+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Gotter Done !!  (Read 3156 times)

B.I.L.L.

Gotter Done !!
« on: September 27, 2008, 11:42:29 AM »
   Had my surgery last monday (9-22-08) and finally made it back to my computer today.  So far everyday has gotten a little easier and it feels great to be back home.  I am thankfull for this website as it helped me to know what to expect before, during and after. Thank you to all in here. I still have a lot of swelling and am on and off with the ice throughout the day.  I am also sooo thankfull for the posts about "clunking" or "knocking" because so far that has been the scariest sensation I have had, had I not been reading in here for awhile I would have not known that can happen and be normal I would have hit the panic button instantly ha ha, that is one eerie sensation.  I keep you updated as I am able to spend more time in a chair parked in front of my comp. Thanks again, Bill 

JeanM

Re: Gotter Done !!
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 12:27:13 PM »
Congratulations Bill!  Welcome to Hippydom!  Good luck through your recovery.  We all know what you mean about not being able to sit comfortably for too long right after surgery!
Uncemented/Biomet/Gross/8-27-08

wayne-0

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 05:07:34 PM »
Hey Bill,
I'm stoked for you.Surfing in a few months for you doesn't that sound good? I am still waiting for my appeal decision.I'll let you know.
                                                 Wayne-0
11-7-08  Bilat/Dr.Ball/ASR

mitch

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 11:34:06 AM »
Gratz bill,
I'm having mine done 10-27. I'm pretty nervous but you sound like your doing awsome and that makes me feel better.
best of luck to you
Mitch

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 01:57:17 PM »
Good luck Mitch.  It's been a week and am walking in the walker pretty good and doing pt to revive the muscles.  I won't lie the 1st couple days were not too fun but everyday has been better than the one before so I am very very happy for that.  Good luck !  I will say go in as light and strong as possible and work on arm strength up until the day before.  Small irratating things like wrinkles in the bed sheets for example are much easier for (my wife in my case) to deal with if you can lift yourself off the bed. Getting in and out of bed and out of chairs, off the toilet etc. require you lifting a great deal of your body weight with your arms.  I rented a hospital bed with a trapeeze, and a toilet chair with a splash guard to make life easier and am glad I did, it has made the first week home much easier than it would have been.  Also make sure to get two of those little bottles to pee in, one for the car and one for the house. I installed a complete tall toilet before I went in and thought that would do it, but am so glad I rented that stuff. The problem is getting on and off the throne, you will need handles or something to push off of in addition to the higher seat. I spent $330.00 to rent that stuff for a month, set up and removal included and that has been the best 10 bucks a day I have ever spent. Any other tips I can think of I will surely share in here. Good luck!!
Bill.

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 03:44:19 PM »
Bill

Congratulations on the new hip. You are an official Surface Hippy!

I had a bunch of the clunking too.  I just had to wait until all the nuts and bolts got tightened up  ;)

I had that for many months, but it got less and less as time went on. 

Keep up the good work.  You will be running around soon!

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

TomBuell

• Right Birmingham Hip Resurfacing 7/1/08
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2008, 03:48:04 PM »
No more limping for you B.I.L.L.!

- Tom

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2008, 09:05:33 PM »
Thanks you guys 8)

LKS

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2008, 05:04:29 PM »
Hi B.I.L.L.
I am preparing for HR on my right side in 2 weeks.  I have been reading about the preparations you made like renting or installing a high commode.  I have called several hospital supply places and they all say they don't rent the commodes b/c of sanitary concerns.  What kind of place did you go for the rentals?  Does the commode have handles on it or did you have to get something separate? 

My bedroom is on the second floor.  Do you think I should bring a bed downstairs?  Or is going up and down a couple times a day ok.  I have a recliner chair on the first floor I can park myself in and a bathroom on both levels. 

Thanks for all the tips.  Good luck with the recovery.

Laura from CT

xocy

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 12:04:21 AM »
Hi Laura, I got my "tall" potty at the hospital. If you are traveling by car, it folds easily. It is a "must have".

Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Gross
L 6/23/08  R  6/25/08
Mike
Bilateral
Dr. Thomas Gross
Left 6/23/08  Right 6/25/08

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 03:37:08 AM »
Hi B.I.L.L.
I am preparing for HR on my right side in 2 weeks.  I have been reading about the preparations you made like renting or installing a high commode.  I have called several hospital supply places and they all say they don't rent the commodes b/c of sanitary concerns.  What kind of place did you go for the rentals?  Does the commode have handles on it or did you have to get something separate? 

My bedroom is on the second floor.  Do you think I should bring a bed downstairs?  Or is going up and down a couple times a day ok.  I have a recliner chair on the first floor I can park myself in and a bathroom on both levels. 

Thanks for all the tips.  Good luck with the recovery.

Laura from CT

Hey Laura from CT,  I live in San Clemente , CA.  and rented the stuff from a place called  A-1  Home Health Care.   I paid 40 bucks to rent the tall toilet seat for a month.  I installed a tall toilet before I went in but when I was in the hospital I realized that I would need the handles to push off of as much as the tall seat height.  It's basicly a patio chair looking deal with a lid and a sleeve that goes down into the bowl.  I rented the bed because the first couple days after surgery I knew I would not be able to climb in and out of our bed because it is really tall, and I wanted to be parked in the living room with the luxury of the TV Ha Ha.  Now at two weeks out I think I probably could have gone without the bed, but it sure has made it easier than it would have been.  Here's a pic of the throne I rented, its taller than the "Tall" toilet, but the handles are the biggie (for me) Good Luck !!

LKS

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 10:42:06 AM »
Thanks Mike and B.I.L.L. for the information and the picture was a great idea.  Now I know what to look for!  Thanks for caring.
Laura

Barbara

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 12:47:26 AM »
   Had my surgery last monday (9-22-08) and finally made it back to my computer today.  So far everyday has gotten a little easier and it feels great to be back home.  I am thankfull for this website as it helped me to know what to expect before, during and after. Thank you to all in here. I still have a lot of swelling and am on and off with the ice throughout the day.  I am also sooo thankfull for the posts about "clunking" or "knocking" because so far that has been the scariest sensation I have had, had I not been reading in here for awhile I would have not known that can happen and be normal I would have hit the panic button instantly ha ha, that is one eerie sensation.  I keep you updated as I am able to spend more time in a chair parked in front of my comp. Thanks again, Bill 

Happy to hear you are recovering well Bill. Can you tell me more about the "Clunking" or "Knocking" that you mentioned. My surgery is scheduled on Mon and I imagine this would be very frightening if you don't know what to expect.

Thanks Barbara
Barbara
RBHR 10/13/2008. LBHR 12/08/2008. LBHR revision 1/18/2010, LTHR 9/23 2011, RTHR 12/16 2011............
Dr Pritchet, Seattle

B.I.L.L.

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 01:26:21 AM »

Happy to hear you are recovering well Bill. Can you tell me more about the "Clunking" or "Knocking" that you mentioned. My surgery is scheduled on Mon and I imagine this would be very frightening if you don't know what to expect.

Thanks Barbara

Don't really know a better way to describe it besides clunking or knocking.  It kinda feels like it almost hangs up for a second and then "snaps" back ?  Or if you take your elbow and roll it around on a table it will kind of feel "bumpy" like that for lack of a better word ? It's just not smooth and feels like its wiggling around some. Like an old car with a worn out front end.  The good news is that everyone says its normal because the muscles are loose and it goes away over time.  At 16 days out it has gotten much much better and doesn't do it nearly as often as the first week to 10 days, but it is still a daily thing. I have read in here from several people that it will linger on and off for months while your muscles heal.  I am so so glad I stumbled onto this site before my surgery because had I felt that without reading about it a little first I think I would have vapor locked.  Just knowing that its normal and will go away helped me alot.  Keep us posted and Good Luck on monday !!

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat