+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: lengthened leg tightness  (Read 8299 times)

peteuk

lengthened leg tightness
« on: September 18, 2008, 01:22:47 PM »
hi all, i have had a thr with a metal on metal joint , i have ended up with an 1/2 inch longer leg , i have a real tightness in that i can only raise my leg in a laying on my back posistion to about 80 degrees, i wish the 90 degree rule could apply to me! .

i think the tendons and ligaments have all been tightened but at six months i thought i would have been gaining some more flexability ,

i see cory foulks had his leg lengthened by 22mm does anyone know if he had flexability problems at first ,

can tendons and ligaments be stretched over time ?  i hope so ,

most things are not a problem but i want to get back into  surfing and i need to bend my leg more to get to my feet , pete
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 01:27:33 PM by peteuk »

graza

• Right Mid Head Resection McMinn 20/08/08
Re: lengthened leg tightness
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 01:41:53 PM »
Hi ya mate, I'm a qualified Personal Trainer who's just undergone BMHR in the UK.

It could be you're using your lower back instead of firing your glutes (ie: tucking tailbone in and under whilst keeping your back relaxed.) Instead your pelvis could be tilting forward (the most relaxed position for the hips) thus hyperextending your back and tightening your hip flexors at the front. Probably be worth your while getting in touch with a decent physio in your area.

Connective tissue ie: Ligaments/tendons can increase in flexibility if developmental stretching is applied correctly. In your case avoid any balistic stretching (bouncing into a stretch) once again your physio should be able to help you increase your flexibility using maybe PNF stretches.

Keep me posted Boss

Graza

peteuk

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 01:54:29 PM »
hi graza, thanks for the quick reply, i saw the doctor today for my 6 month appointment and he was pretty non comital about whether i could gain my full flexibility, i have been doing stretches on  my own , i am off to see a physio tomorrow so i hope they can help , i live in cornwall and its killing me that i can/t get in when the waves are good, pete

graza

• Right Mid Head Resection McMinn 20/08/08
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 03:18:23 AM »
Man, I'm in the same boat!
Waves here been pumping all last weekend and the early part of this week. a foot over head and clean as a whistle. My fiancee's learning so it was good to take time out and watch how she's getting on, instead of paddling around furiously trying to beat the crowds to the peak!. Anyway bud, hopefully things work out with your physio, stick at it mate, it'll come good! 
I'm from Jersey CI so if ever i'm over i'll let ya know and we can grap some waves and compare scars!  :-\
Later dude
Graza

cgraves

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 11:56:47 PM »
hi,
right hip resurfaced May 23 2008 55 years old,
active athlete, that did not really take best of care of self
leg length about 1/2 inch longer on right now
otherwise hip appears good,

recovery was very difficult
rom very limited, lots of tightness
after much pt, not very useful, lots of frustration, being really scared
working out and stretching like a mad man, somewhat useful but slow progress
at three months out I engaged the services of a personal trainer, who is also a chiropractor
much progress made, still cannot tie shoes easily but is better, but all other measures are improving very quickly
this made all the difference
I am confident in my eventual recovery

I am a rock climber and mountaineer.
I intend to start climbing again in the late spring 2009.

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat