+-

Advertisement

Author Topic: Leg Perthese Disease and Hip Resurfacing  (Read 1734 times)

Shawn in Northern Ca.

Leg Perthese Disease and Hip Resurfacing
« on: October 08, 2008, 11:38:48 PM »
I have a few questions for the group in the hopes that you all can steer me in the right direction.  The first is; Does anyone in the group have Leg Perthese Disease that has recieved HR?  The second: is has anyone had to utilize the cup that has to either be screwed into the pelvis or the three pronged cup so that the cup will stay in place until bone grows around the cup?  The third is: Has anyone recieved the new CT Scan that was just approved to measure the dimensions of the pelvis and femur to determine a more precise measurements?  If yes to any of these questions I would love to hear your experience/advice in these areas.  I am scheduled for resurfacing the 29th of this month but the one concern is that I don't have a neck on the femur and my pelvis is shallow, both due to leg perthese from childhood 30 years ago.  I was hoping for anyone that can provide guidance as my Dr., (Dr. Ure) has suggested I get the CT Scan to make sure (100%) that I can take the acetabular fitting and that the femural head and be resurfaced properly.  I am open for any tips or advice.  Thank you Shawn

Pat Walter

• Patricia Walter
  • Administrator
  • Owner/Webmaster of Surface Hippy
    • Surface Hippy about Hip Resurfacing
Re: Leg Perthese Disease and Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 02:41:55 AM »
Hi Shawn

First, Dr. Ure is one of the best hip resurfacing surgeons in the US.  You are in good hands.  Whatever he suggests would be from the great amount of experience he has.

I know of a few people that had Leg Perthese, but am not sure there are any on my board here.   There were on the Yahoo Hip Resurfacing Group.  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/surfacehippy/

They had sucessful hip resurfacings.

I am not sure about the new CT scan.  I do know many of the newer hip resurfacing surgeons are using computer aided surgery.  The really experienced pros place a hip more exact than the computer does, but not all doctor have done thousands of resurfacings.  So the computer aided surgery does make sure your device is placed properly.

I am not sure what Dr. Ure is talking about is the same.  I do know I would trust his judgement since he is a very experienced surgeon with many happy patients.  The placement of the hip device is very important so I assume any tool that helps will also help ensure a better outcome.

Some people have had the cups that are screwed in or have prongs.  Again, they are used for special cases because a slipped cup usually means a revision to a THR or a second surgery to place the cup again.   So the doctor feels you need a special cup - by all means listen to him. 

Normally if you have a lot of lingering questions about your doctor, you should get a second opinion.  These questions thought, seem more technical rather than not having faith that Dr. Ure is a good surgeon. 

It doesn't sound like he is suggesting anything unusual and is only trying to make sure you have the best outcome possible.

Keep in touch.

Pat

Webmaster/Owner of Surface Hippy
3/15/06 LBHR De Smet

Shawn in Northern Ca.

Re: Leg Perthese Disease and Hip Resurfacing
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 01:55:55 AM »
Thank you Pat,
I appreciate your insight.  I totally agree with you.  Dr. Ure has a great record and after having two appointments with him my wife and I have found him to be an incredible person as well.  He genuinely listens to the patient and provides honest feedback in a caring and compassionate way.  My questions to the group were sent out to get all your feedback to help me make better decisions along the way.  I know whether it is a resurfacing or total hip, I have the right surgeon.  After attending the hospital seminar today I am truly hoping for the resurfacing though!  Thank you for the response.  You must keep totally busy with this site and I for one am truly appreciative.  thank you and God Bless.
Shawn

Advertisements

Recent Posts

Donate Thru Pay Pal

Surface Hippy Gear

Owner/Webmaster

Patricia Walter- Piano Player Pat