family sneak food into you.

I was Dr. Gross's 7:30 surgery so there was no time to think about it in the morning and it took until they asked me back to switch to a gown before I started getting that uneasy feeling.  It was soon after talking to the anesthesiologist that they gave the the famous "I don't care" drug and then soon after that I was wheeled into the OR, given my spinal which did not hurt whatsoever. 

It seemed like minutes later I woke up in recover and the first thing I asked was "Did I get a hip resurfacing?" and the answer was yes.  Even though Dr. Gross was certain I would not wake up with a THR, I still worried about it.  I was taken up to my room after about an hour or so in recovery and at that point I really did not feel any pain whatsoever.  It was not until the next day that I felt any pain, but that pain was like a cramp in my hip, not throbbing pain, but just enough to be uncomfortable.  PT came in the day of surgery and I was able to walk down the hall almost to the main nurse's station and then later in the afternoon I took another walk.  On post-op day one I tackled the stairs but I have been on crutches before so that was not a problem.

I was discharged on Friday the 8th and on Saturday we left for Pittsburgh, PA for an 8 1/2 hour trip.  The trip home was mildly uncomfortable but by the time we hit mid Virginia I wanted to drive the rest of the way.  It took about an 20 minutes of discussion inside a cracker barrel restaurant with my wife and daughter for my wife to agree to me driving some of the way home.  Driving went fine and we got home around 11PM. 

The day after we arrived home I paid for the trip with lots of swelling that took almost 3 days to go down.  I also found that I had more pain than the day before too. 

I am now 17 days post op and I can get in and out of bed easily, I can get in and out of our car fairly easy.  I walk everyday and around the house I use only one crutch, outside if it looks like the terain is not level I use 2 crutches.  I have taken a few steps without crutches on occasion but my muscles just do not seem strong enough yet.  Most of the monkey fist is gone from under my incision site, although I still have some pain.  With help from my grabber I shower by myself now.  I am now able to sleep on both sides now which really makes me happy because I am NOT a back sleeper.

Tips if you're going to go through a hip resurfacing.

-Make sure you have some type of reclining chair for when you get home you may need to sleep in it the first couple nights.
-Make sure to use that ice machine, it really does help with the pain and swelling.
-Use a garbage bag to get in and out of your car.
-Buy a couple pair of those silky type of sport shorts, they slide easily on beds, car seats and chairs.
-Stay at one of the hotels close by the hospital, it makes it a lot easier for your family.
-If you drive home bring a real soft pillow to sit on, I believe that is the reason I was able to do 8 hours in a small car.

And by all means if you're having hip problems find a good surgeon who has done plenty of surgeries, don't be a practice surgery for someone who is just learning.  Listen to Pat on this board she is here to help you and she is good people too.

Chuck

Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Surgery with Dr. Gross
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 12:10:16 PM »
Hi Chuck

Congratulations on the new hip - you are an offical Surface Hippy!

I am glad you are doing well.  Sounds like you did pay for the long drive home so soon after surgery.  Glad you had the ice machine.

I hope your recovery continues to do well.  Keep in touch.

Good Luck.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

CITY2SOUTH

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 02:35:48 PM »
Hey Chuck,

I am 2 months ahead of you. Dr.G and his team are awesome and the hospital staff treated me like gold as well. My drive home was only 3 hrs but I was doped up I couldn't even think of driving. I slept most of the way. Good Luck with your recovery.

Lisa
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/6-23-08
Lisa Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/ 6-23-08

obxpelican

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 03:05:28 PM »
Lisa,

Glad to hear of another Gross successful surgery--- I am holding off saying I am successful till my 6 month to make sure nothing has slipped yet.  I was doped up till we hit Virginia but I did not want to stay overnight, I wanted to be home, all I could think of is my really comfortable lazy boy.

Hope you continue down a great recovery path.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat