+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: 4 days post op Dr. Bose  (Read 2272 times)

travellinghippy

4 days post op Dr. Bose
« on: October 07, 2008, 04:07:56 AM »
Hi, folks,

This really MontanHippy in travelling disguise. I am in Chennai, almost exactly4 days post op and doing very well. Dr. Bose is a superb surgeon and the procedure went picture perfect. I can't emphasize enough how critically important it is to get your sorry butt in shape, and lose any excess weight you can, by whatever means necessary, before the surgery!!!! Muscle tone is the answer to most all the problems, especially for those of us over 60. If you kid yourself otherwise, you will pay in painful recovery time.

I am now walking with only light assist from crutches and have been sitting with little discomfort from the surgical site since day one. Any time you sit as long as you do post-surgery, you're butt will ache. but there is little discomfort from the incision (only about 4.5 inches).

My big problem was a prostate that reacted badly to surgery and all but choked off urine discharge. Unlike the US, in India they will not cathetarize until flow stops completely. To compound the problem, they do not automatically give stool softeners with pain killers, a painful combination.

The doctors speak very good English and it goes downhill from there. Very frustrating and confusing at times, for both sides, and contributed to my problem going on much longer than it should have. However, we all lived through it. The Sisters are generally very kind, concerned and adept.

The trip over for me was about 24 hours and not bad. I was able to upgrade to economy plus for one long leg, but United Lufthansa economy class was more than tolerable from Frankfurt to Chennai. Was met outside the terminal building at 1:00 AM by a driver with a large sign (my name) in a LARGE crowd. No problem. The ride to the hotel (I used the Residency, very nice) was hair-raising. The most used auto accessory in India is the horn.
Don't expect the driver to more than minimally conversant. You will see large numbers of people sleeping sitting in the street.

Also don't expect the Apollo Specialty Hospital to be the shining white edifice on their website. Very drab +50 year old building on a narrow street. Arrived at 10 AM the second day and was shown to the Platinum Suite, where we rich folks stay. Going for your lab work - x-rays, ECG, etc. will be a bit of culture shock for most Americans. The rest of the hospital is not air conditioned and very crowded. The most shocking thing for me was that the entire traffic of this 5-story building flows through a single 5x10 elevator.

While you will receive ample and attentive personal care in the Platinum Suite, outside you are in the hands of technicians whose only goal is mass flow. Your post-op x-ray will be just as rushed and pushy as the pre-op. You'll wait for ages to get on the elevator and many stops to get off. You may go past your original floor 5 or 6 times before you reach your destination.

Compared to talking to nurses in your own hospital, you will find it necessary to double and triple check to make sure you are being understood. If something doesn't come out on time or right, question it immediately.

Overall, so far, It has been positive and I would certainly choose the option again. I'll update more later.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:02:17 AM by Pat Walter »

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: 4 days post op Dr. Bose
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
Congratulations on your new hip. Thank You for sharing your story. I gave you your own topic - because you deserve it.

I hope you will give us some updates as your recovery progresses.

Interesting observation about the hospital and staff. Real stories help other people.

I wish you the very best and hope your recovery continues well for you.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

hipshot

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 11:24:04 PM »
I agree with  not  sugar coating on the comunication issue and other issues that people should be aware of while in India.
 BUTTTT

I personally had worse issues right here in montana hospitals.
Some examples that caused big problems for me are blood tests scrambled because of comunication issues and color coding of blood samples.
Meds prescribed without proper doses, and mis diagnoses that were never acknolodged that led to extreme cost overuns. I won't even go into billing issues.
You may notice that I have no trust in the hospitals that treated me in the three largest cities in montana they all dropped the ball big time and thier incompitent staff and carless doctors have on more than one occasion led to me and my families complete distrust in our health care here in Montana.
I believe all of the issues were from a lack of communication and lack of the hospital staff attention to detail.
I know how scary it can be to let your familys life and limb in the hands of people that can't follow orders because they have not been trained to comunicate which is in my mind the single most important issue when it comes to saving life and limb.
It is even more frustrating when they all speak the same language and the lines of comunication still fail.
I would rather go to India and be operated in a alley than to stay in montana and struggle with this system.
Just my opinion

montanahippy

• 9 days post-op
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 11:40:11 AM »
Part 2:

I ended up staying an extra day in the hospital because of the urinary problems, but the hip surgery recovery was phenomenal. It turned out my initial info the incision was wrong, the length is actually around 7 inches, but it was well on its way to healing by the time I was discharged. Dr. Bose gave me permission to come home two days earlier than planned, after my final checkup on Monday, October 13.

I went to the Ideal Beach Resort, next to Fisherman's Cove, for the weekend. It was very comfortable and a pleasant change from the hospital. Air conditioning was marginal because the entire state was suffering a severe power shortage and the room unit kept kicking out due to low voltage. There were complete blackouts for 10-15 minutes several times a day.

An Ideal driver took me back to the hospital Monday afternoon for a final checkup and dressing change. The incision was completely closed and the Steri-Strips were starting to fall away. The same driver took me to the airport and dropped me off about 8 PM. Then the fun began.

There was an armed guard at the airport door checking tickets. Since I had an e-ticket, it took a few minutes of talking to get inside. Then I was outside a fenced area with no ticket counters in sight and another armed guard that wouldn't let me inside the fence until 2 hours before the flight (1:45 AM). Sit waiting for 3 hours plus. Slow process getting ticketed and to the gate. Minimal assistance. Finally on Lufthansa headed home.

Knowing what I know now, I would have paid closer attention to connecting flights, but my choices from Montana were more limited than from more urban areas. With the initial wait plus five hour layovers in both Frankfurt and Denver, I was 39 hours waiting in airports or flying. Even with TED hose and frequent exercising and walks, my leg swelled a lot. Tough trip.

Got home at 12:30 AM on Tuesday, Oct. 14. It took until Sunday morning to feel normal again. Very tired and getting the swelling back down. However, there was very little pain from the surgery and I didn't need my crutches at all. Family, hot showers and home cooking are great medicine.

My only limitation for 30 days is a pillow between my legs when lying on my side. I am 17 days post-op, walking with only minor aches and pains (no pain meds or crutches), driving (even the Jeep), and playing on the floor with grandkids. Especially compared to a THR, it is miraculous surgery.

The trip is long, the country is foreign, and home is a long ways away, so plan carefully. It can be a nightmare or an adventure, depending on the individual. The medical care is excellent overall, and Dr. Bose in an artist. My total cost, including airfare, phone cards, and all the associated misc. costs was $11,389. Again, more urban hippies can do it $500-$1000 cheaper on the airfare. WorldMed Assist was great and there is no extra cost for their services.

Good luck to all. Wherever you get your resurfacing, don't put it off!!!!!! 

hipshot

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 08:57:44 PM »
travelinghippie

I sent you a PM.

Good to hear you are back :)

Hipshot

obxpelican

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:24:13 PM »
Montanahippy,

That was some of the most interesting stories, glad you made it ok.  Dr. Bose is supposed to be really good.  You write very well and I enjoyed reading it.

Chuck
Chuck
RH/Biomet U/C Dr. Gross/Lee Webb
8-6-08

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat