+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Travel home after surgery  (Read 3389 times)

montanahippy

• 9 days post-op
Travel home after surgery
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:37:26 PM »
I'm looking at 30 hours of flying to get home from India. I'd just like to get some views on what the long flights are like after surgery. Thanks.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Travel home after surgery
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 10:10:54 PM »
Hi

Welcome to Hip Talk.

I flew from DC to Belgium and that was only 8 1/2 hours.  I was lucky that they gave me bulkhead seats coming home for the same price as economy.  I had to tell them I was wheelchair bound and unable to do stairs.  Then they gave me the bulkhead seats.

It really helped me since there was much more room in front of me and no one able to tilt their seat down in front of me.  I was also able to stand up right in front of my seat and stretch and move around.  I walked every hour during the flight.  I don't think I would have wanted to fly much longer, but many people do.

I like the 2 meals we received. They were excellent and helped make the trip more bearable.

What doctor and what hospital are you going to use?

Hopefully, one of the India patients will make a post to you.

Pat
Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Vicky

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 10:20:21 PM »
That is the worst part of the trip, but I look at it as a one day investment in the rest of my life.  At least if you are going to Dr. Bose who is one of THE best for hip resurfacing, then it is more than worth it. 

You get up every 45 minutes or so and walk around and while you are seated, you should pump your feet to keep the blood flowing.  I sat in Business class, used frequent flyer miles to upgrade and the Business class bathrooms are handicapped so they have bars on the side.  Make sure your operated leg is in the aisle so you can stretch it out when the flight attendants are not close.  If the bulk head seats are available they need to make them available for handicapped first, so ask when you make your reservations because most have more leg room.  Also ask for wheelchair service so the airports are easier.

Make sure you buy some bottles of water at the airport to take on the plane, then have the flight attendant give you a large bottle of water, tell them you just had major surgery and you need to stay well hydrated.  You will be wearing TED stockings which help.  The flight won't be until you are at least eleven days post op, so it is not as bad as those that have to get on a plane only a few days after surgery.

Vicky

dgm

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 10:11:03 AM »
Hi Montana Hippy,
I'm in Montana too, I orginally looked at going to India and found a few people locally that made the trip and had a great experience. If I remember correctly, they went to India before it was FDA approved in the states.  He was a ski patrol and I know he is back to his usual skiing now.  If you want to contact me, I can get you in touch.  I also visited with a woman in Helena who linked me to several other Montana folks in the Helena area.

Let me know, happy to help.
Denise 
RBHR 2/14/08 Dr. Rogerson

hipshot

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 01:17:19 PM »
Don't mean to hijack your post :-[ but I am also here in montana and I am just starting the process and talked to worldmed assist just yestersday.
My girlfriend asked the same question about the plane ride home.
I would have never imagined I would find another montana patient.
If you have any helpful info I would be greatly appreciated. 8)
Who was the travel provider, price ,etc.
 :-[

montanahippy

• 9 days post-op
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 12:59:56 PM »
Thanks for the replies, folks. Digging further into things it's pretty obvious this is the only way to go for an active person with at least the potential for longevity. Dr. Bose crops up everywhere, regardless of what medical tourism site you use. The trip is just the trip, from a "comfort" standpoint. Nice to hear from fellow Montanans.

montanahippy

• 9 days post-op
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 01:15:47 PM »
Hi, Hipshot,

As near as I can tell, the hospital and/or Dr. Bose pay a flat commission to any number of sites and the price is the same ($9480) no matter who you go with. I have tentatively settled on India America Global Solutions, Ltd. largely because they are in Denver and I had a "friend-of-a-friend" connection. Anyone who has good advice is welcome to jump in!

They will make all the travel arrangements, but I am still working on definition of extra costs, since I think the initial hotel and the recovery accomodations are extra. Im in Butte, so I need to do more research on where to fly out of - here, Bozeman, or Billings. Looks like the flying time is about 30 hours any way you do it. Hoping to go in late Sept. or Oct.

Denise - Yeah, it would be good to get any info I can from others in our own third-world country. Thanks.

Larry

hipshot

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 01:41:19 PM »
Montana Hippy
I sent you a PM

Vicky

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 11:31:52 PM »
I have met several medical tourism companies and never believed in them before.  But I have to say that I do highly recommend WorldMed Assist.  I met him personally and know that he does business the way I do business, upfront and detail oriented.  He just signed a deal with Swiss Re, a huge re-insurer and let me tell you, that speaks volumes for a huge company like that to select WorldMed Assist. It does not cost you anything to go with them and they plan everything down to even contacting your family back home to let them know how your surgery went.  Great follow through and very professional.  AND, I do not recommend just anyone as many of you that know me, know.

Vicky

montanahippy

• 9 days post-op
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 01:04:18 PM »
Thanks for your timely post, Vicky. Helped save me from a real facilitator wreck.

Larry

millerp

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 12:21:11 PM »
I hope all goes well.  I got to be very honest with you.  After my surgery I could not sit for more than 5 minutes at a time and only 2 or 3 times a day for the first week, and then by the second week I could sit for 15 minutes at a time.  It wasn't until 4 weeks that I could sit for a couple of hours at a time.  Hopefully you will have some recovery time in India and/or you can recline your seat all the way o the plane.  maybe take first class.  For $1,000 or $2,000 extra it may be worth it.  But.... you may be different.  Maybe sitting will be OK. Good luck and God bless. 

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 01:41:41 PM »
Hi

I just wanted to say the sitting varies person to person.  I was released at 2 1/2 days from the hospital and I could sit for an hour or more at a time.  I ate in the dinning room of the Holiday Inn for each meal.  I always got up and walked after 45 mintues or an hour, but had no problem sitting for a couple hours in the evening with a stretch break. After a few days, it was not much of a problem for me and the patients I was with in Belgium.

So everyone is different.  Hopefully, you will be able to sit longer than 15 mintutes after you are released from the hospital.

Normallly all the overseas doctors insist you stay until they feel you are capable of flying long distances.  I got up and stretched and walked every hour on the plane.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat